Dorade Vent Hoses for Cape Dory 25D

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Re: Dorade Vent Hoses for Cape Dory 25D

Post by Zeida »

Mitch, did you use all 50 ft? I need 25 ft. for my CD-33. If you want to sell some of it, I will gladly buy it from you.

zeida
Zeida
CDSOA Member
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Zeida wrote:Mitch, did you use all 50 ft? I need 25 ft. for my CD-33. If you want to sell some of it, I will gladly buy it from you.

zeida
I'll measure what is left, but I suspect it is less than 25 feet.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where it is absolutely beautiful today.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Steve Laume wrote:
tjr818 wrote:
Steve Laume wrote:...I had some dust collector hose that I use in my shop so that is what I used. It seems very similar to what Russel posted and is nice to work with... Steve.
$6.00 a foot for the Trident seems a bit out of my reach. Grainger sells similar types in 25 foot lengths for around $5.00 a foot (still too much for me :oops: ).
In my shop I have 4" and 2 1/2" dust collection hose, but no 3". Which size did you use Steve? Did you need an adapter?

http://www.blastgateco.com/Flex-Hose.php

I think the stuff I used was probably something like the T4 Econo Hose. This is not the company I dealt with and it was a long time ago that I ordered it but there are lots of great hose choices out there. This was just the first Goggle hit I had on "dust collector hose".

I ran one long hose and one very short one that terminated at about the level of the cockpit sole. The idea was that the high one would be the exhaust. It takes less hose and I belive it is more effective, Steve.
FWIW: Generally the exhaust hose is placed lower in the bilge than the input. Certainly that is the case with a gasoline engine and probably if you use propane for heating/cooking. The idea is to remove those heavy fumes from the bilge. The Coast Guard has an opinion on this subject, which is oriented towards gasoline powered vessels, but may well be their standard. http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/pdf/recalls/BSC69.pdf

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where one fewer explosion on your boat is a good thing!) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Good point Mitchell but the only gasoline on board Raven is stored at the mast. I am running diesel and CNG which is lighter than air. So at least in my case the heat and fumes are what I am trying to evacuate. There are no explosive fumes to settle into the bilge. I even have a charcoal grill and not propane, Steve.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Steve Laume wrote:Good point Mitchell but the only gasoline on board Raven is stored at the mast. I am running diesel and CNG which is lighter than air. So at least in my case the heat and fumes are what I am trying to evacuate. There are no explosive fumes to settle into the bilge. I even have a charcoal grill and not propane, Steve.
Steve,
If there is a need, you can always rotate both cowls 180 degrees.
Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (A great place to sail home to.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

M. R. Bober wrote:If there is a need, you can always rotate both cowls 180 degrees.
Mitchell Bober
Maybe this belongs in the locked vs unlocked prop thread, but here goes, which way does the air flow through the cowl vents? Running, reaching, close hauled ???
I keep one opposite the other just because it seems that at least one of them will always have positive pressure (but I'm not positive :wink: )
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

tjr818 wrote:
M. R. Bober wrote:If there is a need, you can always rotate both cowls 180 degrees.
Mitchell Bober
Maybe this belongs in the locked vs unlocked prop thread, but here goes, which way does the air flow through the cowl vents? Running, reaching, close hauled ???
I keep one opposite the other just because it seems that at least one of them will always have positive pressure (but I'm not positive :wink: )

The forward facing vent, the intake, should be connected to the "higher" hose in the bilge (unless you are Steve ;-) .)
The exhaust vent, facing aft should be connected to the "lower" hose (again unless you're Steve.)

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where I'm exhausted.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

M. R. Bober wrote:
tjr818 wrote: Maybe this belongs in the locked vs unlocked prop thread, but here goes, which way does the air flow through the cowl vents? Running, reaching, close hauled ???
The forward facing vent, the intake, should be connected to the "higher" hose in the bilge (unless you are Steve ;-) .)
The exhaust vent, facing aft should be connected to the "lower" hose (again unless you're Steve.)
Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where I'm exhausted.) VA
Well...? What if Steve and I are sailing straight downwind? Doesn't the "exhaust" hose then become the "intake" hose, and the "intake" become the "exhaust"?
This is exhausting :roll:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

It might also depend on what you are trying to exhaust.

It would depend on weather, heavier than air, explosive, vapors are your primary concern, or it is heat you are trying to eliminate. If I am sailing down wind, the engine is not running and I am not too concerned with ventilation. If I am motoring, weather it is in a no wind condition or I am motor sailing into wind right on the nose the forward facing vent is always the intake.

Who knew cowl vents could become such an exhausting and controversial thread, Steve.
Russell

Post by Russell »

I don't think I have ever in my ownership of the boat cared which direction they are facing, nor adjusted them. Once faces forward and one aft, and I couldn't tell you which is which without looking. I have no doubt everyone could take this same attitude and be none the worse for it!

My prop freewheels by the way. :wink:
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)