Single handed Typhoon tiller

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mkolb

Single handed Typhoon tiller

Post by mkolb »

Can I ask the group for their experience using a typhoon single handed, as I must do? Securing the tiller to take down sails, etc is my main concern. I have seen (not used) devices like the tiller clutch but there must be a tried and true solution from the old school that works without the help of yet another device.

Any experience out there?

Thanks

Matt kolb
Megunticook

Re: Single handed Typhoon tiller

Post by Megunticook »

I have a Ty Senior but I think it handles similarly. When single handing I've used an elastic shock cord, with a loop on either end to go over the jibsheet cleats and a clove hitch around the tiller handle. I'm sure there are better methods, but this has worked for me.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

All it takes to secure a tiller in whatever position is desired is a relatively short length of line. No fancy gizmos required.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
ronkberg

Post by ronkberg »

I have an Alberg 22 and had two Typhoons. I sail single handed mostly and so have added a roller furling genoa. When the sail trim is needed, I heave-to, which is an excellent way to settle these boats, and then shorten or drop the mainsail. Then the roller does the shortening of the genny.

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
wsfanning
Location: S/V "Muse" '78 Typhoon #1524, Sandusky Sailing Club, Sandusky, OH

Post by wsfanning »

Agreed. Yet another device for this and that....
But frankly the tiller clutch is a fantastic piece of hardware. It's intuitive in it's function and works seamlessly.
For a single-hander, one who has a pretty big learning curve and that's me, it's been an excellent addition to my Typhoon.
swhfire21

Post by swhfire21 »

I had a tiller tamer on my Ty and have a tiller clutch on my 26. Both work well and can give you a few seconds to take care of minor adjustments. In my experience you will not get minutes to work with, especially on the Ty because the balance/trim of boat will change as soon as you move.

As mentioned in an earlier post learn how to heave to, it is the only way to get a few minutes to make major adjustments and take care of business down below or up forward while single handling without scrambling around like a crazy person or risking major chaos. I prefer these devices over lashing the tiller as it's faster and simpler than lashing (control at your fingers). Also, don't trust locking the tiller while sailing anywhere close to downwind, the risk and worry are not worth it. It also helps to have everything controlled from the cockpit, although the amount of lines can make things a little cluttered.

I've gotten used to not having many lines in the cockpit on the 26 and would seriously consider a wind vane self steer if I knew they could be engaged/disengaged and adjusted quickly enough to not be a hassle (While pretty good at it, I just hate heaving to make adjustments up forward). I've found that going forward to adjust the topping lift, halyard tension or to clear a hung up jib sheet just take too long to trust locking the tiller (I'm into be relaxed, not rushing around).
Steve
Pleasant Journey, Morgan 35
Previously:
'85 CD 26, Hull No. 30
'74 Typhoon Hull No. 789
Great Bay/Little Egg Harbor, NJ