Cape Dory 31 cutter- comments on sailing performance

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

lmp

Cape Dory 31 cutter- comments on sailing performance

Post by lmp »

Hi! My husband and I just put an offer on a Cape Dory 31. He's not able to make the sea trial. I've been doing some research online and saw a negative (but not specific) comment about the 30s sailing better than the 31s. We prefer the layout of the 31, and are looking for a cruiser (not a racer/cruiser) but also want a boat that is a pleasure to sail. Any 31 sailors able to comment? This is time-sensitive since we need to accept the boat in the coming day or two...
Many thanks!
Russell

Re: Cape Dory 31 cutter- comments on sailing performance

Post by Russell »

lmp wrote:Hi! My husband and I just put an offer on a Cape Dory 31. He's not able to make the sea trial. I've been doing some research online and saw a negative (but not specific) comment about the 30s sailing better than the 31s. We prefer the layout of the 31, and are looking for a cruiser (not a racer/cruiser) but also want a boat that is a pleasure to sail. Any 31 sailors able to comment? This is time-sensitive since we need to accept the boat in the coming day or two...
Many thanks!
Any difference is going to be so minor that I doubt it would matter to anyone but the snobbiest racer (in which case they wouldnt be buying any Cape Dory). The 31' is a bit beamer, which might suggest slightly poorer performance then the 30, but its also deeper draft which might suggest better performance. The 31 also has more sail area.

I would suggest the person who said the 30 is better then the 31 is someone who owns the 30 and suffers from the "the boat I currently own is superior" complex.

Of the two, personally I would prefer the 31 any day. Heck the galley in the 31 alone is enough to make up my mind on that.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

I currently own a 31, and previously owned a 30. My experience has been that the 31 sails better, without question. It balances out better, is marginally faster, and not as wet a cockpit in rough conditions. As Russell points out though, the biggest difference between the 30 and 31 is in the creature comforts. Much more volume below decks, well laid out galley, and the huge aft head.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
lmp

Post by lmp »

Dear Russell and Skip,
Thanks so much for your quick replies. We had just looked at a 30 and felt like it was a little short on space, went home and said... if only there were a wider beam so that there could be hanging lockers, better storage and a better laid out galley and head... then I did a search and found the 31, answering all these wishes.

I'm excited about this boat and looking forward to being in this fleet! We will keep the boat in Sippican Harbor, Marion, MA.

Cheers,
Lauren Maher Patrick
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I have crewed on a friend's CD31 and I have owned a CD30. The 30 may have a marginally better PHRF rating (full disclosure - I have not actually looked it up), but there is simply no comparison below-decks. I loved my CD30, but I hated the traffic flow pattern in the cabin. The cabin sole is narrow, and it's one-way traffic. With two or more people on-board, you are constantly in each other's way when moving fore-and-aft.

You will love the CD31. I'm envious. It's actually my dream boat. I really do not understand why Cape Dory did not repeat the head placement of the CD31 with any of their other boats.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Carl Thunberg wrote: The 30 may have a marginally better PHRF rating (full disclosure - I have not actually looked it up),

CAPE DORY 30 CUTTER 207
CAPE DORY 31 198
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

Post by CruiseAlong »

A similar question concerning the article comparing the CD30 to the "CD31" came up a couple of years ago. What many do not know is..... there were two different 31 foot Cape Dory sailboats. The company which bought out Cape Dory Yachts (Newport Shipyard, NY) had a Cape Dory 310 "Contemporary 310" sailboat (also a 31 footer) which is totally different from the Cape Dory 31 (Alberg). I actually have a brochure on that boat. The CD310 was the boat the couple in the article was comparing to the CD30. Fom your description, your offer is on the CD31. Having owned one since 2008 I think you find it to be a very fine sailing boat and easy to handle.
Dana
Russell

Post by Russell »

CruiseAlong wrote:A similar question concerning the article comparing the CD30 to the "CD31" came up a couple of years ago. What many do not know is..... there were two different 31 foot Cape Dory sailboats. The company which bought out Cape Dory Yachts (Newport Shipyard, NY) had a Cape Dory 310 "Contemporary 310" sailboat (also a 31 footer) which is totally different from the Cape Dory 31 (Alberg). I actually have a brochure on that boat. The CD310 was the boat the couple in the article was comparing to the CD30. Fom your description, your offer is on the CD31. Having owned one since 2008 I think you find it to be a very fine sailing boat and easy to handle.
Dana
Wow, thats the first i have heard of such a beast as a CD310, any ideas on how many Newport Shipyards built?
Russell
Russell

