Permanently raising the boom on a CD25D--good/bad?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

sustutt1

Permanently raising the boom on a CD25D--good/bad?

Post by sustutt1 »

I am in the market for a CD25D and have encountered some where the boom has permanently been raised to accommodate a bimini. Would appreciate any comment on what happens to the sail (now different from the original design) to power the boat when the sail area has been reduced. Especially a lee shore. Thanks in advance.

:roll: Sustutt
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Permanently raising the boom on a CD25D--good/bad?

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I just completed the process of raising the boom on S/V Bali Ha'i. The rigger raised the boom 13" to accommodate a new Bimini. I have NOT yet sailed with her with the boom raised. I am having new sails (both main and 130 Genoa) made by UK sails.

Somewhere in the archives of this website there is a discussion about the effects of raising the boom. I think most responses were positive.

I talked with several (perhaps many) sail makers, very experienced sailors, etc. I told them I wanted to raise the boom solely to accommodate a "head room" Bimini for South Florida sun/heat conditions. Universally, everyone said it was good idea and would not adversely effect the sailing characteristics.

1-2 experts told me "it's like having a permanent 1/2 reef in the main".

As everyone on this board well knows, I am a true rookie/tadpole sailor. I cannot, and do not, pretend to know the effect from personal experience. Given my limited skills, it was my thought (and decision) that having a permanent 1/2 reef was good for a guy like me. :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
steveg

Post by steveg »

Instead of raising the boom, why not just cut a triangle shape off the foot of the sail. It would be a long skinny triangle. It would taper so the tack may not need to move. The result being that the end of the boom would be higher when the sail was up. The length of the sail along the mast would be the same. This would likely be less costly, as it would only require a sail modification vs a sail and hardware modification. The clew would rise about a foot or whatever distance was necessary to give you adequate clearance. I assume you would just raise the end of the boom with the topping lift when you were not sailing. Would it be necessary to raise the forward of the boom? I guess it all just depends on how high and how far forward the bimini extends. Just a thought.

Either way it is doubtful you would notice much if any impact on performance.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
John #126

Post by John #126 »

Check the post and photos for the "CD 25D for sale in Hampton Roads VA" on the for-sale page. Looks like the guy did exactly that--raised the clew to clear a bimini.
Here's the link to additional photos: http://s946.photobucket.com/user/Topher ... t=3&page=1
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

steveg wrote:Instead of raising the boom, why not just cut a triangle shape off the foot of the sail. It would be a long skinny triangle. It would taper so the tack may not need to move. The result being that the end of the boom would be higher when the sail was up. The length of the sail along the mast would be the same. This would likely be less costly, as it would only require a sail modification vs a sail and hardware modification. The clew would rise about a foot or whatever distance was necessary to give you adequate clearance. I assume you would just raise the end of the boom with the topping lift when you were not sailing. Would it be necessary to raise the forward of the boom? I guess it all just depends on how high and how far forward the bimini extends. Just a thought.

Either way it is doubtful you would notice much if any impact on performance.
That is what we did for Sláinte when we had a new main built by UK Sailmakers. We had them raise the clew by 10".
10" x 11'-3" / 2 = 4.68 sq ft reduction in sail area, not enough to matter. It is real nice to no longer have to duck in the cockpit.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Raising the clew was suggested to me as well - I think by the "usual suspects" on this board. :D :D :D

I was tempted to do this. However, I did not like the way the mainsail looked when the boom was elevated at the clew. It seemed strange - at least to me a rookie. Also, I remembered from my first sailing class (2004) that the instructor said the boom should always be parallel to the deck/ocean. I am not sure I remember "why" but I remember he said "parallel to the deck".

Anyways, I now have a Bimini with standing head room. The only downside so far is that to deploy or fold back (fold up :?: ) the Bimini I have to disconnect the mainsail sheet from the boom. This is because I wanted the Bimini to fold back towards the stern/back stay and not forward over the cabin hatch cover.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

I raised the clew only with good results. You can experiment while sailing by using the first reef to pull the clew up until it's at the height you need. Be aware that the clew will lower when the reef is put in, unless you raise the reef points(I didn't). Under reef the clew is raised higher than the STOCK non reefed position, anyway. Raising the clew helps keep from dragging the boom in the water when beam reaching in high winds and seas.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Doug Daniel

Post by Doug Daniel »

To John #126,

Just FYI........ I own the boat in Hampton Roads and the main has not been cut. I keep the boom raised in dock so I don't bang my head into it. Simple answer ! ! ! !

OH........ and my bimini is short. I do not have standing headroom under the bimini.

That is an option that keeps the sun off me and does not reduce the sail. :)
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

I sailed with Bob Dugan on his CD 25D Cricket. He had the raised boom configuration but no Bimini. The center of effort was a little higher which made it a bit more tender than my CD 25D with standard height boom. Overall it was a fair trade off for the head room. Bob may have a different opinion.