"All Is Lost"

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: "All Is Lost"

Post by Neil Gordon »

Given the cost of making a movie, the investment in a technical advisor or two to get the details right seems well worth it.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
joemerchant

Post by joemerchant »

We went with a pretty good size group and I am relaying the opinion of the group that saw it.

See the movie first - and I think everyone should see it. We need to tell Hollywood that we have an appetite for these kinds of movies. Again. The biggest complaint was not filling it in before, after, or during with at least a few flashback scenes for the non-sailor to connect with Redford's character. Similar to Castaway or even Dead Calm - Or do a better job with getting the average person immersed into Redford's Character. The movie is 99% visual, so there are some boring parts and you to will not miss those items I pointed out. My wife cries during every movie with a sad part, but she didn't feel connected to the character enough at the times she should have and I am holding back on those not to spoil the movie.

Sorry if the review sounded like a post mortem negative, but go see it and then we can see if we agree on the points and hopefully like many other movies, Hollywood duplicates it. And I truly don't mean to steer anyone away from it or be overly critical.

It is a great discussion for those who actually saw the movie.
joemerchant

Post by joemerchant »

Neil Gordon wrote:Given the cost of making a movie, the investment in a technical advisor or two to get the details right seems well worth it.
1 Actor
1 Director / Writer
11 Executive Producers
6 Other named Producers

Just under 10 million budget

That is not much today, but about the same (adjusted) as Dead Calm.
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

I saw the movie yesterday and really enjoyed it. I thought Redford and the director both did a great job. However, it did require a little work on the part of the viewer. It really doesn't work as either an adventure flick or a sailing movie - you kinda have to put yourself into the character and imagine going through what Redford was going through.

Footnote - they went thru 3 Cal 39s making the movie.

Forrest
Forrest Paddock
Houston, TX
Supporting this site through membership in the CDSOA, Inc. Member 420
Mike Thompson

Post by Mike Thompson »

I enjoyed it and found it quite gripping and identified with the character being portrayed.

About the end of the film, it seemed to represent an after death experience rather than a rescue.

Don't take the details of the film too seriously. It's not an educational movie.
Mike Thompson, Sailor and Artist
CD 28 HAVEN, Spruce Head, Maine
http://cunliffethompson.com
MFC
Hull No.128

Post by MFC »

I really enjoyed it -- was engaged and entertained from start to finish. It is not a "great movie" because the subject is not that of a great movie. But I had a great time talking about all of the details and the sailor's skill set, choices, decision making, etc with my sailing partner. I recommend it without hesitation.
tom ricks

SPOILER ALERT - this post gives away the ending!

Post by tom ricks »

I saw it last night in a Maine fishing town. The audience was rapt--lots of "uh oh"s and "uh uh"s as stuff happened.

I think the theme of the film was that you can do pretty much everything right and still lose. Redford's character is inventive, thoughtful, and focused. But he still drowns. (I think the last scene was meant to be ambiguous--is it the light of rescue or the light that people see when dying?)

All in all, a nautical version of Redford's earlier film "Jeremiah Johnson."

Best,
Tom Ricks
Gary H

Spoiler Alert!

Post by Gary H »

Tom - I believe you just gave away the ending to those of us who have not yet seen the film! ARRR!

SPOILER ALERT- if, like me, you have not yet seen the movie and plan to, you may want to avoid the previous post.

Gary
CDSOA Member 1389
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Spoiler Alert!

Post by Neil Gordon »

Gary H wrote:Tom - I believe you just gave away the ending to those of us who have not yet seen the film! ARRR!

SPOILER ALERT- if, like me, you have not yet seen the movie and plan to, you may want to avoid the previous post.

Gary
With my magic Vice Commodore powers, I edited the title of the subject post to include a warning label.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
tom ricks

Post by tom ricks »

Sorry! I thought the cat already had been let out of the bag by the earlier comment, "About the end of the film, it seemed to represent an after death experience rather than a rescue."
Best,
tom
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

40 Lashes for Skipper Tom! Arrrrr is right! But then what more might we expect from this piece of cinematography under discussion! :)
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

I still have not seen the movie, but saw some previews on the web. One scene shows Redford climbing the mast, to fix something, in very stormy weather, wearing a rather expensive wrist watch and a wedding band on one finger… myself, I remove all my jewelry when at the boat, since almost always something catches at the wrong time and place. Doesn't seem to me that was too "salty".. maybe one of the innumerable producers, etc. missed that detail. I do plan to go see the movie and it doesn't bother me to know the details. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Zeida
CDSOA Member
jepomer

Re: "All Is Lost" - missing something to help identify with

Post by jepomer »

I was very disappointed in the movie. So was my wife. We both had looked forward to seeing this film. Although it has received high praises but I could not identify with the character the way the story was told.

The movie starts with a short speak-over describing the character's feeling that "all is lost", then goes back eight days watching a story about a series of events that go wrong and a person's reactions to these events. That part would have been a very good story. But the story does not even hint to why the character was out to sea, what was his state of mind, why several things were incredulous.

One should go to the movie with a notion that the character might have recently lost his wife (he wears a wedding ring), that they often cruised (the boat is reasonably outfitted) and may have planned a long cruise before her death (or something similar).

If the story somehow conveyed the why he was there and why several incredulous things happened, then it would have been a truly exciting story to see on the big screen...
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

While visiting with family in Burlington, Vt, we went to see All Is Lost this past weekend. After the movie, my brother-in-law, nephew, and I sat around dissecting the film - discussing what we would possibly do differently, what impressed us, and where the film seemed to conflict with reality. My wife and sister, on the other hand, immediately agreed that the most significant departure from reality was that no man could possibly look that good at 77 years of age!!!
CDSOA Member 1389
jim trandel
Location: '83 Typhoon Weekender, #1907 "Second Wind" Chicago Monroe Harbor

Post by jim trandel »

Saw the movie and enjoyed it! I did reflect on what I would do if making a journey similar to what was shown in the movie. If I were to solo, it would be a priority to be legal and have a radar w/alarm to stand watch while I rested. I would reef and bend on a storm jib at the sight of a storm. I would damage control ASAP by shoring up a hole with a blanket or cushion, etc. If I thought there was a possibility to abandon ship and had time such as Redford did, I would have my water, food and sextant ready for my exit. Like the previous post, the movie was an insight to a reactionary sailor rather than a sailor with a proactive mind set.

Best regards,
Jim