Sunbrella material for cabin cushions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Sunbrella material for cabin cushions

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I am thinking of redoing the cabin cushion covers. To my knowledge what I have are the original cushion covers (31 years old). They are in good condition but I am being told I should "spruce up" the cabin a little.

The other day I was talking with a female liveaboard sailor who does artistic painting of sailboat names, etc. on hulls. During our conversation she mentioned that she was also a seamstress. I told her I was going to recover the cabin cushions with Sunbrella and asked if she would be interested in quoting me a price. She then told me something that I had not heard before. She said that it is frequently uncomfortable for ladies to lay down on Sunbrella material after they have done their periodic removal of unwanted leg hair. She said that after 1-2 (or a few) days her legs would itch from stubble catching on the Sunbrella material.

I admit this is a pretty strange post but thought I would post the topic before I spend the money to recover with Sunbrella and "the Admiral" becomes none too pleased with my selection. :roll:

I assume I will receive responses mostly from the distaff side of this board, although I am guessing my good friend OJ may well have a serious, thoughtful comment or two or an observation about this post. :D :D :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Russell

Re: Sunbrella material for cabin cushions

Post by Russell »

Sunbrella isnt just "canvas", its a whole range of fabric. She is probably talking about the exterior marine canvas product (and yeah, I have seen people use that stuff for seats, yuck). There are hundreds of interior upholstery fabrics under the sunbrella name with an entirely different texture. The exterior canvas would indeed be a bit rough to sit on, you want more comfort inside the boat. Why use "sunbrella" inside rather then any old fabric? even the interior stuff is treated with waterproofing and mildew resistance, but has a much softer texture, and comes in a wide variety of patterns. It is pricy, but compared to other high end fabrics, it really isnt more expensive (think buying fabric at Calico Corners rather then Jo Anns fabrics). Its all still acrylic, rather then cotton or polyester, which makes it more stain resistant and water proof as well, the texture differences come from different weaves, exterior is a very dense and tight weave and more heavily treated with waterproofing. Check out the Sunbrella website for photos of their upholstery fabric, go to your local high end fabric store to look at the a swatch book in person (sunbrella isnt just boats, a good fabric store sells it too).
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

Have used "Sunbrella" type fabric on all my boats. Recommend it. Probably last forever inside the boat.

If you don't like the feel or you want to change the appearance cover it with single bed-fitted sheets or get some nice cotton/polyester fabric and make your own(what I did on SunShine).

Take care,
Fred
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Visit Sailrite for a look at what's available. I recommend this 'Sunbrella' http://search.sailrite.com/category/mar ... ertex-mesh

In all my years of sitting inside my sailboat I've never sat on the cushion material. I ALWAYS spread out a large beach towel. That way when I spill or am damp, it's not a problem. Seraph's original 1984 cushion coverings are absolutely perfect, as they should be, since they are covered with fitted slip covers, and then I place a towel down.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Troy Scott

Post by Troy Scott »

I like the idea of a fairly heavy ultra suede, which can be removed periodically for cleaning.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Steve Darwin

Post by Steve Darwin »

The bottom sides of my (original) cushions are covered in a tan-colored plastic material. This makes sense, I guess, since none of the cushions is reversible. When people recover or replace their cabin cushions, do they use a waterproof covering on the cussion underside, or do they just use the same fabric all around? I'm curious to know.

I can't say that I'm in love with the original tan (acetate?) covers that came from the Cape Dory cushion factory, but they do hide dirt pretty well, hold up to wear, and don't dominate the cabin decor (purple plaid, anyone?). But all good things must eventually wear out, and one must think ahead, or rather think back to a restored yacht in the collection of the Herresoff Marine Museum in Bristol, RI, where the setee cushions are covered in a midnight blue, plush wide-wale corduroy. Tres elegant, IMHO, though probably expensive.
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
Russell

Post by Russell »

Steve Darwin wrote:The bottom sides of my (original) cushions are covered in a tan-colored plastic material. This makes sense, I guess, since none of the cushions is reversible. When people recover or replace their cabin cushions, do they use a waterproof covering on the cussion underside, or do they just use the same fabric all around? I'm curious to know.
Its actually best to use a mesh material, so the cushion can drain out any moisture that gets trapped in.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Post by sgbernd »

I used Sunbrella (ordered from Sailrite) on all my interior cushions with the logic that it would not mildew and smell sour like the original fabric did. It has been fine and so far (10 years) has not had any problem. We always sleep on sheets to keep the cushions clean, so I never noticed that it is a bit rough.

Softer fabrics are available if that is what you like.

-sgb