trolling motor for a typhoon?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sally Perreten

trolling motor for a typhoon?

Post by Sally Perreten »

We have a TY weekender. We've only ever used our outboard when there is so little wind we can't get home. But the trusty, old motor is getting too hard for me to start and I'm thinking of replacing it with an electric trolling motor. What information and advice can any of you good folks give me?
Sally
casampson

Re: trolling motor for a typhoon?

Post by casampson »

Take a look at the four-stroke 2 HP Honda. A lot of Typhoon owners have said it's the perfect motor for the boat. It's small and light, so you can stow it below when you're not using it. We don't use a motor ourselves, and I know we'll regret it one day, but that would be my choice for those days when the wind dies on you.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Hello Sally:

In the January 2011 issue of Practical Sailor, the Torqeedo T-801 (2 hp) is compared with two other electric motors, including the Troqeedo T-1003 (3 hp).

Several years ago I offered to make and send copies of a sailing magazine article that was of interest to several CDSOA discussion board readers. A few CDSOA readers chastised me for doing so claiming copyright violations. Sooooooooo, having been properly reprimanded and having learned my lesson I can only recommend that you order an individual copy of the January 2011 issue from Practical Sailor at:

http://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/ ... 999-1.html

My Guinness soaked brain does seem to recall that I am permitted to quote small snippets from the article without running afoul of copyright law. With that belief I quote the following from the January 2011 issue of Practical Sailor:

"In our testing, the T-801 [2 hp] pushed our 19-foot Cape Dory [Typhoon] at a top speed of 4.2 knots . . . This full-out speed test on heavy displacement boats eats up the battery charge in 15 minutes."

Overall, Practical Sailor seemed to prefer the Torqeedo T1003 (3 hp) with the same weight and less than $100 more than the 2 hp and lasted longer.

Good luck :!: :!: :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

That is really helpful. Thank you so much!
Sally
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

My Capri 22 is on season #4 using a Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 tiller model. It performs the same as the Nissan 5 hp gas engine that came with the boat, but it is much quieter. My wife and I enjoy talking with - and hearing - each other even with the the motor at full speed.

The boat has been on a mooring for three seasons using 100 watt solar panel to keep the batteries charged. This year I replaced the single rigid panel on the transom with three flexible panels that are flush on the foredeck. The panels can take moderate foot traffic so the foredeck is a good choice.

The first season we used shore power to charge the batteries (215 amp-hour @ 24 volts). The solar panels keep charging even while sailing during the day. We have never run out of battery power.
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

This is really interesting. I'm happy to learn of others' experiences with the product. I'm glad you like yours.
Sally
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

I used a standard trolling motor and a deep cycle battery to power my first Ty. It remains my favorite choice. The only reason I went with a gas motor for a while was I needed more range. The noise, smell, and maintenance do make gas far less desirable. The trolling motor was fine when coming in/out of the creek and it held its own against a 10-15 knot headwind. Also no worries when the prop comes out of the water when messing about on the foredeck.

On a parallel note, my next door neighbor has a sailing boat that is similar to a Ty - his has an inboard electric motor similar (same?) to the ones used by Elco. He loves it. I think it would be an option on Ty's but would be a pretty serious mod.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

mashenden wrote: On a parallel note, my next door neighbor has a sailing boat that is similar to a Ty - his has an inboard electric motor similar (same?) to the ones used by Elco. He loves it. I think it would be an option on Ty's but would be a pretty serious mod.
An electric inboard on a keel boat is nice. I have experimented with the Torqeedo on my Capri 22 using 110 watts of solar panels to recharge all the batteries while on a mooring.

Now I am about ready to put an electric inboard motor into my CD25. It will leave the outboard motor mount unaffected but I need to cut the keel back to place the propeller in front of the rudder. The 2 bladed propeller will basically hide behind the keel. The electric motor will mount where the cooler is. The batteries will go port and starboard where the single battery mounts now. I am about ready to make the cuts into the fiberglass for the rudder - just a few more mock-ups to do.
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

jepomer wrote:...Now I am about ready to put an electric inboard motor into my CD25. It will leave the outboard motor mount unaffected but I need to cut the keel back to place the propeller in front of the rudder. The 2 bladed propeller will basically hide behind the keel. The electric motor will mount where the cooler is. The batteries will go port and starboard where the single battery mounts now. I am about ready to make the cuts into the fiberglass for the rudder - just a few more mock-ups to do.
Very interesting. Please take and post pictures.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Calhoun Dory

Post by Calhoun Dory »

I need to purchase and electric outboard for my Ty.
My lake does not allow gas outboards.

The Torqueedo Travel looks like and interesting option.
Can anyone confirm success/ issues with the Torqueedo on their Ty?

I have the original outboard motor bracket.
I'm not sure about the correct shaft length as Torqueedo's short shaft is 23.2" while the long shaft is 28."

It seems like the short shaft would be sufficient. Logic might say "go with the long shaft" but I'm concerned that may be too long to keep out of the water while underway.

Any thoughts/ experiences would be greatly appreciated.

ROB
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

We have just bought the Torqeedo 1003L and have used it twice. We are impressed - everything about it is easy and sensible. We got the long shaft because another Ty sailor in the harbor had gotten the short shaft and had to exchange it for the long shaft. It is light, easy to manage, quiet. It is in 3 sections and we leave the motor part on the bracket, tilted up, leave the tiller part in the cabin and take the battery home for charging. I would feel uncomfortable leaving the battery (lithium) in a closed up cabin in the hot summer sun.

Hamilton Marine in Portland, Maine had the best price, which our local West Marine was willing to match.
Sally
mashenden

Post by mashenden »

Not meaning to be argumentative - just trying to understand the value. These Torqeedo 1003L units cost almost as much as a decent Typhoon - about $2k. Ouch!!

What advantages does it have over a Deep Cycle battery with a solar charger and a standard fishing trolling motor? This set up could be bought for about $350.
Matt Ashenden

Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

I have no idea. Maybe power and ease of setup and use? I needed a motor I could cope with in order to get home when the wind dies. Several people suggested this and I just don't know enough to research the whole issue. I don't see me carrying a heavy battery, figuring out where to put it, connecting up all the wires, figuring out solar charging, etc. I can sail, but I can't deal with motors. Being a 77 year old grandmother is my limiting factor.
Sally
Calhoun Dory

Post by Calhoun Dory »

Thanks for the confirmation on the long shaft vs. the short.

I agree its an expensive option that I would like to avoid.

My factors are the same. Weight, recharge convenience, additional thrust output.

I'm open to suggestions on the $350 option if you can walk me through the specific battery, wire routing, trolling motor, recharge method (solar) that works for a Typhoon.

Thanks to all for their assistance.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Calhoun Dory wrote:I need to purchase and electric outboard for my Ty.
My lake does not allow gas outboards.
Rob:

Can you share with us the lake that does not allow gas outboards :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil