binnacle base rotting

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

binnacle base rotting

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

Has anyone had problems with the bases to their binnacle rotting? Both my CD31 and a friends at the same marina have this problem. The cast aluminum used for the base has got to be towards the bottom of the nobility scale so I wonder if anyone has changed their base out and if there is a better option. It looks like a pressed fit to the tube so if I can get it apart I think I will see if a machine shop can make me a better one. Any suggestions?
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
JWSutcliffe

Re: binnacle base rotting

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Kevin:

The problem with a lot of the Yacht Specialties pedestals (such as used on the 31) seems to be galvanic corrosion of the aluminum base in contact with the stainless steel mounting bolts. I looked into several pedestals that were being parted out, and the bases on those were worse than mine. Given that Yacht Specialties is long gone, my plan was to replace the pedestal with an Edson when the base finally gives up.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

JWSutcliffe wrote:Kevin:

The problem with a lot of the Yacht Specialties pedestals (such as used on the 31) seems to be galvanic corrosion of the aluminum base in contact with the stainless steel mounting bolts. I looked into several pedestals that were being parted out, and the bases on those were worse than mine. Given that Yacht Specialties is long gone, my plan was to replace the pedestal with an Edson when the base finally gives up.
Only the Yacht Specialties pedestals with "Yacht Specialties" embossed into the base, like the one in the photo, were problematic. It was just poor aluminum and a poor quality casting. The earlier bases, with no embossed logo, do not tend to suffer this issue.

I have done about 6 or 7 conversions of the "embossed" YS pedestals and none of the non-embossed version. Our non-embossed YS pedestal is now 35 years old and in perfect shape... If you can find a used one snap it up otherwise time to call Edson.. The embossed YS pedestal has a different bolt hole pattern than Edson. The non-embossed version is the same hole pattern........

-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

This is how the PO of Orion addressed the issue. This spring I'll be painting it since it looks a bit unsightly, but it's probably stronger than new. It has proven to be solid as a rock for the last seven years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time