trolling motor for a typhoon?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Calhoun Dory

Re: trolling motor for a typhoon?

Post by Calhoun Dory »

The lakes are Calhoun, Harriet and Nokomis in Minneapolis,
each with a fleet of over 100 sailboats.

The lakes are not large, but ideal for sailing
boats under 22ft. There are 3 Ty's on my lake,
at least 3 more on lake Harriet.

It's a pain to not have the gas powered option,
but the benefit is it's a lake full of only sailboats.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Calhoun
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

Sally Perreten wrote:I have no idea. Maybe power and ease of setup and use? I needed a motor I could cope with in order to get home when the wind dies. Several people suggested this and I just don't know enough to research the whole issue. I don't see me carrying a heavy battery, figuring out where to put it, connecting up all the wires, figuring out solar charging, etc. I can sail, but I can't deal with motors. Being a 77 year old grandmother is my limiting factor.
Sally
Good points. I am learning over time that "off the shelf" has value. Sometimes piecing together a solution can be fraught with quirks that need to be worked out.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

Calhoun Dory wrote:...I'm open to suggestions on the $350 option if you can walk me through the specific battery, wire routing, trolling motor, recharge method (solar) that works for a Typhoon....
I went with a trolling motor that has a 36" shaft (rather than 30") from Wally Mart. http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Minn-Kota- ... ype=search for $159 and a Deep Cell battery from Advance Auto. I went with the AutoCraft Marine / RV 12-Volt Deep Cycle Battery, Group size 29HM, 675 CCA http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/auto ... deep+cycle for $125 (on-line orders get good discounts).

The battery went in the cabin below the cockpit floor, with appropriately sized wires run to the motor thru the cockpit locker. I also put an in line fuse on the positive wire at the battery end. I forget the size but it was rated per whatever the motor required. I got this either on eBay or at WM. One could also use plugs and sockets made for trolling motors if a more polished installation was in mind. To keep it charged, I would hook up a standard battery charger to it from time to time or leave it on trickle when I had power at the dock.

While I did not go with a solar charger, I was tempted a few times and would have to try a cheap kit from Harbor Freight.

The battery and motor worked great. Nice and quite. It pushed her along nicely from my dock to the larger water. It would not plane :) by any means nor fight a strong headwind, but I didn't need it in that scenario.

Again, I have not tried this but the 45 W solar system at HF is often on sale for about $130... http://m.harborfreight.com/45-watt-sola ... -8527.html. Sure seems like it would be worth a try at that price.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I too had a 4hp outboard on my Typhoon = heavy and noisy. So I researched and bought the Minn Kota 45 lb thrust trolling motor - the shaft is long enough for the Ty and can be adjusted for any other boat or dinghy. I use it when there is no wind and it gets me back OK. The deep Cycle battery from CostCo cost about $100, a small solar panel about $25 and the motor with a charger cost $150. I never run out of battery power after starting with a full charge (3 years ago - look for sales). Top speed is about 2 or 2.5 knots but I usually run it slower to save battery power and go about 1 to 2 knots. It is quiet, can easily store below on a bunk and is very light - the motor mount is about the same weight. I wouldn't do anything else. I use it to get back when the wind dies (usually a mile or so) and to go from launching ramp to dock (about 3/4 mile) in spring and back in the fall. I can even put it on the CD10 or row boat for fishing when I want to. It sure beats paddling back when the outboard gas motor would not start!!!
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

That sounds like an excellent solution, Dick. Our currents often run at 2 knots, so that is something to consider in such areas. Sometimes, like weekend afternoons, we also have to factor in wakes from powerboats. It's often a task to make any headway.
Sally
Calclements

Post by Calclements »

I've been experimenting with a 40# trolling motor. I measured the speed in light chop the other day. At top speed it could push the typhoon at 3.5 mph. It feels slower but I'm measured with my gps. I think a 55# or 62# motor would be perfect, if not going against too strong of a current.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Calclements wrote:... if not going against too strong of a current.
The best any motor can do is move the boat, at hull speed, with enough power to overcome the forces trying to prevent that. Wind matters, as do waves. If your hull speed is, say, 5 knots, that's all you can do through the water... With a 2 knot current you do 7; against the same current you do 3, but your speed through the water is still 5 knots. If your motor can do that for you against a good headwind, it's big enough.

Same is true with sails... when you're over powered, you and the boat work harder, but you don't go any faster. The extra effort just goes into burying the lee rail and creating more weather helm.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Calclements wrote:... if not going against too strong of a current.

