Typhoon Tiller Trouble

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

pjust

Typhoon Tiller Trouble

Post by pjust »

Over the past week or two of sailing the tiller on my Typhoon seems to have developed a bit more "play" than I would like. I'd be grateful for advice on how best to tighten it up.
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
Calhoun Dory

Re: Typhoon Tiller Trouble

Post by Calhoun Dory »

I'm have the same situation on my Typhoon - so that makes 2 of us looking for advice on how to reduce the play in the tiller.

Rob Good
CD TY#1897
Joe M
Location: 1984 CD Typhoon "Itilldoo" & CD10 No.315 Cape May, NJ

Post by Joe M »

Hi guys

First you need to determine if the play is the rudder to the post or the tiller head to the post. If the rudder is moving on the post you'll need to do a major rudder rebuild. Breakdown of the rudder core and attachment to the post happens. Some on this board have tried placing metal straps around the rudder and post to tighten it up...not sure how that will work if the core is really soft.

Most times the "play" is in the tiller head. The head is held tight to the post with a key which slides in a groove or channel in post and a matching groove in the tiller head. The key is held tight with a set screw. The two bolts on the back of the head snug up the entire works. Without the key you'll always have play no matter how tight you torque the bolts. Also without the key tightening the set screw just buggers up the groove and post.

So I'd remove the tiller head and make sure that key is in place. Some silicone spray soaking should allow the entire assembly to slide apart. Hint, put some duct tape over your cockpit scuppers to prevent small parts going down the drain, especially that key.

If the key is missing, hopefully the groove hasn't been too mangled. A good marine hardware store or machine shop should be able to get you a replacement key.

To check for play in the rudder somebody needs to take a dip and hold the rudder while the tiller is moved. It will be evident if the post is moving in the rudder.

Hope this helps

Joe
pjust

Post by pjust »

Many thanks, Joe. In my case it seems that I just needed to tighten up the bolt at the base of the tiller, which had gotten quite loose. The tiller is nice and responsive again. I hope that's all it is for you, too, Rob.
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

The bolt at the base of our tiller loosens up periodically and takes the tiniest of turns to tight it up. It's amazing how much slop/play there can be from the slightest loosening of that bolt.
Sally
Joe M
Location: 1984 CD Typhoon "Itilldoo" & CD10 No.315 Cape May, NJ

Post by Joe M »

A drop of "Loctite" will solve that problem. The remains of Hurricane Arthur are passing thru Cape May now...heading over to the boat later today for some "reefed" sailing.

joe
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

I'd thought of that but wondered about a future problem if it needed to be removed. (You can tell I know very little about such matters.)
Sally
swhfire21

Post by swhfire21 »

There are two types of Loctite. The first can be disassembled with tools and other requires heat to disassemble (I believe these are blue and red respectively, check the labels). The one requiring tools for disassembly works for 99% of applications and should cause no worry for future work.

Take care,
Steve
Pleasant Journey, Morgan 35
Previously:
'85 CD 26, Hull No. 30
'74 Typhoon Hull No. 789
Great Bay/Little Egg Harbor, NJ
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

Thank you for that, Steve. It's wonderful to know.
Sally