bottom paint for cd 27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

david g

bottom paint for cd 27

Post by david g »

can anyone tell me the amount of paint it takes to do two coats on a cd 27?
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: bottom paint for cd 27

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

David:

A Cape Dory 25D takes 1 gallon of bottom paint (SeaHawk Tropikote) for two (2) coats. There is barely enough left to cover the jack stand spots and bottom of keel as she is placed on the lift and prepped for "splashing".

I would think you would need a little more than 1 gallon (perhaps plus a quart) for a CD 27. Whatever is extra don't save it (that was my mistake once). Use it :!: Give the waterline area a 3rd coat. :)
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

A 28 takes about 2/3 of a gallon for one coat.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

A lot will depend on which paint you are using. Hard, soft, in-between. We are using Micron CSC which goes on like water, two coats will be a little over a gallon. Are you using a brush, or a roller?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27