The best rum

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

David Morton

The best rum

Post by David Morton »

White, Gold, Dark? Jamaican? Indian? Pussers?

What are we prepared to declare as the only rum fit for CDSOA sailors after a hard sail on the Rolling Main? Arrrgh!
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: The best rum

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Finally, something in which I have some practical experience and knowledge and years of self-taught education. :D :D :D :D :D

Myers' Dark Rum or Captain Morgan's Rum
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

The best, or maybe the worst rum I ever tasted was given to me by a friend in St Croix. It was half way between golden and dark rum. It was like drinking cream soda at first and shortly after, Va Voom. This stuff would kick like a mule and then blow your socks off. It reminded me of syrupy JP-5.

I fear that my reply is moot. This nuclear concoction had no name. It was home brewed. Sigh. Maybe it is just as well that it isn't available to mankind. You know, preservation of the human species.

Mixed thoughts,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Am not a fan of Rum but as I've sailed in the Carrib many times, I must say I've an affinity for Pussers Rum. But especially since the owner of Pussers gives a substantial portion of sales of his Rum to the Marine Soldiers' Home I'd vote for Pussers. Ran into the founder at Marina Key one night some years ago. Picture will follow later, since I'm on the road.

Then there is the 2nd runner up, the Black Strap Molasses Rum which I'd hold up to any drink! Arrrrrrgh..
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Oswego John

Post by Oswego John »

Robert just reminded me of something when he mentioned Cap't Morgan.

A few years back, Ed Haley, Mike Ritenour and myself were crossing NYS on Mike's CD 33, LaVida. We motored eastward on the Erie Canal, en route to NYC. We tied up in Waterford, the east end of the canal before entering the Hudson River the next day.

Dozens of boats, mostly sail were at the main quay and as the sun went down the captains from all over the world greeted one another. Nearby is a gin pole/crane for setting or dismasting the craft who use the Erie and the Champlain Canal leading to Canada.

That night I personally met Captain Morgan. We became best buddies. Woo Hoo. I learned a rule to live by that night in Waterford, make sure that there is an ample supply of ice to chill the ginger beer.

Some day, if you get the chance, ask Ed or Mike about our waitress for breakfast the next morning.
:D :wink:

Indelible cruising memories,

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I had this stuff in Trinidad a bunch of decades ago... came in a pint bottle and I'm thinking it didn't actually have a brand. Wasn't bought in a store, either, just from some guy in the street.

As for declaring any particular run, "The Official Rum of the Cape Dory Sailboat Owners Association," that will only happen by putting it to a vote of the board and perhaps a vote of the membership overall, in either case, or perhaps both cases, only if the applicants provide adequate samples for a fair (i.e., "extended") study.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Oswego John

Post by Oswego John »

Neil,

I'll drink to that. :D

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:Neil,

I'll drink to that. :D

O J

I was going to add in the notion of a "blind" taste test, but having pretty much done that with the run in Trinidad, ...
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Russell

Post by Russell »

I drink whats cheap and local (and typically not exported, its what the locals drink), ussually leaning towards the "gold" rums as the "white" rums in the west indies tend to be 150+ proof (but properly made rum punch requires this nasty stuff stuff, and an extra couple bottles on board for use as emergency fuel for the engine). Often I find rum thats cheapers then whatever I buy to mix it with, then I know I found "my stuff". The only rum I ever found though that I didnt like at all is the Rhum Agricole found in the FWI, the odd taste just put me off.

I toured rum distilleries in nearly all the caribbean islands, and its a good thing that stuff is high proof, most of them were not very sanitary looking!

Most small rum shops make their own "spiced rum", which can be interesting and scary to try. They pull out a bottle containing all sorts of stuff soaking in the rum, not all of which looks "food grade", and as a vegetarian I am pretty sure I have consumed some non vegetarian things drinking this stuff. This stuff is typically not sold as a recreational beverage, more as medicine (virility and aphrodesiac being common reasons to prescribe it).
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

Russell wrote: This stuff is typically not sold as a recreational beverage, more as medicine (virility and aphrodesiac being common reasons to prescribe it).
Perhaps a cap full or so. Any more than that and you might be asleep until the following afternoon, if you woke up at all.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I worked with a Jamaican gentleman (Henry) 30+ years ago and he used to bring a Thermos of rum "from home" which was the clear variety. Toward the end of the workday we would occasionally make time to have a little drink. The local custom "back home" was to cut it with carrot juice, of all things, so this is the way I was introduced to it. It would take your breath away immediately and take your common sense soon after. :wink:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Well...I would think that the best type of rum depends on whether you lock your prop or not while sailing, or perhaps which type of anchor you use while preparing your favorite cocktails. i thought it had to be Gosling's for a Dark and Stormy, and Bacardi dark for a Cuba Libre. This is why it is SO much easier to just pop open a Guinness. :wink: Sláinte!
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Russell

Post by Russell »

tjr818 wrote:Well...I would think that the best type of rum depends on whether you lock your prop or not while sailing, or perhaps which type of anchor you use while preparing your favorite cocktails. i thought it had to be Gosling's for a Dark and Stormy, and Bacardi dark for a Cuba Libre. This is why it is SO much easier to just pop open a Guinness. :wink: Sláinte!
Havana Club actually for a Cuba Libre, but Bacardi is a fair substitute in the US (since it was originally a Cuban rum before moving to Puerto Rico, which in turn makes most Puerto Ricans prefer Don Q since its a "real" PR rum).

Another one people commonly mistake is Pussers for Pain Killers, Cruzan is actually the "proper" rum for it according to the bar that invented the drink. Pussers is just better at marketing, thus this common mistake.

But really, if you have rum, drink it, who cares whats proper, right? The only time I get snobby about drinks is when people put ice, water or anything in a good single malt, just wasteful!
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Bibster

I think it depends on how you plan to drink it

Post by Bibster »

If you want to mix it, then I think Myer's, Cruzan or Pusser's are quite good. For mojitos, I find Ron Matusalem Platino (white) is a high quality, affordable choice. If you plan to drink it neat or on the rocks, then it is hard to beat El Dorado 15 year old, Pusser's 15 year old, Ron Zacapa (all of their offerings are excellent), Havana Club Anejo 7 Anos or their Seleccion de Maestros (if you are someplace where you can get them, i.e., outside of U.S. territory), just to name a few. These rums are equivalent to the higher end single malt scotches and their prices reflect it. Ron Matusalem 8 year old dark is a great rum for sipping or mixing and it can be had for $20 a bottle if you shop around. It is very similar in flavor to Havana Club Anejo 7 and it stands up quite well to rums that cost much more.
Last edited by Bibster on Jan 18th, '14, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Don Q Anejo goes down easily when served neat.
Have A Nice Day