CD Typhoon Boat Covers

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

CD Typhoon Boat Covers

Post by Skeep »

After having searched the Forum for this and not finding it, please advise me if I'm repeating the topic and I'll delete this post.

However, would like some general referrals for the folks any of you all have had experience with in providing a full-typhoon cover.

As many of you, I have my Ty on a trailer collecting debris which contributes to quite a bit of clean-up before every sail. Want to protect my brightwork and keep her clean. Please advise.

PS: No worry, referrals will not be considered endorsement--simply don't want to reinvent the wheel in trying to find what you experts have deemed good companies who produce the 18.5 Dory cover.

Save my bitty yacht from debris please!

Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Re: CD Typhoon Boat Covers

Post by mashenden »

I hate to see this go unanswered. It seems there would be a market for these.

I started a cover for my Ty several years back that got about 75% finished, then I lost my job so I downsized the fleet. It sold with the boat. While I never finished it, I suspect it would have been very effective at both keeping stuff out and keeping the brightwork bright. It was a boom tent style cover made from Sunbrella that wrapped around the mast similarly to a main cover, and attached to hooks under the rubrail along each side.

I'll need to make one for my Ty Daysailer sometime in the not too distant future, but that is of no help to you now. Sorry for offering nothing more significant than a bump to the top.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Thanks for the reminder Matt, I'd almost forgotten about the post myself. I've been off in France for a bit and now back.

I've noticed there is much aversion amongst this group to reinvention, thus my question. I do appreciate the answer. Perhaps someone else has additional clarity on the issue?
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Appleton68

Post by Appleton68 »

Try Ocean Tailors, Orleans, MA, www.oceantailors.com, 508-255-5666.
Greg
NevisTyphoon
Hull # 47

Post by NevisTyphoon »

It's really not rocket surgery. I just got a local upholstery shop to come pay a visit to the Typhoon while she was on the trailer and in just a few days time they had made a sunbrella boom tent for me that keeps the debris out and protects the brightwork when she's on the hard, and keeps the rain out and protects the brightwork when she's on the mooring. You'll do even better if you can pull the trailer into their parking lot.
Chris Thompson
Nevis, West Indies

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it-but sail we must, and not drift, nor lie at anchor
Oliver Wendell Holmes