Typhoon Mainsail Material Weight

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim1945
Location: 1977 CDTy Weekender #1423, Toledo, Ohio. Sailing Lake Erie, CDSOA #1651

Typhoon Mainsail Material Weight

Post by Jim1945 »

Is there a standard weight in ounces of the Dacron used to make a mainsail for the Ty Weekender? I think that would vary whether you're talking about a costal cruising, offshore, etc. But since not many are going offshore in a Ty I assume most would order a coastal cruising type. I'm asking because I'm considering purchasing a main from the Sail Warehouse which has one for $475. It is made of 5 ounce Dacron with slugs on the foot and luff and standard battens. Where have others purchased mains?
Jeff D

Re: Typhoon Mainsail Material Weight

Post by Jeff D »

I purchased a new main from North Cruising Direct. It has 6oz cloth, is loose footed and has partial battens.
Shelby
Location: CD Typhoon/open daysailer...."Liberty".......OKC,OK

Post by Shelby »

Jeff D wrote:I purchased a new main from North Cruising Direct. It has 6oz cloth, is loose footed and has partial battens.
I second Jeff D comments, replaced my mainsail with a North Cruising Direct, really like this sail!!!
Jim1945
Location: 1977 CDTy Weekender #1423, Toledo, Ohio. Sailing Lake Erie, CDSOA #1651

Post by Jim1945 »

Jeff D wrote:I purchased a new main from North Cruising Direct. It has 6oz cloth, is loose footed and has partial battens.
Do you remember the price?
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

You could go Sailrite and just sew one up. The sailrite kits are very straight forward and can be done with pretty much any decent sewing machine. I've got a main, jib and storm from them. They are very good sails.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I'll second the Sailrite kits. I built a main and a job for my Ty in the basement on a pretty basic early '80's Necci machine and they turned out really nice. $475 is a good price though if it is in good shape. I doubt the lighter weight cloth would make a difference. I bought a Harken furler from Sail Warehouse ten years ago and had a really good experience. My mainsail had 5oz Dacron sailcloth I reckon.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

5 ounces sounds OK - will be easier to shape for light air. Just make sure that you get a row of reef points with the sail and perhaps draft stripes - may come in handy!
Jim1945

Post by Jim1945 »

Dick Villamil wrote:5 ounces sounds OK - will be easier to shape for light air. Just make sure that you get a row of reef points with the sail and perhaps draft stripes - may come in handy!
They include one set of reef points in the price. Don't know about the draft stripes.
Jeff D

Post by Jeff D »

I do not remember the exact cost - it was purchased with a working job for ~$800. As a point of comparison you can go to the FX Sails website and get a quote on-line with different options. I took a quick look and they seemed to average $500 for a main with partial battens and one reef.
Dave H

Post by Dave H »

I made a Typhoon Weekender mainsail for a friend from a Sailrite kit, 5.4 oz Supercruise Dacron. Very good kit.