Tides Marine Sail Track

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Tides Marine Sail Track

Post by Evergreen »

Hello:

Does anyone have any experiences with Tides Marine sail tracks?

Since we purchased Evergreen we have had a Tides Marine mainsail track on the boat. I must say that they work like a dream (A+ rating) ---- The mainsail literally falls down when the halyard is released and I can easily pull the sail most of the way up without using the winch.

However, our first track lasted only three years before it developed disconcerting fine cracks. That said - customer service was excellent and the company replaced the track at a discount.
Now, five years later, I find myself in the same situation --- with many fine cracks in the track.
It seems rather strange to me that such an essential and also expensive piece of equipment last such a short period of time. Could it be temperature related --- we sail and store our boat in the north. The track is apparently much more supple in the heat of the sun.

I would like to know your experiences with Tides Tracks.

Also, does anyone know of an alternative track system that might be more durable?

Many thanks for your input.
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Russell

Re: Tides Marine Sail Track

Post by Russell »

Wow, I have had no problems with mine, and its spent most of its life with the tropical sun beating on it. Maybe it does not like the cold main winters?
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

my Tides Marine track has been thru 2 Maine winters and so far no trouble. I do store my mast at home, on saw horses, covered with plastic, making sure the track side is down so it doesn't accumulate water that could freeze and cause cracking. I know that my furler foil would crack, if stored with the luff groove facing up, for the same reason. Perhaps this is the cause of your cracking.

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

16 years and I do see crazing in it but I believe/hope its just surface damage.

Dalton
mahalocd36

Post by mahalocd36 »

Ours has been on the boat for probably 10 years now, mast stored outside in New England every winter. No problems - except for once when the boatyard stored it 'track down' all winter and left little indents in it where it was against the mast rack supports. It got a little crushed there but seemed to work itself out over the summer.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com