new sails for Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

sonofasailor

new sails for Typhoon

Post by sonofasailor »

I just returned from the International Newport Boat show this weekend. What a great experience. I'm in the market for new sails for my restored 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon. I had a great discussion with the guys from Mack Sails out of Stuart Florida. They really make an outstanding sail.
I'm trying to decide if I should go with a full batten main sail or only have the top two battens full and the other two being 3/4 in length. Has anyone experienced a Typhoon with a full batten main sail. How did it perform for you and what did you like about it and what didn't you like about it? What is difficult to bring down and furl?
What about the jib. What size is best for the Typhoon? 100, 130, 0r 150? Has anyone every used a 170?

I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Dan
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Re: new sails for Typhoon

Post by Skeep »

I think the fervor of the Newport Show is great. We were there in 2013.

Yet the fervor about new sails for a Typhoon I think should be tempered by her intentional design and class. In my opinion, the sail plan for my Baggy Wrinkles isn't about sheer performance, or that edge I need, or what works "best." For in each case the criterion being applied has to do with other boats in mind, or speed, or a competitive factor. And none of these works for me.

I take a stock sail package from any number of suppliers Ullman Sails on my girl right now. But Peak reveals the standard package and even has a "step up" package that might satisfy one that seeks a performance bend.

Yet, like Oswego John, I'm most happy when the Typhoon is leaping along at her 4 to 5 kts and taking a bit of splash on her cuddy while with friends we enjoy the art of sailing in its most simple, if not the fastest, form.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I cannot speak to full battened sails on the TY but I sewed up a new main and jib for our old Typhoon from Sailrite kits and was very happy with them. The main was a standard but with two reef points and standard battens. The jib was a 100%. Worked very well and I passed MC scows on our little city lake here in Mpls, much to their chagrin. Now I did get a used mylar 130% from a guy who used to race his Ty and man was that fun. Had to roll it up though and store it the length of the cubby.

My preference would not to do full battens on boats of our design. The extra roach is not needed and will give more weather helm than speed. Plus I like to stop sailing when I release the main sheet. Full batten mains tend to keep going!
Paul
CDSOA Member
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

I love my sailrite sails.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
casampson

Post by casampson »

If anyone has had any experience with the Sail Store, I'd love to hear it. Looking at a 130% furling genoa for less than $400. Very tempting, but you know what they say about getting what you pay for...
pjust

Post by pjust »

casampson wrote: Very tempting, but you know what they say about getting what you pay for...
As my old man used to say, "You may or may not get what you pay for, but you sure don't get what you don't pay for!" :wink:
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
tom ricks

Post by tom ricks »

I've been very pleased with the 2 used sails I've bought from Bacon Sails in Annapolis.

I once was trying to buy a genoa there and the salesman said, No. I had told him what I was looking for and he said that yes, the sail was the right shape, but that it was the wrong weight for what I wanted--a genny for light winds.
agogates

Post by agogates »

Only positives to say about the Sail Store. I bought a CDI roller and genoa from them last year. Great service, price and quality. No issues.

Contact info:
Bill James
> The Sail Store
> sails@thesailstore.com
> 888-946-8242

Andy
S-Cape
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

The Northeast Fleet invited Marc Daniels of Squetegue Sailmakers to its winter meeting last year as a guest speaker. One of the subjects he addressed was full-batten sails specifically for Cape Dory boats, pros and cons. I later ordered a mainsail from him for my Ty (not full battened) and I am very happy with it. I'm sure he would be happy to talk to you about this and any other sail subject. His number is 563-3080 -- area code five zero eight.