Cruising the San Juans again

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

David Patterson

Re: Cruising the San Juans again

Post by David Patterson »

Another morning in Fisherman Bay, Lopez Island. In the foreground (fore-water?) is a loving and craftsman-like restoration of a 30' Albin Vega. The Canadian man who restored her sews his own canvas and sails, as well, having the sails cut professionally first. A superb boat. He found her five years into storage in the woods of Gabriola Island of the Canadian Gulf Islands, hatch open to the rains, full of moss and stagnate water. An inspiring story. The Albin Vega Rendezvous was one of the draws that brought me here again. I don't want my brand loyalty to limit me from enjoying other great boats. Cape Dory owners in the NW have no rendezvous, that I know of. CDs tend to rendezvous with the local Alberg designed boats, if at all. The photo's lighting isn't too clear, but every line of the boat bespeaks its Folkboat heritage. Swedish, right? A work of art now. Homemade dinghy forward.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (296.13 KiB) Viewed 759 times
David Patterson

A 30+ meter gaff-rigged topsail schooner, ADVENTURESS, anchored at the mouth of Friday Harbor, waiting to take on passengers for a sunset cruise, probably. Traditional baggywrinkle can be seen in her rigging. Long and low hull. How much canvas she could fly!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (350.48 KiB) Viewed 739 times
David Patterson

A highly unusual Port Townsend (a center for building in wood) boat fires up its solid fuel heating stove on a misty mid-September morning in the San Juans. Probably owner-built of plywood and epoxy, naming this innovative design may be difficult. An outrigger? Catamaran? Two-thirds of a trimaran? I suspect the protrusion to port is a berth, but I don't know. Center cockpit, apparently before the mast of a sloop rig. They headed out into a deepening fog before I could row over. For those who are intrigued by marine ingenuity, cruising can be a feast for the eyes. A grainy photo due to mist and distance.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (362.7 KiB) Viewed 732 times
rorik

Post by rorik »

Is it just me, or is the starboard side ama hauled out of the water and snugged up to the rub rail?
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
David Patterson

A truly unusual boat. There is no starboard ama. I think that is a berth. I so regret not getting over to her while she was at anchor. Next year in Port Townsend I'll try to find her. One ama, the port one, by design. Wild, right?
Last edited by David Patterson on Sep 16th, '13, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
rorik

Post by rorik »

I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
David Patterson

Bookends. The day is split about in half right now. A sunrise and a moonrise, both over San Juan Channel, are pictured. A beautiful scene is often the mundane, paid special attention to, or only one that happened somewhere else, far away, just as sometimes an "expert" can be defined as "someone from out of town with a slideshow." When cruising on my little Cape Dory, no scene seems to repeat. It all strikes me as fresh, and beautiful. The full moon is rising over the high tide at a stand, the current slack, a ferry receding in the distance. I've read that the relative size of the moon, as seen, is roughly the same as holding a pencil at arm's length, erasure toward your eye. Same size as the moon in the sky. Try it. Lovely aquamarine color in the dusk.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 713 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.86 MiB) Viewed 713 times
David Patterson

David Patterson wrote:A highly unusual Port Townsend (a center for building in wood) boat fires up its solid fuel heating stove on a misty mid-September morning in the San Juans. Probably owner-built of plywood and epoxy, naming this innovative design may be difficult. An outrigger? Catamaran? Two-thirds of a trimaran? I suspect the protrusion to starboard is a berth, but I don't know. Center cockpit, apparently before the mast of a sloop rig. They headed out into a deepening fog before I could row over. For those who are intrigued by marine ingenuity, cruising can be a feast for the eyes. A grainy photo due to mist and distance.
David Patterson

