Work...then sailing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

fenixrises

Work...then sailing

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

It has been some time since I've had much to report. So now time for an update. My last big
sail was returning from Subic in January. Not much of a sail since there wasn't much wind.
That is except for one night, the night I blew out the mainsail.

When I returned to Carmen I had a long list of things to do. Many have been accomplished.
Priority was new sails. I contacted the local Hyde rep and ordered five new sails. A main,
genny, drifter, yankee and staysail. While the sails finally were done sort of close to my
exacting requirements and specifications, I must say I was not happy with the sailmaker.

I did a short, one week, local sail to check them out. All worked OK. Then it was time to
repaint the bottom. That was done in two days and was easy enough. The copper powder that I
found available locally has worked out very well. I added about 3/4 kilo per gallon of paint.

Now after six months in warm very prolific water I just cleaned the bottom for the first
time. It was quite easy.

I had another large project in mind but put that off until I returned from my trip stateside
in June. Before the trip I started to paint the interior. This covered much of the teak
veneer plywood and brightened up the inside of the boat a lot. I varnished the teak trim.
This job is about half done. To add to the improvement in appearance my sweety also made new
covers for the cabin cushions.

After my return I tackled the really big job. This intailed removing much of the aft cabin
interior. I did this so I could install new fuel tanks, relocate the aft water tank and raise
the level of the bunk top so I could use a larger matress placed athwartship. This job took
near two months with a lot of time spent running around looking for materials to do the job.

I also got two new self-tailing winches for the halyards. They were a great deal as my friend
Tim bought a large quantity for three new cats that were being built to his design. The
winches are SS Andersons manufactures in OZ. I paid less than half the retail price for each.

Numerous other small projects filled in the slow times. One of these was to replace the
batteries. The old ones were 42 months old and the engine start over four years old.

Now what?

Time to go sailing again my friends. I know that many of you are winterizing. The big change
in season here is the switch from SW monsoon to NE monsoon. This generally happens in October
and true to form the NE winds have filled in nicely. Only problem is this far south(10*30'N)
the winds start to ease. But there should still be enough to carry me to Borneo and maybe
even Singapore. From there up to Phuket,Thailand(also about 10*30'N) is often light going.

General plan is to head SW to Borneo the west to the end of the Maylay penisula and up to
Thailand. I want to spend the holiday in Phuket then come south and go up the east side of
the Malay penisula. Somewhere I have not yet been. As the season progresses the wind will
shift again to SW monsoon. Then it is time to ride back to the Fils.

In any case it will be good to go sailing again. I plan to return to the Fils sometime next spring.

Take care,
Fred
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
fenixrises

Re: Work...then sailing

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

As you may have heard from the news the central Philippine was hit by a big typhoon, Yolanda. Much death and damage. Sunshine and I left Carmen a few days before the storm hit. We went to Bonbonon, on the south end of Negroes Island.

On my birthday, the 8th the storm hit. Since we were so far south we only had a day of gusty wind, maybe up around 40+ knots but Bonbonon Bay is quite well protected and secure.

Now in Puerto Princesa, Palawan Island. Leave tomorrow for Kudat, Malaysia. That's on the island of Borneo.

Take care,
Fred
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Phew. I am so glad that you weren't caught up in that storm. Many were deeply concerned for your safety.

Best regards,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Oswego John wrote:Phew. I am so glad that you weren't caught up in that storm. Many were deeply concerned for your safety.

Best regards,
O J
+1+
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

I am moving the continuation of this thread to Cruisers Corner.

I have been making updates to the web site. Should be able to find them here.

http://www.sbastro.com/SunShine/Journey2013New.html

Take care and keep warm,
Fred