Sailing on the Hudson River

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Richard G.

Sailing on the Hudson River

Post by Richard G. »

Curious to hear about sailing possibilities on the Hudson River, perhaps near Croton or so... and certainly what adventures might be possible in either direction.

Thanks.
Bill Goldsmith

Re: Sailing on the Hudson River

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

These are my home waters. I used to sail out of Croton, and now out of Shattemuc Yacht Club a few miles south in Ossining.

The wide part of the Hudson River starting a few miles south of the Tappan Zee Bridge and extending about 10 miles north up to Peekskill is known as the Tappan Zee. The sailing is great. Here are some key attributes:

--There is ample sailing room. Contrary to some assumptions I have heard expressed, one is not constantly short tacking in a confined space.
--The native American name for the Hudson was Muheakantuck, or the "river that flows both ways." There are currents on the river, and depending on the time of day, flow north or south. It is an estuary. If you're congizant of the currents, it makes for interesting navigation.
--Conditions are variable. Sometimes we have summers of light breeze, but the last few years have been breezy. Wind shifts are the norm, and learning to deal with the wind shifts makes you a better sailor. In the summer, the prevailing breeze is from the south, with occasional northwesterlies. Southerlies typically max out around 15 knots. Northwesterlies can gust over 30, particualrly in the late summer and fall. That's when all the other boats are tied up in marinas and the Cape Dorys are heading out.
--It's not crowded. Slips can be had with no wait list, and moorings are available as well. Costs tend to be a bit less than LI Sound or NJ. There is rarely a feeling of sailing around too much traffic. There are tugs and barges that ply the river, as well as some sizeable cargo ships. They monitor 13 and are very very careful of recreational traffic and are happy to have a short conversation with you on the radio to make sure there are no mishaps.
--There is an active racing community. The Hudson River Yacht Racing Association and its members host a racing series all summer, all up and down the river. There are also many club races, and the clubs on the river tend to be very relaxed and welcoming.
--There are some very nice anchorages around Croton Point. Both sides of the point are available so you can always find an anchorage in the lee.
--Looking beyond, it's about 30 miles north of the Statue of Liberty. If you want to go to Long Island Sound, leave Croton about 6 hours before the current changes north at Hell Gate, and you will make Hell Gate with a fair current. The trip to City Island will take about 8 to 9 hours. From there, you have all of Long Island Sound and New England in front of you for cruising. You can also head south out of NY Harbor and head towards New Jersey. Sandy Hook, Atlantic Highlands and its environs are great cruising destinations.
--Looking North, the Hudson gets a bit narrow north of Peekskill, but is a beautiful cruise through the Hudson Highands. You can go all the way to Albany, and transit the canal system to Lake Champlain.
--Finally, the season does end, unlike in California. The river often freezes, so the season is generally over by Thanksgiving, and starts up again in March or April.
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
Richard G.

Post by Richard G. »

Bill,

Thanks for the information. I am actually originally from the area and so your geographical references and those regarding current are clearly understood. I have not, however, sailed on the Hudson other than a brief outing from the 79th Street Boat Basin south to lower Manhattan and back and if i recall correctly, a fair bit of that was spent motoring against the current.

While California is terrific, there is still "no place like home”.

Thanks again,

Richard
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Some of my fondest memories are of sailing and campaigning my Lightning out of the Nyack Boat Club. A wonderful organization that is superlative in every respect, IMHO.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
joemerchant

Post by joemerchant »

Richard G. wrote:Bill,

Thanks for the information. I am actually originally from the area and so your geographical references and those regarding current are clearly understood. I have not, however, sailed on the Hudson other than a brief outing from the 79th Street Boat Basin south to lower Manhattan and back and if i recall correctly, a fair bit of that was spent motoring against the current.

While California is terrific, there is still "no place like home”.

Thanks again,

Richard
Seeing that you are now out of MDR, I can say the best times in my life were much younger days working for Bombard as Harbor Patrol in Emerald Bay two seasons. They even paid me a little over $3 an hour to do it and free mooring. Secret is, I would have done it for free.