Whale bilge pump on CD 25D

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Richmond

Whale bilge pump on CD 25D

Post by Richmond »

Hi all,

I recently bought a Cape Dory 25D and was hoping someone could shed some light on how to remove the diaphragm for the bilge pump. The diaphragm on mine broke and I ordered a rebuild kit, but I'm not sure how to remove the old one. From the cockpit, I see four screws holding a plate that guards the diaphragm. I turned the screws though, but nothing comes loose. When I crawl into the lazarette to look at it from behind, it just looks byzantine. Any help so I can remove the old diaphragm to replace it would be appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Rachel
Jim Walsh

Re: Whale bilge pump on CD 25D

Post by Jim Walsh »

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=yout ... LJ6cg95XE0
This video may be of help. You'll have to look for the nuts which the machine screws are attached to (on the body of the pump inside the locker) and use a box wrench to hold the nuts from turning while you remove the screws.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Rachel:

Can you give details of the Cape Dory 25D you are now taking care of :?: Year mfg., name (former), hull number, etc.

Inquiring minds want to know. :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Steve Bryant
"Elan"
Ocean Springs, MS

Post by Steve Bryant »

Hi Rachel,

I have a .pdf file of an exploded parts diagram for the older Whale Gusher 8 pump. It doesn't have any information related to the cockpit mounting, but you can tell how to replace the diaphragm and the other gaskets that come with the rebuild kit along with the part numbers for all the components.

Since I can't attach a .pdf file to this message, if you send me an email or a PM with your email address, I'll be glad to forward it to you and anyone else that might have a need for it.

Good Luck,
Steve Bryant
"Elan" 1981 CD25 #815
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hi Rachel,
I had to rebuild the Whale bilge pump on Creme Brulee several years ago. The hardest parts of the operation is removing the pump from the cockpit--and then putting it back again. As described earlier, I crawled into the locker, put a box wrench on the nut and then had to figure out how to secure the wrench while I went back into the cockpit to unscrew the machine screws.

The secret, of course, is to make this a two-person operation. I do most of my boat work solo, which can be frustrating. I was simply unable to reinstall the pump. Get a friend/companion/assistant to help you and it won't be so daunting.

Also, be sure to clean the pump when you get it out. It's bound to have accumulated lots of dirt during its long life.

Good luck,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Post by bhartley »

I second Joe's technique (and the suggestion you have a helper). Getting it out alone is a lot easier than back in. I have rebuilt 2. The people at Whale Support were very helpful. http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/support.aspx

I sent them photos to confirm the correct model and parts kit to order. It was, at least in my case, much cheaper than the new model available. It is a pretty simple job to do the actual repair.

Bly
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

The 25D set up is a bit different than the CD30. The engine panel is on the side of my cockpit and not in the back so this might not work as well for CD 25D owners.

The idea of not being able to access the bilge pump with relative ease and by myself seemed crazy to me. The solution was to cut a big hole in the boat and put in an 8" inspection port. I can now unscrew the port, then reach in there and disconnect the hoses and put a wrench on the nuts. It also allows access to the chain plate and the wind vane fasteners.

The bilge pump is an essential piece of safety gear and it just seems like you ought to be able to get to it without emptying the cockpit locker and climbing in while a second person is needed to turn the screws. I could easily pull the pump while sailing and I keep a new rebuild kit on board just in case, Steve.
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I replaced my pump 2 years ago - I think there is a discussion on this very topic in the 2012 posts. I did two things: 1) replaced the pump entirely which was easier that doing just the diaphram and 2) I also added an electric pump in the bilge (not automatic) which has a separate hose and outlet on the transom. There is a fair amount of discussion on this board about both these topics. I enjoy pumping electrically and I am glad to have two pumps on board.

Removing the instrument panel can help with access to the stbd side bolts if I recall.

Advice on electric pumps - get the biggest pump you can, and remember that a 1 inch hose produces much less of a friction loss that a 3/4'' hose and the install effort is the same.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

The procedure I used to remove the pump is to place with my right hand a 7/16" DEEP DRAW socket w/ ratchet on the nut, and with my left hand hold a screw driver fast to the screw. Ratchet the nut off is not at all difficult.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Richmond

Post by Richmond »

Hi all,

Thank you so much for all these helpful and informative replies. What I decided to do was just replace the diaphragm that had a tear in it. It took some time to figure out how to do it and then to actually replace it with the tight space in there but its done and now it works! Thanks again everyone for all your help!

Robert, the boat is a 1982 model, hull number 27. Former name was LA Vie (French for 'the life' ☺).
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Did you actually replace the pump diaphragm or the seal where the handle inserts into the pump that keeps water from entering the pump area? These are two entirely different things. If you were replacing the pump diaphragm you would have most likely bought a rebuild kit with the valves and seals included. From my experience the valves are most often the culprit, when the pump fails or declines in it's performance. If the original problem was just the weather seal then all is well. If it was actually the pump diaphragm, I would definitely replace the valves before re-installation, Steve.