CD 27 and Raymarine Autohelm

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gvanbell

CD 27 and Raymarine Autohelm

Post by gvanbell »

Hello everyone. I am about to pull the trigger on a new Raymarine tiller pilot for my CD 27 and was hoping some of you have pictures of your set up: connections to the cockpit and the tiller. Just wanting to visualize it before I make the order.

I am also curious if anyone has experience with the smaller (ST1000) versus larger Autohelm tiller pilot. The CD 27 is technically heavier than the recommended top end for the ST1000, but it seems that for motoring and sailing in moderate conditions it would suffice. Thoughts?

-g
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: CD 27 and Raymarine Autohelm

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

G:

If you search the archives posts I think you will find a discussion of the ST1000 vs. ST2000. I am barely able to post a message or I would try to find it for you.

I have the ST2000 on S/V Bali Ha'i (1982 Cape Dory 25D) purchased by the prior owner. I recall the prior owner telling me the ST1000 did not have enough "power" for the size and weight of the Cape Dory 25D. He sailed out of Toms River, NJ.

I also recall anecdotal information that someone had installed an ST1000 on a CD 25D and it would not track properly in any kind of seaway.

From my very limited experience I would think the ST2000 is a better choice for the Cape Dory 27.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

G:

I found the prior discussion thread. :)

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... 5D#p163025
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Ron Churgin

Post by Ron Churgin »

I had a 2000 on my 27. I never thought it was overpowered and often wished it was a bit stronger. I mostly sailed out of Jones Inlet on Long Island and in the ocean. I would definitely favor the 2000 over the 1000. Only reason to go with the 1000 would be if you sail in very protected waters with no currents.
Ron Churgin
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I have the ST2000 for a very long time. Works just fine. Plenty of power for a 7500 pound boat. I've got a photo of it in action somewhere. If I find it I'll post it
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Whoops :oops: :oops:

The photo didn't post. Here it is now (I hope!!!)

"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I second the comments of others. Warren's set up is the same as mine, but there are gizmos that let you cantilever an arm off the coaming so you can leave a cushion in place.

If the ST2000 is over powered - it means reduce sail until it isn't overpowered.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
gvanbell

Post by gvanbell »

Thanks everyone. I'm ordering the 2000 right away!

-g