need advice or confort

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jeff Nelson

need advice or confort

Post by Jeff Nelson »

I need some advice. I have a typhoon for sale I can not sell. Am I too high, too low, need a survey, haven't said enough. To me the boat speaks on her own. Only one person has looked at it. They were not looking for a Cape Dory, anyway if it doesn't sell by spring I will put her back in the lake and enjoy. Thanks
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: need advice or confort

Post by tjr818 »

Where are you located and how much are you asking?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
casampson

Post by casampson »

We'd be better able to provide some advice if you posted some pictures or a link to your ad.
Jeff Nelson

Post by Jeff Nelson »

ad is posted on this board and Craigslist Columbus Ohio my location is part of the problem. I was asking 7800 took the price off to see if could get any response. Thanks for the response http://columbus.craigslist.org/boa/4114436540.html
James Henry

Post by James Henry »

Jeff, that is a pretty Typhoon. You probably are a little on the high side considering your distance from the East Coast (where the Typhoon has more name recognition) and the time of year. It seems people would be more swayed by a beautiful little vessel come Spring time.

I've had a Typhoon for almost 25 years and my love for Rebecca Anne (my Typhoon) has not diminished one iota. Just today I traveled sixty miles to inquire about a custom trailer. The trailer will probably cost me $3500 (I paid $3000 for the Typhoon).

I would encourage you to not despair. Wait till Spring and I'm sure you will find an appreciative buyer.

James Henry
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Jeff, ditto what James says, and your vessel is indeed gorgeous. I've looked at her and admired its condition. Price? Price seems to be whatever you can get for it. I do agree with the comment that you're probably a bit out of its indigenous ( can I use that word? ) environment; but then, so am I. My Ty was in good condition when I purchased her for about 4k last December. Trailer ran me 3.5k from Road King. I think exposing your vessel on websites is best for the niche market our vessels enjoy. Some lonely sailor will eventually find your Ty. Negotiate and find a happy price that suits you both. Again, a fine looking vessel. Any inside photos too? Bon Courage!
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
casampson

Post by casampson »

Jeff,

Jeff,

Your boat is beautiful and probably worth the price. As a friend of mine once said, however, it's only worth what you can sell it for, and market and time of year are against you. Try waiting until the spring, and you will most likely find a buyer. List in the Boston area Craigslist, and some of the other East Coast hot spots, and you might just have some luck finding someone willing to drive out and get her. I once bought a Bullseye from a seller in Detroit and drove it back to Cape Cod. It was a beautiful boat and worth the effort and expense.

I just bought a Typhoon in July for $3600. It had been sitting for ten or more years but was in nice overall condition. I spent $200 for new tires and $200 for new seacocks, bringing my cost to $4000. The trailer is what I wanted, and it's a nice one, so I think I got a good deal. I still have to restore the woodwork and do some more scrubbing. I am reluctant to paint over the gelcoat, which is what I would have to do to make mine look as pretty as yours. I've looked at a lot of Typhoons for sale since buying mine, and the prices are all over the place. The difference-makers seem to be, in order of importance, overall condition (including sails), trailer, roller furling jib, and outboard. Prices have ranged from free to almost $20k, so I think you are priced fairly -- especially if you have a roller furling jib.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

Chris
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Nice looking Typhoon. Try listing it on http://www.sailboatlistings.com There is no charge and I have been very successful there.
Have A Nice Day
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

Jeff,
Beautiful restoration and I think your price is reasonable. I might suggest that you include a list of the work you have done and the boats features/accessories. While the boat should speak for itself, a little marketing/promotion often helps. As you are selling a high end Ty, you may need to spell out all that one is getting. Good luck.
Gary
CDSOA Member 1389
chomeur

Post by chomeur »

When I was looking for a Typhoon in the winter of 2011 - 2012, I made a spreadsheet of all that I could find for sale nationwide. I included in the spreadsheet such features as age, trailer, motor, and so forth -- the ones that were important to me. Here's what I found:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/chunua2okug0t ... prices.pdf

As you can see, prices at the time ranged from just under $2,000 to just under $10,000, in other words a huge range. Age of the boat made a small difference in price (about $190 increase per year); a trailer made the biggest difference.

