Do typhoons snag lobster buoys?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

chomeur

Do typhoons snag lobster buoys?

Post by chomeur »

This is only my second summer sailing my Typhoon in Maine. But I'm hearing more and more stories from local sailors about snagging lobster buoys. So far, it hasn't happened to me. But I'm wondering whether Typhoons are prone to this problem. It seems like the configuration of rudder and keel on a boat have a big effect on whether they grab pot warp.

What do people think? Has it happened to you? What have you done to prevent it?

David
S/V Chomeur, #1037
Georgetown, ME
Uffda

Re: Do typhoons snag lobster buoys?

Post by Uffda »

The answer is no. I am a lobsterman and a typhoon senior owner. The only problem you might have is with your motor if the prop is in the water.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Re: Do typhoons snag lobster buoys?

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

In general full keel boats are less likely to snag the lobster pot lines. I'd guess the most likely design would be a fin keel with an exposed prop on a strut.

That being said even with my full keel, I still keep a wet suit aboard, just in case and one of those Sailor Solution hook knifes. Having had to go in a couple of times on charters to un-snag a line I like to be prepared.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.