Post by Russell »

Oh I found the brocure on it, the 310 is just a CD30mk2 with its name changed. Yeah, very different boat from any other Cape Dorys.
Russell
Jim Cornwell

Post by Jim Cornwell »

I just love my 31! We've owned Yankee since 2007 and no symptoms of "two-foot-itis" have been detected. Improvements needed? Yes, of course. Serious shortcomings? None. Go for a boat ride, if you can. Jim.
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

I love my CD31. I owned a CD30K for a short time and I am glad I had the chance to buy the 31. The CD31 has more water storage (about 80 gallons) keel stepped mast, aft head etc. I have single handed mine across the Gulf of Mexico a couple of times and find it to be an easy boat to handle. I have also followed a CD30 in the ICW for two day and found that when motoring the Kubota in the CD31 will out run the CD30 hands down. Oh yea my 31 has won its class in the Harvest Moon offshore race several time under its old owner. As for me I am not so lucky.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Post by Phil Shedd »

I also own a CD31. I have had it for 10 years. The way it sails is one of the thing I love about her. I sail in a river system but get out into the ocean around Maine and New Brunswick as often as I can . You got to like the green water.

A great cruising boat and I don't worry about lobster pots to much.
The extra room is great.

Phil
wsonntag
SURPRISE
Georgetown Maryland
Member Since 2005

Post by wsonntag »

First, I'm sorry you were miss-informed by the long latency of some very bad information posted on or linked to this site many years ago. I provided some response to that article over 15 years ago as did others, yet the unfounded, somewhat confused criticism still hangs on here - too bad, pay it no heed!

I think you have received a great deal of good advice and feedback, you will enjoy sailing your CD31. I have owned my beloved Surprise now for 17 seasons. I never turn away from her without a last look to appreciate her grace and fine lines at the dock or on mooring. I had her on the hard at a prestigious maintenance yard on the Chesapeake a few years ago. The staff there, very used to working on fine yachts, told me one day without prompting that everyone walking the yard had been commenting, praising the fine prospect of this boat sitting on her jackstands awaiting re-launch.

The CD31 was the Cape Dory model among all the closely arrayed sizes of Cape Dory models made at or about that time (1984, CD 28, 30, 31, 33) that came with all the goodies associated with a fine near-shore, off-shore cruising boat. Just a few features: deck stepped mast; full shore power; hot/cold pressure water; that then progressive interior layout with aft head etc. I believe she was in fact the priciest model of similar size in the CD production fleet.

Her Carl Alberg design makes for a very sea kindly boat, she sails extremely well. Like many of his designs, they like to heel over, take a set with the rail well down and really begin to scoot. She is particularly fast on a close reach, footing just a bit off the wind. I use a downwind, reaching sail quite a bit, make sure you set her up with a gennaker, asymmetrical spinnaker to get her moving in light air. Also, I sold the 130% genoa, replaced with a 110%. I like to sail with the working jib along with the genoa. Performs well, helps make the genoa go around the jib stay and looks good in my opinion. For now, I would say that she likes a single reef in the main early, but I have just received a new North Sails main (still, in the box shipped from China - and I did ask about working conditions for the sail production staff), I'm really looking forward to seeing how it improves performance. I'm hoping its flatter profile will help move the CE forward a bit, reduce weather helm especially on a beat, power her up without an early reef perhaps.

I'm happy to share any other experiences that might be helpful, please let me know.

Wm Sonntag
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Squid

Post by Squid »

Two seasons ago I went through a similar thought process. Not to venture off towards the sacrilegious disclaimer inserted here. I would have loved any CD as I have always admired their quality of construction and sea worthiness. As mentioned, I was also looking for a bit more internal space I also looked at the CD 30 MK II (10.5 ft beam vice 9 ft) also not an Alberg design but designed by Clive Dent (the sacrilegious reference applies here). As with some larger boats it has a full u-shaped galley and a proper head. I have had many marina neighbors marvel at the layout of this 30 footer. These items were part of my requirements as I wanted something more for off-shore cruising. I very much enjoy the boat and have no complaints not that anyone would admit to a complaint anyway. Unfortunately they only built 31 so they are not as easy to locate. I don't think there is anyway possible you would be disappointed with the CD31. I indeed understand the constant desire to peer back upon her as I depart each voyage, my sweetheart (wife) knows full well I have a mistress and she floats. Best of luck with your acquisition of a CD 31.
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487