Dorade Vent Hoses for Cape Dory 25D

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

hilbert

Re: Dorade Vent Hoses for Cape Dory 25D

Post by hilbert »

O J,
I don't worry, but I have a spare alternator.
I find two inexpensive alternators more reliable and economical than a high output Balmar and regulator.
Rather use alternatives to keep the battery charging throughout the day.

Sorry for going off topic.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Oswego John wrote:After reading the ads for vent hose, the one biggest thing that bugs me is that it comes in 50' lengths.

But then, again, I sail a Ty. :D

To quote my hero, Alfred E Neuman "What, me worry?"

O J
Yes, it comes from the manufacturer in 50' boxes (Trident being a manufacturer, not a retail place). When you buy it retail typically you buy it cut to length, just like with hose, wire, etc.. I think I bought mine from defender, and I didn't buy 50'!
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Russell,

Yes, you are correct. I was sort of aware of what you said. That was just my poor attempt at humor.

My one redeeming factor is that I think I used a smiley.

Best regards,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

IMG_1752.JPG

FWIW… I need to replace my very old and filthy air duct vent hoses on my CD33 and plan to buy the "blue hose" as per Russel's link with Trident #481. It comes in 50ft. and I only need 25 ft. If anyone else is interested, I will soon have 25 more ft. for sale, at whatever price they quote me. Let me know. :idea:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Zeida wrote:FWIW… I need to replace my very old and filthy air duct vent hoses on my CD33
Zeida:

You are so right :!: :!: :!: Those are some of the filthiest air duct vent hoses I have ever seen on any sailboat ever. :D :D :D :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Steve Laume wrote:...I had some dust collector hose that I use in my shop so that is what I used. It seems very similar to what Russel posted and is nice to work with... Steve.
$6.00 a foot for the Trident seems a bit out of my reach. Grainger sells similar types in 25 foot lengths for around $5.00 a foot (still too much for me :oops: ).
In my shop I have 4" and 2 1/2" dust collection hose, but no 3". Which size did you use Steve? Did you need an adapter?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Russell

Post by Russell »

I forgot how expensive it was, now that you mention it though I do remember paying a fair bit for the stuff. Sorry bout that! You could still get away with normal vent hose, and replace it 4 times I guess for the same price. I still think its great stuff and give it a huge recommendation for those willing to pay. I do tend to be a spare no expense kind of guy when it comes to my boat (being that it is my only home and I have zero other expenses). I am willing to bet the white Trident hose, which is about $1.50 a foot at defender, is probably still better then the stuff CD put in, but I can't say for sure (the CD stuff though seemed rather "home depotish"). I really like that the blue stuff bounces back to shape, considering all the stuff that can potentially crush it in the lazarete. Though the idea of perhaps doing the solid PVC from the cowl vent through the lazarette then vent hose through the engine room is a nice compromise?
Russell
Russell

Post by Russell »

Zeida, your hoses look terrific compared to what I think most of us have found! When I bought my boat most of mine was cracked open and brittle and a total mess (with a fair share of duct tape doing a poor job of holding it together thanks to the previous owner), which I think is par for the course for most who have not yet replaced theirs.
Russell
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

Russell, like you I tend to get the right "stuff" for my boat, since most of the times it is just me out there in this boat, and if something goes wrong because I bought the cheap stuff, I will be in serious trouble.

SeaHunt, as soon as I get the "blue stuff" vent hoses, you may come and learn how to replace those EXTREMELY FILTHY ones. An extra pair of hands will be great to have :D :D :D
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

seaHunt… in your last few posts you have started referring to the "little CapeDory sailboat…" what's up, are you thinking to go larger? There is that gorgeous 28 Andiamo, for sale in Maine… :roll: :roll: :roll:
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Zeida wrote:seaHunt… in your last few posts you have started referring to the "little CapeDory sailboat…" what's up, are you thinking to go larger? There is that gorgeous 28 Andiamo, for sale in Maine… :roll: :roll: :roll:
S/V Bali Ha'i is more than I can handle alone. NO WAY would I consider a larger sailboat. When am I getting sailing lessons from you :?:

Sorry to have temporarily diverted this thread. My bad. :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

tjr818 wrote:
Steve Laume wrote:...I had some dust collector hose that I use in my shop so that is what I used. It seems very similar to what Russel posted and is nice to work with... Steve.
$6.00 a foot for the Trident seems a bit out of my reach. Grainger sells similar types in 25 foot lengths for around $5.00 a foot (still too much for me :oops: ).
In my shop I have 4" and 2 1/2" dust collection hose, but no 3". Which size did you use Steve? Did you need an adapter?

http://www.blastgateco.com/Flex-Hose.php

I think the stuff I used was probably something like the T4 Econo Hose. This is not the company I dealt with and it was a long time ago that I ordered it but there are lots of great hose choices out there. This was just the first Goggle hit I had on "dust collector hose".

I ran one long hose and one very short one that terminated at about the level of the cockpit sole. The idea was that the high one would be the exhaust. It takes less hose and I belive it is more effective, Steve.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

This was the best price that I found for the 3" Trident blue bilge vent host. Delivery is expected today.

http://www.boatersland.com/trc4813000.h ... OgodpxgABg

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where--like everywhere--sailors are frugal.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

When I follow you link Mitchell I get a price of $157.99. How many feet is that?

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

barfwinkle wrote:When I follow you link Mitchell I get a price of $157.99. How many feet is that?

Fair Winds
Bill,
Full box=50' Shipping was another $16.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where frugal means cheap.) VA

Update: Product arrived. Nice stuff. I installed it today. Can't believe how badly damaged the old vinyl and aluminum ducting was.
CDSOA Founding Member