Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender sailing question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jhumphrys

Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender sailing question

Post by jhumphrys »

Hi,

I just launched a Typhoon that my buddy and semi-restored. We have it in a marina very close to the mouth of the
cape cod canal which has a lot of boat traffic with boats going in all directions. We have only been out 2 times
so far but with boats passing both in front of us and behind us the wake from one boat on our stern came partially
over the stern and into the cockpit.

In our restoration we had to replace the floor. I think the typhoon that we have is the 36th one produced so
I assume that they introduced the self-bailing cockpit later in production. I assume that the ones that are self
bailing use scuppers.

Do others find the stern low and prone to water coming in from wakes and a following sea. I do a lot of power boating
and this is my first sailboat in the ocean. So, I'm a little green at this.

I just put a 6 hp Tohatsu on transom and I don't think that is the problem. this was one of the lightest kickers that
I could find.

Do most of you sailing in the ocean put a bildge pump in. The motor will charge a battery, so once I figure out
where to put the battery, I probably will add the pump.

I also thought about putting some weigth up front to bring the bow down a little, but I assume that will affect the
performance in a negative way.

Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

john
Jeff D

Re: Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender sailing question

Post by Jeff D »

John,

I have a Ty Daysailer, which also does not have a self bailing cockpit - it sits much more deeply than a Weekender with the floor ~12" below the waterline. I have never taken water over the stern and I also sail in Buzzards Bay which can be pretty choppy. Other than a little spray over the bow, all of my bilge water is from the rain. I think that the outboard may be contributing to the issue. I use a 2Hp Honda, which provides plenty of power and is widely used on Typhoons.

Jeff
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Not had the issue of waves coming over, yet.... However, my Typhoon Weekender is a 74 and has a self-bailing cockpit--Highly recommended! I would not attempt weighting at all to counter the transom.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Steve Darwin

Post by Steve Darwin »

Steep waves coming from unexpected directions are normal near the mouth of the canal, and wakes from power boats only add to the excitement. I was out in Buzzards Bay on Sunday, when there was hardly enough wind to sail, but ideal conditions for power boating, and there was no escaping their annoying wakes - and rude behavior. I'm not a snob (I do admire some power boats), but it strikes me that power boating is mainly about power and domination and machismo. Trying to think - when was the last time I saw a woman at the helm of a power yacht (ever?), versus a sailing yacht ...
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Steve Darwin wrote:Trying to think - when was the last time I saw a woman at the helm of a power yacht (ever?), versus a sailing yacht ...
It's the power boater rule about having to take off your shirt if you're driving the boat.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
bamabratsche

Post by bamabratsche »

I've had water come over the stern once, but that was out in the middle of the Chesapeake with strong south winds, meaning the waves had a long way to build up and were pretty steep (and close together). I was on a very broad reach and just happened to catch one the wrong way or something--not much water made it all the way into the cockpit, but it was still surprising. Usually it comes over the bow.... I have a 3.5hp Nissan 2-stroke that only weighs something like 20 pounds, so not much weight in the stern. I do have the self-bailing cockpit, though, so it was not a big deal.

And yes, the whole powerboat wake thing is extremely annoying, to say the least. I just don't go out on busy weekends (i.e. Memorial Day, July 4th, etc.) anymore. Not worth the hassle. Even if you're just anchored out there are enough jet skis to keep you from ever really relaxing.
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

Definitely one of the benefits of being retired is to be able to go sailing when: A) there is wind, B) during the work-week, and C) when there are fewer powerboats criss-crossing and screaming their way, yes, shirtless, beer in hand, from one end of the lake to another.
Skeep
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
bamabratsche

Post by bamabratsche »

Skeep--can't wait until I can do the same. Only 25-30 more years!!
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

Yikes, that's a long time! My last 40 years went by lickity split however! Keep on at it man, you'll make it! By then your Ty will be like an octogenarian!
Skeep
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Skeep wrote: By then your Ty will be like an octogenarian!
Our boats will outlast the best of us.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

I honestly think you're right!
Skeep
pjust

Post by pjust »

I concur with Steve. I'm new to sailing and have been developing a deep contempt of the owners of humongous cabin cruisers who bomb down the channel at 30 kts with no consideration of the havoc wreaked by their wakes. A friend suggested a use for the emergency flare gun I hadn't thought of before.
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Be aware that all vessels are responsible for their wake. If you suffer damage and/or injury due to the wake of another vessel it be hooves you to obtain the name or registration number, note the precise location and time, then notify the Coast Guard or local authorities (even if all you have is a vague description, the harbor master or other authorities may well know the perpetrator)
I'm not litigious by nature and have never filed a claim myself but each situation is unique. I have witnessed a few extremely irresponsible actions over the years.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Hutch_north

Post by Hutch_north »

jhumphrys wrote:Hi,

Do others find the stern low and prone to water coming in from wakes and a following sea. I do a lot of power boating
and this is my first sailboat in the ocean. So, I'm a little green at this.
john
Hi, I have never had that happen, but I typically sail on Lake Champlain and we usually don't get much more than 2' - 3' waves and usually less than that.

When you are at anchor, is the transom in or very close to the water? I ask because when my Typhoon is, there's probably 8" to a foot between the bottom of the transom and the surface of the water.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

This should be a question for Oswego John but he hasn't posted since June. Anyone heard from him?