bilge ice

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: bilge ice

Post by Neil Gordon »

Robert,

I don't have any of THAT single malt left, but I have an ample supply of replacement single malt. Fear not.

By the way, here in the Northeast, we not only have sailor socks, but we have extra special, extra secret sailor pajamas, too.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I cannot resist.

In Minneapolis it is -20 with 20 knots of wind tonight. Colder up by the boat. They actually cancelled school today and now just called it for tomorrow too. Wind chill about 70 below they reckon. That's cold my friends. (Spoken like Crocodile Dundee as in, (That's not a knife…") All our windows are iced up, few things work, example the garage door opener, my neighbor's snowblower, my 13 year old car…

Anyway, haul out and winterizing properly for the season is taken pretty seriously by us northern lot, but even this winter may test our theories and methods. My brother and I, in front of the fire the other day drinking a fine beverage, wondered if we would find some leaking plumbing lines during fitting out this spring. We will see. Here is the standard winterizing procedure we use once on the hard for the most gnarly winters this side of Cape Horn. It has worked well for us over the last ten years.
  • -Drain fresh water tanks and hot water heater if you have one
    -Empty, flush, empty holding tank
    -Use a gallon of pink stuff (-50 propylene glycol) per tank and pump through hot and cold water lines, heater etc
    -Use a gallon in the head and pump through, leave seacocks open
    -Pump bilge and pour a gallon of pink in there and pump through manual and electric bilge pumps
    -Disconnect engine intake from seacock and stick in a bucket with a gallon or so of pink stuff
    -Start motor and run till exhaust flows pink then fog air intake and stop
    -Remove fresh water pump impeller
    -Pour some Stabil in Diesel tank
    -Top up batteries and leave solar panel set up through regulator or set up a trickle charger
    -Turn off battery switch and check and close propane at tanks
    -Leave open cockpit drains
    -Cover boat (A whole 'nother thread here, don't get me started on lose flapping tarps with half full antifreeze bottles hanging off them!)
    -Leave open some port lights for ventilation, I even leave in my hatch screens in and place 10 vents in the shrink wrap
    -Place Bounce fabric softener sheets all through cabin and lockers - where you don't want critters
    -Clean everything up and say a little prayer to the god of frost
I may have missed something here but generally, we try to keep things dry, covered and ventilated produces good results with little surprises come spring. I doubt a little ice in the bilge would hurt anything as the ice can expand up pretty easily. It is when it freezes hard within a confined space that you get problems mostly. But I would not rest easy all winter if I forgot to pour some pink down the bilge if only because you do get a little water in there, even with a proper cover.

OK back to my car….
Paul
CDSOA Member
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Hey Paul,

On the positive side, no mosquitoes tonight. :D :D

Think springtime.
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Well O.J. wins again. Here in Saint Louis we only have one foot of snow, -10 degrees, and a wind chill of -35.
Is that really gel coat in the bilge? Ours doesn't look that smooth. I always thought is was just resin and roving. :?:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Megunticook:

I fear my post temporarily "sidetracked" your thoughtful post on bilge, ice, water, etc. I apologize.

In my defense, I have had Neil G. and OJ as role models over the past several years. Both are reprobates. :D :D :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

OJ,

No bugs indeed! Best part about winter camping. In fact several of us, well maybe only one or two, are actually rather excited the pine beetles will suffer in our north woods.

Lots of soup and bread making going on here.

Hope the boats survive alright.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:In my defense, I have had Neil G. and OJ as role models over the past several years. Both are reprobates. :D :D :D
It was a long time ago, in the range of four and a half decades, but I was described then as incorrigible. I wonder what happened to her.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:Hey Paul,

On the positive side, no mosquitoes tonight. :D :D

Think springtime.
O J
That's exactly what the little critters are thinking. They spend winter planning their coordinated assaults.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
mcos

Post by mcos »

No big problem. The bilge is narrower on the bottom. The ice pushes up out of the bilge relieving the side force. The freezing isn't the problem, it is the expansion as the ice starts to melt. To ease your mind, cut a chunk of Styrofoam and wedge it in the bilge. Fit isn't particular as long as it will stay wedged in and not simply float up . You could also wedge a suitably sized plastic bottle in the bilge. The idea is to provide expansion room to absorb the force of the expanding ice. I usually dump a gallon of RV antifreeze in the bilge then wedge the bottle as far down in the bilge as I can reach with a slab of Styrofoam. Hope this helps.