I bought a Typhoon and found it has the wrong mast :^(

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sally Perreten

Re: I bought a Typhoon and found it has the wrong mast :^(

Post by Sally Perreten »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Sally Perreten wrote:90 days, folks, before April and boat work time in New England.
My usual plan is to be floating within 100 days. Work can start as soon as it's warm enough to take the cover off and work without gloves... mid-March or so.
That's in the good years, and we can hope. We were sailing by mid April last year, so no complaints. In any case, I like your plan.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

[quote="Sally Perreten"Echo does not have a compression post. I'm thinking you have to choose between one and a head. .... but our deck looks fine and seems to take it. I wonder about the real need for one, but Mark makes me wonder.]

Sally,

In the future, if you feel the need, there is a way to support the cuddy roof and have a head. Some owners cut multiple sections of plywood contoured to fit up under the roof and down the sides of the cuddy.

The plywood beam sections are glued and fastened together to create one thick beam. The supporting beam is tabbed to the roof and walls of the cabin above the head.

The way that you're set up now should be okay providing that you don't do any kind of kamikaze sailing. Without using a compression post, probably the one thing that brings the onset of a sunken cabin roof is having the stays and shrouds as tight as guitar strings.

Good luck. Happy New Year.

Think spring,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

Thank you, OJ….much appreciated. We are both in the category of not-so-young, so I think Echo is safe from being overstressed. And we keep our standing rigging only tight enough to keep the mast upright.
Sally
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

Steve Laume wrote:...You got yourself the boom and upper mast section of a sliding Gunnter rig for a CD 10 or 14.
Absolutely that is what they are. They will be useful to anyone making their CD-1X into a sailing dingy.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com