The first day of autumn is a chance for a full-time cruiser to look at using the interior of the boat. Carl Alberg's designs don't make us suffer under Uffa Fox's dictum. ("If you want to stand up, go on deck."). Yet comfort in the cabin means accomodating seating. This photo shows my "armchair" aboard CLOUD GIRL. An idea from one of the Pardey's videos, the bolsters hold, respectively, a pillow and light blanket, and two sheets plus a heavier blanket. Another bolster on the port (footwell) berth holds a sleeping bag for a guest aboard. The extensively modified interior of my 25D lacked likable cushion coverings, having worn '80s fabric. I've never regreted the cost, even in my parsimonious stance. The fabric I chose, for looks, was too thin. The upholster added a dacron backing. But it was a perfect weight for bolsters. The bolsters are 18" length by 10" diameter, dimensions I chose by luck. Perhaps I should have changed the foam in the cushion as well, for you can see it is compressed. But, I've spent much easy time seated here, journaling and reading, conversing and passage planning. Especially in the fog, when, as Joseph Conrad describes it, a great recrudescence of obscurity grips the boat.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 699 times
Last edited by David Patterson on Sep 21st, '13, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

David Patterson wrote: The extensively modified interior of my 25D lacked likable cushion coverings, having worn '80s fabric. I've never regreted the cost, even in my parsimonious stance. The fabric I chose for looks was too thin. The upholster added a dacron backing. But it was a perfect weight for bolsters. The bolsters are 18" length by 10" diameter, dimensions I chose by luck. Perhaps I should have changed the foam in the cushion as well, for you can see it is compressed. But, I've spent much easy time seated here, journaling and reading, conversing and passage planning. Especially in the fog, when, as Joseph Conrad describes it, a great recrudescence of obscurity grips the boat.
Very nice. I'd love to see some more pictures of the interior. I am envious of that bookshelf. I'd love to have that on our 27.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
David Patterson

I'd be glad to, Tim. Next time I'm anchored near Friday Harbor, I'll get on the net with my laptop and excavate some photos. Right now the cruising clutter isn't really photogenic. The interior work was done by a prior owner when CLOUD GIRL went by FROM NOW ON. You might be able to find his postings. Don't know. If I keep this boat I guess I'll be the one who re-does the exterior. Bill-in-OK re-called hearing something about her. I'm grateful for her livability, of course.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Here are some shots from the archives Tim.

Fair Winds to all

http://s757.photobucket.com/user/bvjans ... Dory%2025D
Bill Member #250.
David Patterson

Livability for a long term cruiser can seem as important as seaworthiness or weatherliness (strong characteristics of the Alberg designs), because the boat is "home." CLOUD GIRL has a tell tale compass by Ritchie that I mounted on the starboard forward bulkhead, where the ship's clock, barometer, and guitar are mounted. For its light, I tapped into the cabin lights circuit, under the vanity, where a superfluous electric pump was. I don't use it to supervise the helmsman's course, since "he is me." I do look at it multiple times per day and evening to monitor wind direction and the boat's swing. The fact that the card is reversed, as with a kayak compass, makes for quick use. No doubt there are better looking ones to be found. I've grown fond of this one. An informative companion instrument. A mount for your handheld compass would work well too, as most cruisers know. I prefer a hockey puck type hand compass, though, for anchor bearings (when I do them) and coastal navigation in unfamiliar waters. Two photos. One in which you might be able to discern the light. My analogue thermometer isn't working properly. It's not really 90* aboard. And, no, I don't have a guitar amplifier on board. I had to draw the line somewhere!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 671 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 671 times
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Good morning David

Do you sleep to port or do you remove the guitar when hitting the sack?

fair winds
Bill Member #250.
David Patterson

Very pertinent concern. I'm short and love the ship's guitar. When I have a guest aboard, they get the port berth, and I manage fine with the guitar at the end of the starboard berth. I'm aware when my feet push on it and just shift position. Alone aboard, as is typical, I dismount it from the hanger, which along with the surgical-tubing keeper, holds it in place in extremely rough conditions (I've found out!). The guitar spends the night on the port berth, padded in with jackets. Then i have all the room i need for restless dreams. When mounted, I put a piece of closed cell foam behind it to prevent any wear. There is a drawer behind it that runs under the head vanity, by the way. Mostly it holds my fastener collection and some engine spares. Stuff I don't use often.