Two tots, a sailboat, and a storm

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

David Morton

Re: Two tots, a sailboat, and a storm

Post by David Morton »

I'm not sure that some of the blame should not fall to the family physician who signed off on the trip for the infant. Salmonella enteritis is often a self-limited disease in adults, but infants are partially immunocompromised hosts and relapses are not uncommon. I don't know the details of the treatment that the child received prior to traveling, but as a physician and a father, I would have made sure the baby was culture negative, not just asymptomatic, for several weeks post antibiotic therapy and prior to launch.
Even so, often bad things happen in unpredictable ways in life. If we try to bubble wrap ourselves and our children, we would isolate ourselves from experience that make life worth living. I knew a couple who refused to allow their son to learn to ride a bicycle for fear of his safety. Is that child better off for that?

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Big E
Salem, MA

Post by Big E »

Maybe this is a bit off track...Does anyone know the make/ model of the boat in question?
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Hans Christian 38
They have been cruising on Rebel Heart for a few years prior to this event
Pete
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

Here is a really interesting interview with the rescuers:

http://www.dvidshub.net/video/328690/gu ... 0gW7PldV8F

Apparently 4 of them dropped in and stayed aboard the boat with the couple while they were waiting for the Navy to arrive. The rescuers seemed to think that the crew was as well equipped as they could have been and just got into a bad spot.

The rescuers were also, IMO, extremely professional in light of the media's trolling to find fault with the parents. They rebuffed a lot of the media trolls pretty well, IMO.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Wow. If I ever find myself in a situation that I am unable to deal with, it is extremity comforting to know that we have such well trained, competent and professional, gentlemen ready to assist the average guy. This truly makes you proud to be an American, Steve.
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

ASR PJ's a really elite organization. Up until just recently all of the ASR PJ's were enlisted troops.

Back in the 60's I used to work with and recreational dive with a number of them.
The PJ's receive a lot of their initial training here in San Antonio. They are a very dedicated group. They spend an enormous amount of time training to recover downed fliers on both land and in the water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... Pararescue
Have A Nice Day