Composite Mast for a 25D?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gcm52

Composite Mast for a 25D?

Post by gcm52 »

I am looking into the cost of a composite mast for a 25D to make it easier to handle when lowering with a tabernacle (so my wife and I can trailer it and set it up in remote locations). However I am sure this costs an arm and a leg. Does anyone have any experience with a composite mast for a 25D? Costs? Issues?
CD 25D #120
TerryO

Re: Composite Mast for a 25D?

Post by TerryO »

I don't know anything about a composite mast but I have modified my 25D to step the mast with a gin pole. I installed a hinged mast step and use 10' gin pole with a small winch. I have raised the stock mast a few times now in total control. One person can do it but two are better. One to help steady the mast and ensure standing rigging is not catching on anything. If you are interested I can take some pictures.
1982 CD 25D - 'Alyssa Dawn'
Harrison Lake, British Columbia, Canada
Doug Hill

Post by Doug Hill »

Terry
I would be very interested in photos and instructions on your mast raising/lowering system.

Thanks,
Doug
Doug Hill
RonSanga

Post by RonSanga »

I travel with Wind Horse often, even though I was told I couldn't. I load and unload her on the trailer and raise and lower the mast single handed. I attach the trailer winch strap to the top of an A-frame and attach the lower end of the furler to the top of the A-frame. Next I install two block and tackle rigs to the forward lowers so I can "steer" the mast due to wind or a leaning road or something else. Now I can just crank it up or down. I can step the mast, bend on the sails and splash in around two and a half hours. Making ready for travel takes a little less time.
I love traveling to interesting cruising places so to me it's worth the effort. I doesn't take a lot of money, just practice and being very careful.
Gary H

EZ Mast Lift

Post by Gary H »

http://www.ezmastlift.com

I purchased the components to build this A-frame for my Cape Dory 22 and used it to lower my mast this Fall. Worked like a charm. The kit costs about $100 and you need to add two lengths of threaded medium duty electrical conduit. I am very happy with this system and it takes the stress out of mast raising and lowering.
CDSOA Member 1389
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

I suspect a CF mast and the proper mast fittings would equal or exceed value of your boat.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
gcm52

Post by gcm52 »

I did rig a mast tabernacle, which works OK, but it is at the limits of my wife's strength to handle the mast after it is lowered. It hangs well over the bow after it is lowered and we need a person on each end moving the mast so that it rests on the bow and stern pulpits. A composite mast would be much lighter but expensive...For those that lower the mast single handed, do you lift it by yourself after you lower it?
CD 25D #120