Tiller replacement question

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Seamonkey

Tiller replacement question

Post by Seamonkey »

I am a new cape dory typhoon owner (yea!) . My tiller is de laminating and afraid that its going to fail. I found a company that supplies replacement tillers.

Here's my question: how do you remove the bolts that hold the tiller into the tilting metal bracket? There are no slots for a screwdriver or other tool. How do you remove this?

I'm attaching couple of photos so you can see what I mean...

Thank you in advance for any insight advice or tips
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 743 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 743 times
bamabratsche

Re: Tiller replacement question

Post by bamabratsche »

I have never tried, but I'm guessing that they're attached with bronze rods that have had their ends peened over flush with the side of the tiller strap. In that case, I would think you'd need to drill out a bit of one end and then drive it out the other with something of a similar or smaller diameter. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in, though.

On an unrelated note, is that a louvered vent behind the tiller in the photos? I have considered doing something like that to increase ventilation/reduce mildew growth, but have been concerned about having a hole in the cockpit that can't be closed if the going gets rough. Do you find that it helps with ventilation?
Seamonkey

Post by Seamonkey »

Thanks that makes perfect sense. I'm going to wait for a but before trying to swap it out in case I get another comment.

As for the louvered panel, it came with the boat and so I can't compare the moisture level without it. The previous owner mentioned that the cabin gets moist but I haven't detected a problem. On the other hand, I'm not trying to sleep on the boat.

Thanks for your advice.
TerBare

Post by TerBare »

You indicated you are using a company that makes replacement tillers, would you please let us know who it is. I have looked at my tiller and have been thinking about replacing it. I am looking for a good company to do the work.
Seamonkey

Post by Seamonkey »

The replacement tiller is available through Rudder Craft: http://www.ruddercraft.com/catalog/prod ... cts_id=378
I have not purchased yet, so can't speak to the quality.
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Dittos on the tiller from here. I'd think it'd have to be tapped out. Talk to Rudder Craft about it though. In that they deal with so many, they probably have the goods on it. Perhaps they might do it for you!

Thanks for that resource too, the Rudder Craft page is a great place--never saw it before.

As for louvers etc, these Typhoons must have had periodic adjustments not only by Cape Dory but by owners with "good ideas." I've not had a moisture problem however.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
bamabratsche

Post by bamabratsche »

Another option would be to call Spartan Marine, who was probably the original manufacturer of the tiller strap, and see if they can tell you how to get it off. I bought new bronze portlights from them, and while pricey, they were very helpful on the phone. Not sure how much a new tiller strap would cost, but that could be worth looking into as well...
Jeff D

Post by Jeff D »

If you get stuck you can try Rig Rite. They still list the assembly that is used on my Typhoon, which is attached with two machine screws.

Tiller Heads
Standard Tiller Heads are listed by the width of the Rudder Head to which they attach.
Bronze Tiller Head for 1 1/4" wide Rudder Head: PP 83-975BT:
Bronze Tiller Head fits over, and attaches to, 1 1/4" wide Rudder Head with 3/8" bolt, and to 1 3/8" wide Tiller using (2) 1/4"-20 FH machine screws. Cast Bronze Tiller Head is 7 7/8" long. As used on a variety of boats including Cape Dory Typhoon (most), and some CD 25's.

My experience with them has either been very good or very bad. I think that it depends on whether the part you need is in stock or needs to be fabricated.