Stepping masts - Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Adrift54

Stepping masts - Typhoon

Post by Adrift54 »

Does anyone have a simple way to step a Typhoon mast, single-handed using only manual lift and push? Was trying to avoid building a triangular structure to support the process.....
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Stepping masts - Typhoon

Post by tjr818 »

Other than Dianetics the only other way I know is a few very tall strong friends and lots of Guinness. Perhaps a nearby tree? :wink:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
ronkberg

Post by ronkberg »

The Ty mast is very easy to step with two people. All the stays accept the fore stay are attached. One person walks the mast aft until it is close to the step while the other positions the mast into the step. Now the person on the step can go forward and start to pull on the jib halyard. The aft person walks the mast forward to vertical and hold her erect while the other connects the fore stay.

A little easier method is to use a gin pole which can make this a one man job. Look at the youtube videos to see how the gin pole is made and used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r33VCObN ... 1w&lf=plcp

Be slow and cautious and this is one of the easier tasks.

Ron
Last edited by ronkberg on May 3rd, '14, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

I've done it myself, not easy but doable if you have some upper body strength. with the mast on the boat top facing aft get all the stays except the forestay hooked up. Hook a 6 foot or so section of rope from the bow plate to the jib halyard. Have a ladder about 6 feet in back of the boat higher than the cabintop, slowly move the mast back so you can get the foot into the mast base (a friend on the ladder helps alot) and resting on the ladder. From the cockpit, lift the mast up to your shoulder while pulling on the jib halyard. Use the jib halyard in one hand to help hold the mast as you slowly walk it up, making sure the stays aren't getting caught on anything. Once the mast is up, tie off the jib halyard and walk up front to hook up the forestay.
Adrift54

Post by Adrift54 »

Thank you all....tomorrow she goes up. Will let you know.
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

If you plan on doing this with any regularity replace your manual trailer winch with an electric winch with remote control. When ready to raise the mast slide it back and set the foot in the step, set all the rigging except the fore stay, connect the winch cable to the fore stay. Make sure there are no kinks in the stays (hard lesson). Step into the cockpit, raise the mast on to your shoulder then push the up button on your electric winch. I installed an extra roller on the top of the trailer bow post as a guide. To gain a better angle of attack one could install an extension post inside the trailer bow post but I did not find that necessary. Winches are available at most marine stores, Harbor Freight and Northern Tool.
Have A Nice Day
Calclements

Post by Calclements »

Thanks, everyone, for your tips on raising the mast. I read through each post carefully and then applied it to my Typhoon. This was the first time ever for me setting up the boat... and I decided to do it single-handed using the ladder spaced 6' back as Mark suggested. What was the outcome? Great. It worked fine. :) The one trouble I had was the roller furling. It makes the weight lop-sided and can get wedged along the way. I'm actually thinking of replacing that system with a regular forestay and jib.
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

When I was a young man I jerked and yanked on masts and played super-hero. Now, an older man, I seem to fear the mast toppling over the stern and yanking the chain plates to no end. Yet, in the end, setting her up and bringing her down, is a rather simple process, to be done slowly and paying attention to lines and toggles in the procedure. After it is done I ask myself why I fretted so much?
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
wsfanning
Location: S/V "Muse" '78 Typhoon #1524, Sandusky Sailing Club, Sandusky, OH

Post by wsfanning »

Great info here. Since tomorrow is the first time we'll have her rig up I'll let you know how it goes.
craigscott24

Post by craigscott24 »

No follow-up on how it went. Anything to report?
wsfanning
Location: S/V "Muse" '78 Typhoon #1524, Sandusky Sailing Club, Sandusky, OH

Post by wsfanning »

Ours went up as easily as expected. Yes, the ladder 6' to stern aids the person in the cockpit and the roller furling adds weight and is a bit cumbersome. But taken slowly it's still an easy two person task. Thanks for the advice All! We only found a two missing pins, a bent hook, the jib halyard that needed replaced, and a block and cunningham hook needed for main reefing. We're going to set it up again this week and then in she goes.
~excited~
Adrift54

Post by Adrift54 »

I meant to reply sooner. I stepped it very easily myself. I secured a ladder (raised to about 12 feet) to the stern, stood in the cockpit and raised the rear of the mast and laid it on the top rung, while the foot was secured with the pins in place. With shrouds and backstay attached, I just pushed up and forward. Not heavy. Everything fell into place.

Prior to stepping, I looped (a big loop) a line around the spreaders, passing the other end thru the mooring cleat. When the mast was up, I tightened that in order to secure the forestry. Done. Took all of ten minutes.
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

There ya go....just fear alone gets in the way! I knew you could step it yourself!

There is always some trepidation but as you put the essential supports in the process it's rather easy. And, a good upper body exercise to boot!
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Adrift54

Post by Adrift54 »

You read my mind, Skeep.
Hutch_north

Post by Hutch_north »

Markst95 wrote:I've done it myself, not easy but doable if you have some upper body strength. with the mast on the boat top facing aft get all the stays except the forestay hooked up. Hook a 6 foot or so section of rope from the bow plate to the jib halyard. Have a ladder about 6 feet in back of the boat higher than the cabintop, slowly move the mast back so you can get the foot into the mast base (a friend on the ladder helps alot) and resting on the ladder. From the cockpit, lift the mast up to your shoulder while pulling on the jib halyard. Use the jib halyard in one hand to help hold the mast as you slowly walk it up, making sure the stays aren't getting caught on anything. Once the mast is up, tie off the jib halyard and walk up front to hook up the forestay.
This is what I have done, and it's definitely doable. I didn't have a ladder, so the tricky part was stepping up onto the cabin top during the process. I lifted the mast as high as I could, snubbed it in that position with the jib halyard, stepped up and finished the job. Maybe 10 minutes from start to finish. A ladder or a boom crutch could definitely make it easier.

Good luck!