One of the dangers of being "thethered" to your sailboat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rtbates

Re: One of the dangers of being "thethered" to your sailboat

Post by rtbates »

For ultimate safety a single hander needs:

1. Wear a PDF
2. Wear a safety harness
3. Have a boarding ladder that can be deployed FROM THE WATER
4. Trail a floating line with grab holds along it's length

last and certainly not least

5. A release line that can release the autopilot or whatever keeping the vessel on course

Always think of falling overboard as INSTANT DEATH, and act accordingly, even on Biscayne Bay.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
matane

Post by matane »

This is a very old post but will definitely apply to me since I single hand. At the moment it is only in Biscayne Bay with no self steering mechanism... Otherwise, for longer, offshore voyages with a self steering system I cannot imagine not having jacklines and a harness. I am likely going to either have a sheet to tiller system or windvane. In either case I would have a line attached in which I could at least attempt to disengage the steering so it rounded about. Many of you mentioned a rope ladder. Definitely a good idea to have this easily accessible and attached to a line so it can easily be pulled over. I don't think I have ever heard of someone soloing offshore without a tether/jacklines. Lots of things could have happened to this guy. Multis are v. hard to climb back up on I would imagine! So a rope ladder would be a must.
Russell

Post by Russell »

rtbates wrote:For ultimate safety a single hander needs:

1. Wear a PDF
2. Wear a safety harness
3. Have a boarding ladder that can be deployed FROM THE WATER
4. Trail a floating line with grab holds along it's length

last and certainly not least

5. A release line that can release the autopilot or whatever keeping the vessel on course

Always think of falling overboard as INSTANT DEATH, and act accordingly, even on Biscayne Bay.
Sorry, I know this is a couple months old now, but I often see this said on various web forums and I cant help jumping in about it.

Trailing a line behind the boat does not work. I am sorry, but it doesnt. Sure 6 knots seems slow, but if you are knocked overboard, the time to orient yourself, then swim towards this trailing line, the line would have to be insanely long, well over 100 feet, the drag would be insane. And secondly, once you grabbed it, then what? Have you ever tried to hold onto a line while being drug behind a boat? I have (as an experiment with a trusted friend at the helm), even with knots, loops (more drag BTW) you wont be able to hold on, the drag your body creates is just too much. And even if you could hold on, what now? You couldnt get back to the boat with all that drag. And the windvane/autopilot trip line idea does not work either, the drag would keep tripping it accidentally making it unsafe. These ideas sound good on internet forums but you will not find anyone in real life doing such things. I am sorry to sound harsh or snobby about it, but its reality.

The one and only way to survive, single handed, double handed or full crew, is to stay on the boat. There is an endless list of people who died at sea after falling overboard on fully crewed boats, not just single handed. The average speed of a boat is simply fast enough that out in the ocean, you are long gone before reaction can kick in, unless you are in near flat calm water where the waves will not hide your tiny head bobbing around out there.

Stay on the boat, period, dont waste effort and boat speed trailing warps when they are not needed for their proper use.

And for what its worth, and this is a point i will admit is debatable, I do not wear a PDF when single handing, I wear a harness only. I have come to terms with the fact that if I go overboard, its over and I would prefer the quick death over the long drawn out one. Harness keeps me on board, PDF keeps me afloat when overboard when death is pretty much already inevitable. Keep in mind however that this is for offshore single handing, inshore singlehanding or offshore where more then 1 person is aboard you would be nuts to not wear a PDF when leaving the cockpit or durring any iffy weather.

I do keep an emergency ladder astern, http://www.landfallnavigation.com/sp29009.html I think these are useful for everyone, if only for the time you are just plain stupid and jump in the water on a hot day and forget to put down the proper swim ladder first. I have no illusion that I will get onboard with this while the boat is sailing away from me, but it isnt causing drag or hurting anything to have it there. I suppose one could hang one of these at each stancion to aide in climbing aboard while still tethered to a moving boat, but I doubt it would really help much.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
matane

Post by matane »

It would be kind of interesting to do some calculations- entering in the variables: rope dia, length, and type. Then the size and particulars of the boat. From this you would know if drag was affecting your speed.
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:If, and I am not sure of this, I were to decide to install a jack line, a few questions.

What material :?:

What shape :?: Flat or round. I would think flat would be safer.

On a Cape Dory 25D, one jack line running from bow to stern or two jack lines running bow to stern port and starboard :?:

Thanks.
My choice is two jack lines of 2" flat tube webbing, running down each side deck from the bow cleats to the stern cleats.

This allows cockpit to bow access without having to unclip and reclip. Always go down the high side.