As one data point for you to consider, I ended up paying $3500 for a 1975 Typhoon in good condition but certainly not in the ball park of your boat. I then paid $2000 for an almost new Triad trailer. So $5500 total compared to your $7800. Your price would have been too high for me but might be fine for someone who prefers a boat they don't need to work on.

If you're looking for sales advice, I'd say you should put more information in your ad: age of boat, what you've restored, state specifically whether the trailer is included, the price you're looking for (not including a price is a mistake in my view), interior shots and so on. Your current craig's list ad is way too minimal.

David
Chomeur: 1975 Cape Dory Typhoon #1037
Robinhood, Georgetown Island, Maine
Jim1945
Location: 1977 CDTy Weekender #1423, Toledo, Ohio. Sailing Lake Erie, CDSOA #1651

Post by Jim1945 »

About month ago I went to Traverse City, MI and bought a 1977 Ty in very, very good condition for $6,000. Main and working jib were in good condition having been run through the Sailcare people in Ford City, Pa. A 130% jib was brand new. CDI roller furler. A Spartan trailer in excellent condition. A 4hp mariner 2 stroke outboard that runs fine. There was a 1974 in Tawas City I was planning to look at on the same trip but I bought the one in Traverse and never actually looked at the one in Tawas but the pictures looked good. Price was $7500 on a trailer, but no motor.

Just FYI for comparison. I would have come down from Toledo to see yours had I thought to look in Columbus craigslist. I agree with others that you need much more info in the ad.
Jeff Nelson

Post by Jeff Nelson »

Thank every one for viewing and those who answered the add. I had lost heart in in the whole ordeal. I finished the boat for someone said they would take her, they backed out just as soon as I was finished. After that there is an unbelievable amount game playing add responders from Craigslist to sift through, I have stopped opening or responding to there adds. There has been a few legitimate responses. The work took two years, you see results with everything you do, but the year trying to sell ,well. My adds lack of words shows my distaste for the selling. So I will leave her for sale till spring, reword the adds posted, price is negotiable. In the spring I give her a name HARD SELL seams to fit and we will go sailing. Thanks again every one
NevisTyphoon
Hull # 47

Post by NevisTyphoon »

I would second the notion on advertising to a much greater area. Your Ty is absolutely gorgeous, reflecting a lot of work and care. I collect British sports cars, and think nothing of buying cars from the opposite coast or Canada. You probably won't get what it's worth selling locally, but may be surprised how far someone is willing to drive to pick this up. I would advertise in the spring in as many of the national web sites as I could muster, as well as ebay just under a "buy it now" price. I restored a Typhoon in the West Indies about 5 years ago, and while it was a labor of love, it was a lot of work and cost about $6,000 not counting the cost of the boat. If here in VA I lived anywhere near the water I would be driving up right now to buy the boat from you. Good luck in the spring!
Chris Thompson
Nevis, West Indies

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it-but sail we must, and not drift, nor lie at anchor
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jeff:

Two thoughts:

1. I would make sure you "move up" your ad on this website at least 1x month. Just type in "bump" and click "Send". This will make sure your ad does not get lost in all the other ads.

2. FWIW, I would stay away from Craigs List and eBay, etc. They are generally not frequented by folks looking for a classic 35 year old sailboat.

Try: Sailing Texas; http://www.sailingtexas.com/cboats.html
Not sure why it is called "sailing texas" because it has boats for sale nationwide.

http://www.boattrader.com/search/

Boats.com; http://www.boats.com/boats/search

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/

I think the above are free sites that you can post on as the owner.

If you want to use a broker, he or she will/can list on:

http://www.yachtworld.com/

Good luck and best wishes :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:FWIW, I would stay away from Craigs List and eBay, etc. They are generally not frequented by folks looking for a classic 35 year old sailboat.
I would not rule out ebay or craigslist. When I was looking for a CD22, I checked those sites regularly and had an automated search for Cape Dory.

And on a somewhat related note, there is a seller on ebay who has Cape Dory t-shirts with the CD half hull logo on the front and a line drawing of any model on the back for $15. Make a nice Christmas present.

You can find him at http://www.ebay.com/usr/artcar68

I bought one and it arrived in 2 days - good quality shirt.
CDSOA Member 1389