2013 Puffin 8' Rowing Dinghy in San Diego area

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
SwiftRanger

2013 Puffin 8' Rowing Dinghy in San Diego area

Post by SwiftRanger »

Hey all,

We are selling our Puffin dinghy. She's treated us well, but we have little use for her in San Diego.
She's just barely fits in between the traveler and the mast atop a CD30, light enough to maneuver around (70lbs) on deck. Built in flotation. Actual size is 7'8".
In great condition, let me know if you'd like to stop by and check her out!

Thanks
Patrick
CD 30
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: 2013 Puffin 8' Rowing Dinghy in San Diego area

Post by tjr818 »

How much are you asking for her?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
SwiftRanger

Post by SwiftRanger »

With shipping and tax, we paid $1400.00 for her.

I'm looking to get somewhere around $600.00..
CD 30
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

SwiftRanger wrote:We are selling our Puffin dinghy. She's treated us well, but we have little use for her in San Diego.
Patrick: could you explain why you do not use your Puffin in the San Diego area.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Patrick,
$600 - I'd buy her in a minute if I was anywhere near San Diego. We are in St. Louis, MO. I suppose shipping would be too expensive?

I have only heard good things about the Puffins.

Tim
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
SwiftRanger

Post by SwiftRanger »

Wow, that was quick. SOLD

In response to why we were selling it, 2 reasons:
1) Our boat is in San Diego where there aren't many places to go. The Puffin has ended up on the dock permanently.
2) It barely fits atop our CD30. Certainly would require some good chocks for any serious trip. We are planning a bigger trip in the near future and are considering a porta-bote or something similar.

AMAZING dinghy though. We've own a few hard dinghies and this was by far the best in every regard. If we had a CD33 or larger, we'd keep it forever.

Best,
Patrick
CD 30
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Patrick:

Congratulations on the quick sale. This is a great board.

Since she is sold I hope you won't mind me asking a question about stability on your "for sale" thread.

What can you share about the Puffin's stability - particularly getting onto her from a Cape Dory and climbing back up onto a Cape Dory from the Puffin. I am sad to say I am old, fat, out of shape and want a launch/dinghy that will be stable for "an old guy".

Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

Hi, Robert. I thought I would chime in since I have some experience in this regard. I have a 8'6" Puffin. I am 5'7", 150# and 63yrs old. I generally use a 6' inflatable with a slat board floor, but I do use the puffin frequently. In terms of stability, the inflatable is generally easier to step into from the boat, however, I have not yet had an accident moving from my ladderless 25D into the Puffin. Usually I climb over the transom rail near the corner, step onto the seat, making sure the dinghy is quiet and in position, tied off at the bow to the coaming cleat. With one foot on the seat and still holding the transom rail, I lower other foot to the bottom of the Puffin in the midline. From there it is no problem to get seated and stable. The Puffin is easy to tow and way easier to row than the inflatable, but the inflatable handles my 2.5hp 4 stroke Yamaha better. While cruising I prefer to take the Puffin, unless the Admiral is aboard. The inflatable is the preferred mode from dock float to mooring. As I age I assume I will eventually get a transom ladder installed and/or resort to using the inflatable exclusively. But for now I manage well with either dinghy.
Hope that is useful.

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
SwiftRanger

Post by SwiftRanger »

I agree with David, it's a little more tender than an inflatable, but nothing for concern. We previously had an 8' Dinghy from a company out of Tampa (forgot the name) that was similar in design, but 25lbs heavier and much less stable.

The Puffin is definitely the best dinghy we've ever owned. The benefits of being a good rower, light (for a hard dinghy... still heavy though), beautiful, unsinkable, and well made outweigh the difficulty you may have boarding it.
CD 30