Typhoon Fueling

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

PC
Location: 1979 Cape Dory Typhoon WeekenderNightingale, Buffalo NY

Typhoon Fueling

Post by PC »

I have a Typhoon with a Honda 2hp that I keep in a slip at a marina that does not allow portable gas cans on the docks. If you need fuel you are required to go to the gas dock. The Honda only has a 1/4 gallon internal gas tank. I find myself fueling out on the water to avoid doing it at the dock. Does anyone else deal with this type of situation? Does anyone go to the gas dock to fill a 2 hp outboard?
Shelby
Location: CD Typhoon/open daysailer...."Liberty".......OKC,OK

Re: Typhoon Fueling

Post by Shelby »

I used to keep a boat in a marina that had the same.."no gas cans on dock" rule. Not wanting to violate the rules, for my honda 2hp, I just carried in my sailing bag, one of those fuel cannisters used for camping stoves. Are available in several sizes, are leakproof, and what little gas the honda burned, were all I needed.
just look at camping supplies for "MSR" fuel bottles......even amazon carries them
pjust

Post by pjust »

I have an identical set up on my Ty, but little experience with the Honda (or anything else, for that matter). How far will a tank of gas take you, assuming slack tide and no wind?
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
agogates

Post by agogates »

I didn't have the dock fueling issue but wanted to have additional fuel, just in case, for my Honda 2hp. I also bought a camping fuel canister but for safety didn't want to leave in down below so I secured it the cockpit. The engine tank holds about a 1/4 gal which the manual says should run for one hour at full throttle.
PC
Location: 1979 Cape Dory Typhoon WeekenderNightingale, Buffalo NY

Post by PC »

I can probably get an hour out of a tank of gas. But then I have to refuel! I refueled out on the water today because I can't do it at the dock. I carry a small 3 gallon tank. I'll look into the MSR bottles.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

A little off the subject but I love the no-spill fuel containers, the one gal works great for filling small outboards.

http://www.nospill.com/Products.html