For me the story isn't so much about the dangers of being tethered to your sailboat, rather the dangers of falling off. One should treat falling off the boat the same as one would treat falling off a 1000' cliff. DEATH.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
rorik

Post by rorik »

I read their description and made a set for myself:

http://www.apsltd.com/images/gallery/ca ... e02_lg.jpg

They're from here, near the bottom of the page:

http://www.apsltd.com/c-3556-tethers-jacklines.aspx
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

Hello all,
I would like to share a related story. When we were living on our sailboat in the Northshore marina on the north end of the Lake Ponchartrain bridge, long ago, one of our friends there was a professional offshore saturation diver living nearby on a Bristol 32. He was making some changes and setting the boat up for extended cruises offshore. After he installed a new wind vane steering system he took his dad out on the lake on a moderate chop day, and adjusted it. After he got used it it, he snapped on his safety line from his harness to the cockpit pad eye, explained how he wanted to test getting back into the boat alone under wind vane, with no help, and agreed on emergency signals. He carefully prepared, jumped into the water, and in a short period of time nearly drowned. He later explained to all of us, once he got in the water, doing maybe 5 knots, he was face down being pulled from the chest connection as planned, and he was so totally inundated with a plume of water in his face he could neither breathe, or flip onto his back. His dad did not know how bad it was, and could not tell from his antics that he was in trouble. He could not get enough air to scream, and could not reach the steering trip line to kill the boat direction or speed. He was in very good shape with strong lungs. He never did that again, but made a few changes to the system.
Be warned--and be careful.
BobC
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Specific recommendations for jack lines and tethers

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I hope everyone enjoyed a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

With the end of modifications and upgrades sort of "in sight" (mid-Jan 2014) I have been thinking again about the subject of jack lines, tethers, etc.

I would like to get recommendations on specific makes, brands, part no., etc., for jack lines and tethers. My limited internet research suggests Wichard makes good quality jack lines and tethers. I know there are several other brands of good quality.

What specific jack lines and tethers are Cape Dory owners using on their CDs :?:

I currently have a Mustang PFD (MD3184) with an integrated harness system (but no crotch strap). I will be attaching the tether to this PFD.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: Specific recommendations for jack lines and tethers

Post by Oswego John »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:I hope everyone enjoyed a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

With the end of modifications and upgrades sort of "in sight" (mid-Jan 2014) I have been thinking again about the subject of jack lines, tethers, etc.
Robert, you old sea dog,

I have no intention of highjacking your thread but this question begs to be asked. (mid- Jan, 2014). Hmmm, isn't that about the time of the end of college Christmas break. :?:

Is there any exciting news that you are holding back from us. :D :D

Breathless with anticipation in snowy Oswego, NY

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Specific recommendations for jack lines and tethers

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Oswego John wrote: . . . isn't that about the time of the end of college Christmas break. :?:
O J
Answer: yes. :D :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I run two flat webbing jack lines I picked up on line. They have a sewn clip on one end and I tie them off on the other. My harness is a simple West Marine jobby. I have a double tether with a quick release on the harness. One line is 6' and the other is 3'. I feel that having a long and short tether is very important. It would be nice if the long one retracted a bit to it didn't hang up on things when you walk around but I manage. I don't think any of this stuff needs to be high tech. I do have a few pad eyes in the cockpit and two just forward of the stern cleats. I also have a serious pad eye through bolted to the foredeck with a backing plate just aft of the mooring cleats so all of my jack line attachments are independent of the original cleats.

The most important part of the system is using it, Steve.
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

In researching jack lines I came across this website:

http://www.strapworks.com/Webbing_Strap ... s_s/20.htm

Has anyone purchased product from this site/company :?:

In looking at the available options for jack lines, it seems like the "polypropylene" or "polyester" material would be appropriate for jack lines. The polypropylene material is rated at 675 to 1,800 lbs. breaking strength. I "assume" (yes, I know) the variable is the width of the material. The polyester material is rated at 1,500 to 10,000 lbs. breaking strength.

Rather than purchase pre-made from Wichard, West Marine or Defender, etc. I am thinking of purchasing from a co. like the referenced website above.

The prices are surprising low (I think). $.29/ft. for the polypropylene and $1.10/ft. for the polyester.

I am considering two (2) sets of jack lines running from the bow cleats to the stern cleats port and starboard with a possible "wrap around" either the mast or the handrails on the cabin roof. I would want at least one "loop" in each jack line to be secured to the bow cleats. The other end of the line would not have a "loop" and would be secured to the stern cleat with a cleat hitch. In this way, the jack line can be more easily "tightened" if it should stretch.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone has used this co., and thoughts on the material, set up, etc.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:The polypropylene material is rated at 675 to 1,800 lbs. breaking strength. I "assume" (yes, I know) the variable is the width of the material. The polyester material is rated at 1,500 to 10,000 lbs. breaking strength.
Keep in mind the significant difference between breaking strength and safe working load. It's best not to learn this principle as you're going over the side. The 1" polypropylene has a 900 lb. breaking strength but only a 300 lb. working load. If you're falling and rely on a sudden stop to save you, 300 lb. is not enough.

Also note (i) knots and the like reduce breaking strength, (ii) UV drops the strength over time, (iii) chafe resistance matters, (iv) etc.

Making your own makes sense, but I wouldn't cheap out on materials.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

I have purchased from strapworks. They seem fine to me, but I would pick one of there other products. If I fell six feet over the side I am sure I would break that 300# line. A sudden load on a line really increases the force. I 'd want something rated a lot higher.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27