The best rum

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bottomscraper

Re: The best rum

Post by bottomscraper »

One of the best tasting sips of rum I ever had was sitting in the cockpit of Dick Kobayashi's boat in Mattapoisett about 8 or 9 years ago. I'm not sure what it was but it was mighty tasty!
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
karonoko

Post by karonoko »

By far - the very best is Mount Gay Dark. Of course, taste is personal! Mount Gay has been a staple luxury for me for decades. Mount Gay (dark) and tonic with TWO lime slices in a pint glass - nothing is better IMHO! We call it "climbing the mountain"
T. Duffus
Squid

Post by Squid »

Good to see that the longest subject thread through the winter months will be what Rum to drink to get through the winter months… Also notice a great deal of the favorite Rum's were the ones someone else provided… (good answer).

I vote for quality OPR as the best..! And if not first choice at least always first choice available.
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

It's fun to dream, but in reality, the rum you have on board is always better than the faraway ideal.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Good points Neil and Squid.

BTW, what rum was used in the delicious Dark and Stormies on the weekend of the CD general meeting in Havre De Grace, MD? One of them wasn't enough. Three of them were ... well... Woo Hoo.

:D :D :D
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Oswego John wrote:Good points Neil and Squid.

BTW, what rum was used in the delicious Dark and Stormies on the weekend of the CD general meeting in Havre De Grace, MD? One of them wasn't enough. Three of them were ... well... Woo Hoo.

:D :D :D
O J
That was the aforementioned (pictured) Goslings Black Seal!

Fair winds
Bill Member #250.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

I'm not a big fan of straight rum ... but I'm a great fan of real Dark n' Stormies, which means Gosling's Black Seal Rum and ginger beer, preferably Barritt's.

Of course I'd never be one to say no to a drink when offered ... t'would be a violation of the Sailors' Code.

Here's hoping all you northern sailors are keeping warm!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Joe Myerson wrote: ... but I'm a great fan of real Dark n' Stormies, which means Gosling's Black Seal Rum and ginger beer, preferably Barritt's.
Being one who prefers Guinness, I am not much of a Rum drinker, however with all the talk of Dark and Stormy's on this board I went out a bought a bottle of Gosling's Black Seal and a six pack of Gosling's Ginger Beer. I followed Gosling's proportions, but I found this drink far to sweet for my taste. Is Barritt's a better choice? Or should I have added a whole lot more ice? :?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

tjr818 wrote: I followed Gosling's proportions, but I found this drink far to sweet for my taste. Is Barritt's a better choice? Or should I have added a whole lot more ice? :?
No doubt it's a very sweet drink--too sweet for some tastes. Did you add lime? (When I was in Bermuda, the natives scoffed at Americans' habit of adding lime, but I think it cuts the sweetness.) Extra ice might help, too--although in Bermuda they seemed to fill the glass with rum and ice, splash in the ginger beer and that's it.

As for Barritt's vs. Gosling's brand of ginger beer, I think they're the same thing ... Gosling's bought out Barritt's, planning to market it in the US under their own brand. But cultists wanted Barritt's, so the brand seems to have reappeared on this side of the Atlantic.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I, for one, want to complement and applaud our brother sailor David Morton for starting this post and allowing it to mushroom into the interesting and "imbibing" (no pun intended :wink: ) post that it has become. It may be my personality but I prefer this esoteric yet "hands on" rum discussion to a winter's esoteric discussion of "tiller versus wheel", "locked versus spinning props", etc.

As a devotee of Guinness I have been reluctant to visit the local distillery and purchase 2-3 (perhaps 4-5 :wink: ) bottles of the different rums recommended and conduct a scientific study of their flavors, after taste, effects (psychological and physiological), etc.

This weekend, since the sailing club will be jam packed with a bunch of different international racing crews, boats, etc., I may just spend it in deep and reflective study and observation - ah, the days of the old "study and observation group ("SOG") :wink: - of which rum is best with which Ginger beer.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

I have the Same memory as Joe M regarding Barritts vs Goslings ginger beer.

Some where in the archives is a link to a Wall Street Journal article by Eric Felton that sheds more light on the Dark N Stormy. He also now has a book with the article included titled "How's Your Drink: ....".

IMHO all that's needed is a splash of GB and as Mr Felton states the citrus ruins the drink.

Fair winds.
Bill Member #250.
pjust

Post by pjust »

Well, if it's a Dark 'n' Stormy you're fixing, then Gosling would be the orthodox choice, though for a dark rum I've always favored Meyers. Of late, however, I've been favoring "rhum agricole", i.e., rum made from cane juice rather than molasses. I like it just on the rocks, or in a run gimlet. My favorite juicer is a rum from Martinique, St. Andrews (the basic is, IMHO, better than the more expensive aged versions) but it can be hard to find. 10 Cane is a cane juice rum from Trinidad that is easier to find and when on sale is a great deal at $20/bottle (in Vermont).

Cheers!
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Want to experiment a little: http://bayourum.com/
Have A Nice Day
Big E
Salem, MA

Post by Big E »

Mount Gay & Ginger ale with a floater of Wray & Nephew Overproof... Pure Nectar.
The perfect reward when I'm back on the mooring.
Cheers!
Noel Heslop
Location: Cape Dory 25D #141, "Breezy", Lake Macquarie, East Coast of Australia

Reunion Island Rum

Post by Noel Heslop »

I vote for Reunion Island rum with a hint of Indian ocean, straight from bottle to small glass. Now I am an expert (drip under pressure) as I am sure 40 odd years ago I tasted Bundaberg rum and did not like it at all. Made in tropical Queensland with a hint of Pacific ocean.

I liked Reunion Island rum so much, I bought 5 litres to bring back home for myself and friends. The only problem at Sydney airport was I also bought 2 litres of duty free scotch whisky which is the allowable duty free amount for Australia. I am still here to tell the tale, because having planned to talk my way through customs when they x-rayed my very heavy bag, I was directed to the sniffer dog line. The dog clearly identified me as a clean cut, ex convict stock, now law abiding citizen, and was not the least interested in my 5 litres of contraband stuff.

My first mate of 40+ years Christmas pudding was the best ever this year, with the addition of Rhum Charrette "Rhum Blanc" at 49%. Yes, I still have some of the 3 litre cask which I have unsuccessfully added to various fruits to "enhance" the flavour, as this rum is for mixing. I think we will only use for future Christmas puddings.
The Rhum that I vote for, at 40%, has long since been drunk, and I do not know the brand, but with Isle De La Reunion being part of France, it did have a hint of cognac.

History is that 100 years ago there were 100 plus small factories making rum on Reunion Island, and now there are only 2.

OOPS, 1st mate has just corrected me, it was Christmas cake!
Noel Heslop CD25D #141 "Breezy"