Same is true with sails... when you're over powered, you and the boat work harder, but you don't go any faster. The extra effort just goes into burying the lee rail and creating more weather helm.
Reef early....reef often :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Jim,

My feeling is, in boisterous conditions, you go hull speed either reefed or not, but that reefed you have better control over the boat, i.e., you are more likely to travel in a straight line if you're not fighting the tiller.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
rjnale
Location: 1982 CD Typhoon Daysailer "Typhoon Mary" Hull #97 model K Syracuse NY

Post by rjnale »

I pulled the string and went the electric trolling motor route after reading many comments and thoughts on this for my Typhoon Weekender.
Just got home from the maiden voyage and I'm sold. I did a Minn Kota Endura C2 50 lb thrust 42 inch shaft since it was in stock at my Wally Mart for $199, Wally Mart Deep cycle Max battery w/ 2 yr warranty and good ratings online for $90, Minn Kota battery box w/ built in circuit breaker, battery meter and 2 extra power ports for GPS, charging cell phone or what have you at $39 on sale local and battery charger $18. So under $350 for an outboard that my wife can put on the bracket and start!
I sail on a good size inland lake. no tides or currents to deal with. Today the boat had 2 adults, 2 kids, cooler and food for the afternoon, so loaded. The motor has 5 speeds forward and 5 reverse. In the marina speed 1-2 was fine maneuvering around the slips. I found increasing the speed at first to get momentum then kick it down was best. Once out in open water w/ 8-10 knot breeze speed 4 really moved us along. The motor kicked up horizontal and the steering head turned sideways and laid on the aft deck completely out of the way while sailing. The steering locks or tightens with a thumb screw. Being able to steer with the motor is good for tight spots in the marina and the tiller telescopes in and out also nice.
In the evening the kids wanted sit up on the foredeck and eat so we dropped sail and motored around for about an hour or so on speed 4 - 5 before calling it a day. I checked the battery level with the meter and still had 3/4 charge after 2 hours of use.
I like this new quiet, no smell, kick up out of the way no dragging in the water and store in in the cabin when done motor!
Okay the bad. The battery is heavy and the box big. The motor only has 3 feet or so of cable. So the battery sat on the port seat all the way aft. I have to think through some ideas of location and fabricating longer cables. Where have others mounted a battery in a Typhoon Weekender?
Does anyone have experience or recommendations on a small solar charger that might mount on the hatch? I'd like to hear about that as an option.
Happy July 4th all!
RLW

Post by RLW »

Thanks for that review! Sounds like a nearly perfect solution for your needs, and once battery location and charging are resolved, ideal. Not much to offer, but...I've seen some good looking solar charger/controller packages on Amazon, and the reviews may be very helpful whether you buy there or not. Re battery placement; I looked at a Naugus Typhoon that had a battery under the aft deck. A hatch had been cut for access (yikes) and it seems weight so far aft would be an issue, albeit a short cable run for your purposes. I plan to put a battery in a box next to the compression post, but mine will be small as I will use it for minimal lighting and electronic devices. I'm looking forward to others' suggestions.
Rich W.
s/v CARAL (a tribute to Carl Alberg)
CD Typhoon #995 (useable project boat) (sold)
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I also had issues with an older gas motor and decided to buy a MinnKota 45 lb thrust trolling motor. It has a long shaft and fits the Typhoon perfectly. It is light, versatile and pushes the boat at reasonable speed (2-3 knots) in flat water. I only use it when there is no wind and it remains below most of the time. I use a small solar panel to keep the deep cycle battery topped off and it has worked fine for me. Total investment was $150 for the motor at Dick's in a kit that included a charger and $80 for the battery. Solar panel cost $25 at Defenders 10 years ago. The best part of the motor is that it is light, easy to install and remove and is quiet. I wouldn't depend on it for a 5 mile trip but for spring launching/fall trip to the marina (1/2 mile) and security when the wind dies it has been ideal. No gasoline on board, no motor hanging off the transom to destroy the beauty of the Typhoon and if I want to go fishing - it is easily moved to a rowboat.
mashenden

Post by mashenden »

rjnale wrote:... Where have others mounted a battery in a Typhoon Weekender?
Does anyone have experience or recommendations on a small solar charger that might mount on the hatch? I'd like to hear about that as an option.
Happy July 4th all!
When I did the trolling motor option on one of my Typhoons, I ended up putting the deep cycle battery in the cabin in the area below the companionway opening, tucked slightly aft, which put it below the cockpit floor. Put another way, between the two cockpit drain hoses. That put it low and centered.

Then I ran the wire up to the port cockpit locker hatch where I could connect it to the motor using a plug. It left about 3' of wire exposed when in use. I would store the pigtail with the plug in the cockpit locker when not in use. I suggest using a plug that is suitable for the amperage - the safe bet is a plug sold by the trolling motor manufacturer but it could also be done cheaper using a non OEM plug that is sized properly. Mine was a slightly undersized plug and it would get a bit warm after using it, but never to the point of melting so I did not replace it. Main points being that the heat was wasted energy and potentially a point of failure at some point.
Matt Ashenden

Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

great idea for the location of the connection! I have been stressing out about drilling another hole for the plug - I will do just what you did only make a box to hold all the fittings!