Boarding ladder for Typhoon?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

grluecke

Re: Boarding ladder for Typhoon?

Post by grluecke »

That does look like a nice ladder! I'm not sure how I missed that in my search.

I don't have the dimensions required to get a quote, as my boat is in Maine and I am not, does anyone have a rough idea of the cost? I won't be able to get an actual quote until next spring.

Additionally, I would prefer a removable ladder, as opposed to the permanent installation. If people would like to comment of the pros and cos of each type of installation, that would be helpful. On the one hand, I'll bet that it is very stable because of the attachment to the rail. On the other, I'm wondering if it gets in the way when boarding from a dingy.

But: "...stay away from products made in China." ?? I agree that there is wide potential for variance in (both directions) of quality, but if all the things made in China were to disappear, you'd be standing in an empty world.

I already bough that ladder--heck, at eighty bucks, it was close to the price of a couple of shackles, or the dual LED white/red cabin light I just got.

I was very happy at how sturdy it is, and with the quality of the welds and assembly. The steel? Well, until it touches sea water, we will not know for sure. For me, it is a good starting place for building a custom ladder that will hang over my rail.

You are "on" for the Guinness! This will be a couple-of-year-test, so if you happen to get close to Portland, ME in the summer, or Des Moines, IA in the winter, we should get together, and I'll just pay up in advance!
Greg and Jennifer
Oceans' Poem CD30K #245
Cundy's Harbor, ME

We hail out of Portland these days!
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

grluecke wrote:I don't have the dimensions required to get a quote, as my boat is in Maine and I am not, does anyone have a rough idea of the cost?
This site will give you a rough idea of costs:.

http://www.mysticstainless.com/foldaway_pricelist.html

They are not cheap. But they are quality. You get what you pay for. When I became the caretaker of S/V Bali Ha'i, she already had a factory installed boarding ladder on the stern. It's in good condition. If it ever needs to be replaced I will buy a Mystic Stainless boarding ladder.

You mentioned that one of your concerns/criteria was a boarding ladder that your wife can use comfortably. I will wager another Guinness that she will not be happy with the Chinese-made boarding ladder. When I was married, my darling wife etched into my forehead (so that I would see it every time I looked in the mirror - she was so practical :wink: ) the phrase "Happy wife, happy life". I am confident your wife will be happy with a Mystic Stainless boarding ladder.

I hasten to add I have absolutely no connection with Mystic Stainless. I have actually never bought anything from them. I know of two sailors who did buy their boarding ladders and were VERY happy.

As for Chinese-made products, especially ones containing metal parts (or found to contain metal, like lead) you need only ask "Mr. Google" for a list of lawsuits, recalls, etc. There is "Zero" quality control in mfg. plants in China. If it can be done cheaper, regardless of health or safety risks, Chinese mfgs. will do it and then dump their inferior (and dangerous) products on American shores to be sold to unsuspecting Americans.

It may take a little more effort and possibly a few more dollars but you can almost always find an American-made product and avoid the unknown and unseen dangers of Chinese-made products.

Sorry for the rant. I will now step down from my "soap box". :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
grluecke

Post by grluecke »

Thanks, Robert!

That still does look to be the best option I have seen in ladders.

For any "normal" person, that will be the easiest, "turn-key" installation.

I'm an engineer, so I will waste much more than $700 of my time dinking with the Chinese ladder.

When it breaks, I will go back and get the good one!
Greg and Jennifer
Oceans' Poem CD30K #245
Cundy's Harbor, ME

We hail out of Portland these days!
svreleaseme

Post by svreleaseme »

Hi Everyone,
Early in this thread I posted that I use this ladder on our Ty. http://www.up-n-out.com/boat-ladders/#p ... el-hook-on

We use the hook on version that you will find at the link. We hook it over the toe rail along side the jib winch, and tie it off for safety. They come in different sizes for your convenience. I realize that if you are looking for a permeant mounted ladder this is may not be for you, although I can think of ways it can be secured on the poop deck and if you take an un-planned swim you can reach up and pull it down over the transom. But if you are looking for something to sit in a locker out of sight and not messing with the lines of the boat until you want it for a planned swim etc., stows compacted and locks in place when deployed. Then I suggest you look at this ladder. I have no connection with this company, I was just surprised that no one even commented on the ladder when I posted originally.
Randy
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

svreleaseme wrote:Hi Everyone,
Early in this thread I posted that I use this ladder on our Ty. http://www.up-n-out.com/boat-ladders/#p ... el-hook-on
. . .

I was just surprised that no one even commented on the ladder when I posted originally.
Randy
Randy:

I thought of posting a response/reply. While I cannot speak for the many others on this board, I did not reply because I was frankly put off by the website you posted. As you know, it shows a scantily clad young lady demonstrating the deployment and use of one of the boarding ladders sold by this company.

While I do not think I am overly sensitive to the display of the female form (I once had a dance pole named in my honor at the local nudie bar), I was shocked and appalled at the gratuitous use of a scantily clad young lady to advertise and promote these boarding ladders. :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Randy- that does look like a nice ladder, how many steps do you you use? Unfortunately for me the price uses up too many of my boat units. The 6 step actually cost more than my Ty did.
svreleaseme

Post by svreleaseme »

I believe I use the four step with the standard 2.5" stand off. I understand it's a bit pricy'. I willing to go without the caviar for a weekend to pay for it I was so desperate for a solution. . Robert, I'm sorry . I should have warned the site was totally sexist, objectified women in a shameful way and was for mature eyes only. However I feel this transgrestion needs to be over looked for the sake of improving safety on the high seas.
Randy
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Post by RIKanaka »

At least they didn't name them "In-N-Out" ladders". That would have been over the top.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

When I had a Typhoon, I used a portable ladder with the loop handles that could be hooked over the coaming board. I would place it over the winch for extra strength and never had a problem with it, Only my 22, I had a custom built stainless ladder with teak steps that mounts permanently on the transom. It was built by Butler Marine in PA and cost under $400 with shipping. I sent them photos of my transom with measurements and they sent me a drawing to look at. I am happy with the final product.
CDSOA Member 1389