CD Typhoon is a dog?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Shelby
Location: CD Typhoon/open daysailer...."Liberty".......OKC,OK

CD Typhoon is a dog?

Post by Shelby »

Like a few on this board, I have a bit too much time on my hands lately. So I was perusing, other boards, just to see what was going on. On the website called.....Trailersailor....I read through a thread about comparing a CD Typhoon with a Precision 18, to wit...a Precison owner stated that he had rented a Typhoon...and found it to be painfully slow and a real dog. His comments seemed to have touched a few nerves, mine included, I know my Ty is certainly not a dog, nor is it slow. If others here would like some distraction from the weather , go have a visit with "Trailersailor"...and give them your opinon.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: CD Typhoon is a dog?

Post by Oswego John »

Ha ha. If TrailerSailor says that my Ty is a dog, so be it. I've got news for them. My Jack Russell Terrier is a dog, too. She is a certified lunatic, a mental case of the nth degree. For better or for worse, I love my Ty as well as my basket case pet.

I didn't opt for a Ty to fill my trophy case and I didn't choose a Jack Russell to win blue ribbons. I got them and keep them for one main reason. I enjoy both of them.

Still smiling, :)

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

Here, here! Oswego John, I moved from a much faster big boat to a Typhoon for good reason. The TY is just a fun boat to sail, easy to maintain. No up and down moving keel/dagger and a build quality second to none. Oh yeah and I like the lines. TY's are for sure great boats and fun to sail.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
Shelby
Location: CD Typhoon/open daysailer...."Liberty".......OKC,OK

Post by Shelby »

Hey OJ, my best deck hand is Rat Terrorist. Stands his watch on the hatch forward of the mast, making it very clear when others get to close to "his" boat. takes his breaks napping on the flats either side of the tiller, two feet braced against the fiddles, and gets all excited when at home , I bring out his life jacket, cuz he KNOWS it means we are going out on the TY!!
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I've sailed both a Precision 18 and Typhoons a fair amount. And I have repaired both. Different experiences. One man's dog is another's best friend. So it is with the Ty. If my wife left me for a richer man (not hard to find) or my kids disowned me and I lost my job, I could really see a Typhoon being a pretty damn good friend. The Precision 18 with its more spacious cabin, less draft, wider transom and its more dinghy feel, might do for a moment. But I have to admit, the Ty would maintain the stronger and more long lasting attraction for me.

I do not look down upon the man who calls the Typhoon a dog, but I am glad he will not be among those who would compete with me to purchase my next one!
Paul
CDSOA Member
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

Nothing like a Typhoon - I always enjoy getting closer to the water, tending the sails without a winch, coming about slowly as the Ty steers herself - all the while I am looking back at other 23 foot boats and under as we pull away - and I am NOT racing! I have enough of that Thursday nights on my C&C 34. I just like the way the Typhoon feels - and the many comments I get from people as they gawk at the boat and say "What a beauty" - now if that is a dog, it must be a Greyhound, Irish Setter or Springer Spaniel! :D
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Invite him for a race in a blow.
No, on second thought that's not a good idea; he might drown.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

There is no comparison. Its like comparing a dog to a cat... a VERY ugly cat (no disrespect meant to cats, though).
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

If the object or the joy of sailing was to get somewhere or just move around as fast as possible, we would all have very big motors, instead of sails, Steve.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Pouring rain, high winds. Lousy weather for everything except a Guinness and a good book.

Shelby and all, this matter will be resolved shortly. I have a couple of friends who still work at one of those alphabet soup gov. agencies. :wink: They are computer geeks - unlike me. Shortly, this individual will not be able to post any more disrespectful "dog"-like comments on any website. :D :D :D Blasphemy :!:

I recall when I purchased S/V Tadpole, my first Cape Dory, a 1977 Ty Weekender, the owner/seller and I were transiting from his backyard canal to a marina for haul out, survey, etc. A large powerboat slowed down near us and asked what kind of sailboat :?: Rob (the seller) said "Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender". All on the powerboat said "very pretty". A little further along the transit a sailboat couple did the same thing. If I did not know better I would have thought this was "staged".

I now have a Cape Dory 25D and love her very much. But, sometimes I still long for my "Tadpole" Ty. They are beautiful, sleek, fast and fetching - all at the same time. :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

I have a dog and her name is Lucy. She is a chocolate lab. She is fast, good looking, loves to be out in any kind of weather, loyal to her owner, and will heel when asked to. Sounds like a Ty to me.
CDSOA Member 1389
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Good one , Gary. Very clever.

O J :)
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Dave H

Post by Dave H »

Just curious, does anyone know the PHRF ratings of Typhoon Weekender and P-18? How much time does one owe the other?

I'd like to race the p-18 sailor in light air too. Ever since making a drifter with 1.5 oz spinnacker cloth, I love to hear 5-10 in the forecast. Here in the mid-continent, on jnland lakes, or when the wind is off the land on Lake Superior, the wind is very puffy. I love the way the ballast of the Typhoon maintains her momentum between the puffs. Sailing with heavy ballast in light air is an art, and it is possible that the p-18 sailor who used the term "dog" was not practiced in the art of light air.

I was looking at a p-21 this fall, and noticed a spot near the bow, just above the waterline where the p-21 was worn through. I asked the broker what he thought, and he said this boat must have been on a bouy. I never saw a Cape Dory Sailboat where the gelcoat was worn through by a bouy.
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Ah well, let him call it what he wants...

New to the Typhoon, I find it like wines, some people simply have no taste for certain wines while they guzzle others with fascination and lust. Please continue then to guzzle while we, on the other hand, savor this vessel with delight!
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Most fin keel owners think all full keelers are dogs. Except the two Catalina owners, one 27 and one 34, at my marina that tried in vain to keep me from passing them beating into about 20+. The real shocker was that they had all sails up while I had only my 130 genoa. The degree to which I was out pointing both was amassing. The lee rail was under the entire 5-6 miles. Both are good friends so I didn't tease them TOO much..
Randy 25D Seraph #161