anchor windlass

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Vincent

anchor windlass

Post by Vincent »

Does anyone have any experience with mechanical anchor windlass's? I am considering a CD33 and want to keep my electrical demands to a minimum. I do not see many mechanical options out there. I would prefer a long crank handle operated standing up, rather than a sheet winch style kneeling on the deck. Any advice would be appreciated.
Russell

Re: anchor windlass

Post by Russell »

Vincent wrote:Does anyone have any experience with mechanical anchor windlass's? I am considering a CD33 and want to keep my electrical demands to a minimum. I do not see many mechanical options out there. I would prefer a long crank handle operated standing up, rather than a sheet winch style kneeling on the deck. Any advice would be appreciated.
ABI used to make a nice bronze one, they unfortunately went out of buisness. The Lofrans manual windlass is nice though, even if not as pretty as the bronze ones. It has an anodized finish rather then the white powder coating that most have which tends to fail eventually. http://www.imtra.com/ddbc629c-64bb-4283 ... detail.htm
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
rorik

Post by rorik »

If you find a used Simpson Lawrence manual windlass, you can buy parts here:

http://www.slspares.co.uk/

Or, you could even build a completely new one from their parts list. Their service is very good.

These guys make some very nice manual windlasses

http://www.rcplathco.com/products/marine_parts.html

Or, you could order some really cool looking stuff from here:

http://www.toplicht.de/en/shop/anker-un ... ankerwinde

This site is in German, so click on the UK flag icon for English.

There are others, but that'll get you started....
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
paul marko

Post by paul marko »

Rorik, I am interested if you have an anchor windless on your C/D 28? What kind and how much chain are you lifting?

I carry 110 feet hi test chain 1/4" and am wondering if its worth the expense of a windless. I was thinking about a Manual S/L 510 used if I could find one,

Paul marko

C/D 28 ixcatl
rorik

Post by rorik »

Paul,
I found a Simpson Lawrence Hyspeed 510 at a local swap meet for $25. Seller said something along the lines of "It works, kind of....". Spent another $400 on parts from slparts in the UK and a full day to rebuild it from scratch.. The only thing really wrong with the Hyspeed was that the master links on the chains inside had broken - probably from the accumulation of dirt and salt due to a lack of grease or oil followed by excessive force when it didn't turn smoothly.

I have two matching rodes; 75' of 5/16" G43 on 200' of 1/2" nylon 3 strand. One is attached to a 10kg Rocna.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
tmsc

Post by tmsc »

I have a Simpson Lawrence Hyspeed 510 on my 33. Found it on Ebay for a decent price. Took it apart, cleaned, serviced and painted it. It has been working fine for about 4 years. I like the fact that some of the parts can be obtained from a good bike shop.
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Lee... how did you install an anchor windlass on your 33? Can you post a picture ? Did you take apart the anchor well in the bow? How did you reinforce that entire bow area so it could withstand the pull of the windlass without coming apart? What modifications, if any, did you make to get the rode stowed below? Very interested. Thanks.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
tmsc

Post by tmsc »

Zeida,

The anchor locker hatch did not appear to be strong enough to me and I did not want to modify it. I also wanted to still be able to open it easily, so I mounted it just aft of the locker opening and backed it with a nice large varnished Teak backing plate which is visible in the V-berth. As mounted a chain/line stripper cannot be used so when bring in the rode I have to be careful that the line doesn't wrap back on itself. I just feed it into the locker by hand. When the chain starts though gravity just pulls it in. I knew the line part would be an issue, but I plan on going to predominantly chain anyway, so it did not matter to me. However, so far it has not been all that big of a deal, I carry 100 ft of 5/16 HT chain on the primary and that is what I normally use anyway. It is still a work in progress. The next stage is to fashion some kind of chafe guard so the chain doesn't wear the deck and lip to the locker when it goes in. I am swamped with work right now but if you will send me your email in a PM, I will send you some pics when I can.
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee
tmsc

Post by tmsc »

Zeida,

The anchor locker hatch did not appear to be strong enough to me and I did not want to modify it. I also wanted to still be able to open it easily, so I mounted it just aft of the locker opening and backed it with a nice large varnished Teak backing plate which is visible in the V-berth. As mounted a chain/line stripper cannot be used so when bring in the rode I have to be careful that the line doesn't wrap back on itself. I just feed it into the locker by hand. When the chain starts though gravity just pulls it in. I knew the line part would be an issue, but I plan on going to predominantly chain anyway, so it did not matter to me. However, so far it has not been all that big of a deal, I carry 100 ft of 5/16 HT chain on the primary and that is what I normally use anyway. It is still a work in progress. The next stage is to fashion some kind of chafe guard so the chain doesn't wear the deck and lip to the locker when it goes in. I am swamped with work right now but if you will send me your email in a PM, I will send you some pics when I can.
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee