OB motor for TY questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sally Perreten

OB motor for TY questions

Post by Sally Perreten »

Is any Ty owner using a Torqeedo 2 hp outboard? Is that enough power? We only ever use power when there is no wind and we need to get back home, and in the past 5 years have probably used our outboard a total of 3 hours. However, if we'd been able to start it, we'd have put a bit more time on it. :(

Sally Perreten
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Re: OB motor for TY questions

Post by Markst95 »

Sally how far do you sail? I assume your in Stonington Harbor? Do you go to Block or around Fishers Island? I wouldn't want to be on the Race side of Fishers Fighting a current and wondering if the battery would die. I have the Honda 2hp and have never had a problem where I didn't have enough power.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Sally:

A friend at the local sailing club has a Ty Weekender. I believe he has a 2 hp Honda air cooled. It is simple and lightweight. I do not know about reliability.

When I had my Ty I had a 6 hp Suzuki. VERY heavy. Too much power, at least for Biscayne Bay. Not sure what your needs are in your sailing area. The Honda 2 hp may be a little "wimpy" depending on conditions.

Good luck :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

I was wondering if any one has gone propane. http://www.westmarine.com/propane-outboards
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

Yes, we are in Stonington. We don't go around Fishers or to Block....just stay in Fishers Island Sound. (I can think of lotsa things I'd rather do than sail a Typhoon through the Race.) Several people have suggested the Honda 2 hp. I'm also looking at electric - though the price makes me gulp.

Chris, the word at the boatyard is that propane is, so far, unreliable and has some problems, but that it shows promise. Evidently you have to remove the gas canister when you are not using it or the gas runs out, dissipates.

Sally
Shelby
Location: CD Typhoon/open daysailer...."Liberty".......OKC,OK

Post by Shelby »

We have a Honda 2hp for our Ty....I can attest that is has been extremely reliable...plenty of power for its size...and the light wieght does not effect the balance of the boat....just be sure and get the longer shaft model...
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

Lots of good information here and I thank you all. I'm sure other people will find this helpful.
Sally