Tackling the Cutlass Bearing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

barfwinkle

Re: Tackling the Cutlass Bearing

Post by barfwinkle »

albeit cool (alright down right cold) I got 'er dun today! Not warm yet though!

Time for warming by the fire and a few of adult beverages :!:

Now hopefully the "re-install" will go smoothly :D
Bill Member #250.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Just curious... How's the wear on the shaft?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Bill:

In the photo is that a dripless shaft seal next to the shaft :?: If not, have you given any thought to installing a dripless shaft seal during the re-installation process :?:

http://www.shaftseal.com/en/categories

I have read good things about the PSS Shaft Seal. I believe that is what was installed on S/V Bali Ha'i by the PO. He said it worked well.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Bill:

In the photo is that a dripless shaft seal next to the shaft :?: If not, have you given any thought to installing a dripless shaft seal during the re-installation process :?:
I don't know what Bill's thinking, but along with my repower from MD7A to Beta, I'll be installing a dripless seal. I've heard all good things.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

Looks like the usual stuffing box with hose and clamps. I also vote for the PSS. Planning on doing the same, myself.
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Neil Gordon wrote:Just curious... How's the wear on the shaft?
Neil I hope you & yours are surviving winter's blast. Unfortunately I don't have the experience to tell other than there was wear at the point where the packing contacted the shaft. The bearing was bad and 30 years old, so I decided to go ahead & replace the shaft.

I have not given the PSS dripless any thought because I haven't priced one nor do I know much about them. I'll look into them.

In the pic left to right are: stuffing box, old hose & shaft etc.....

Fair winds
Bill Member #250.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Neil

What kind of shaft are you gaining it use, SS or bronze/brass?

Fair winds
Bill Member #250.
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Go with a new SS shaft. The bronze ones are too soft, and easier to get bent. Make sure it is pure SS. IMHO.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

barfwinkle wrote:I have not given the PSS dripless any thought because I haven't priced one nor do I know much about them. I'll look into them.
In the $225.00 range if you have a 1" shaft. There's a pretty good explanation of them here:

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/pss-shaf ... OgodW30AnQ
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Dripless seals have gone up in price - what hasn't. I installed one 5 years ago and have been pleased with it.
Consider a 3 blade michigan or campbell sailor prop = since everything else in your drive train will be new.
Re-power isnt cheap but the difference under power is most rewarding.
CD 30c #42
S/V "Bluesails"
+ 41.69989
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

Ron M. wrote:Dripless seals have gone up in price - what hasn't. I installed one 5 years ago and have been pleased with it.
Consider a 3 blade michigan or campbell sailor prop = since everything else in your drive train will be new.
Re-power isnt cheap but the difference under power is most rewarding.
That's the plan... New Beta, new shaft, new shaft log, new bearing, new prop, new hoses, etc. I'll try to save the cables and shifter and all of the existing boat holes.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Vetus makes a good water lift muffler with articulating ports for consideration while your at it.
CD 30c #42
S/V "Bluesails"
+ 41.69989
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Ok Captains Commanding

I am sooooo perplexed and am beginning to question the collective wisdom and knowledge of this board. :D :D :D

Just how far up the stern tube are the set screws (exterior)? And how deep? From the pic (posted by Gary H) thread it looks like they might be 1/4" or maybe even 3/8"?

Help!

TIA FW and hopefully you know I' teasing!
Bill Member #250.
Ron Churgin

Post by Ron Churgin »

I've never had a dripless shaft seal. I understand the advantages but would like to know from those who have them...what do you do if there is a failure? With conventional packing the slow drip gets worse and worse, but you can always (up to a point) tighten up the nuts and get back to port.

If a PSS seal fails under way or at an unattended boat are the consequences disastrous? I don't know and would be interested to hear from folks who have them.

Ron
Ron Churgin
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Ron Churgin wrote:I've never had a dripless shaft seal. I understand the advantages but would like to know from those who have them...what do you do if there is a failure? With conventional packing the slow drip gets worse and worse, but you can always (up to a point) tighten up the nuts and get back to port.

If a PSS seal fails under way or at an unattended boat are the consequences disastrous? I don't know and would be interested to hear from folks who have them.

Ron
Ditto!
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27