What is a CD 36 Worth in San Francisco?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jerry Kimble

What is a CD 36 Worth in San Francisco?

Post by Jerry Kimble »

Realistically, what is a 1983 CD 36 worth in San Francisco? Assuming many extras, equipped in 1990 for ocean cruising. Consider her to be in good shape, just needs a current GPS navigation system and a new life raft.

Does anyone have any current sales examples?

Any input would be helpful.
Jerry Kimble San Francisco,CA
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Re: What is a CD 36 Worth in San Francisco?

Post by mashenden »

I have been tracking Cape Dory 36 prices pretty closely since 2009 (33 data points, 1982 and newer, pre RH). I can share the spreadsheet with you, if you would like - just PM me your E-mail address.

Interestingly, while the economy has taken a more notable hit, on average the CD-36 has only seen a small decrease over the timeframe that I have been tracking them - maybe 1% decline, total, not per year (keeping in mind my price data is the last known Asking Price, not the Sold Price).

Thats better than some of my stocks have done:)
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

mashenden wrote:I have been tracking Cape Dory 36 prices pretty closely since 2009 (33 data points, 1982 and newer, pre RH). I can share the spreadsheet with you, if you would like - just PM me your E-mail address.

Interestingly, while the economy has taken a more notable hit, on average the CD-36 has only seen a small decrease over the timeframe that I have been tracking them - maybe 1% decline, total, not per year (keeping in mind my price data is the last known Asking Price, not the Sold Price).

Why '82 and newer? Just curious.
Russell

Post by Russell »

West Coast boats tend to sell for a bit more, and areas like SF even more so then places like the Puget Sound. I think if you got some recent sell prices of some east coast CDs and added 10% you would be in roughly the right area price wise. Note that looking at values on yacht world only gives part of the picture, sale prices often are 20 to 30% less then asking price. If you hire a broker they have access to all actual sale prices of brokerage sold boats.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Russell

Post by Russell »

David van den Burgh wrote:
mashenden wrote:I have been tracking Cape Dory 36 prices pretty closely since 2009 (33 data points, 1982 and newer, pre RH). I can share the spreadsheet with you, if you would like - just PM me your E-mail address.

I cant speak for Matt, but I suspect he, like me when I was shopping, was only interested in the newer layout which began in 82.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

Russell wrote:
David van den Burgh wrote:
I cant speak for Matt, but I suspect he, like me when I was shopping, was only interested in the newer layout which began in 82.
Exactly right. I liked the higher end cabinet work, table mounted to the bulkhead, L shaped settee berth, etc. I think these were all changes that came out in the '82/'83 timeframe. I also like the "T" cockpit that came later, but mine is not one of them - no biggie though.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

mashenden

Post by mashenden »

There was a '85 (T cockpit) that sold on the West coast (San Diego if I remember right) about this time last year for about $59K. It started at around $64K. It was nicely equipped as I recall with some rather pricey upgrades. I may have bought it had the price to truck it East (no time then to sail it) not ruined the deal.

Prior to that, the rest I noticed on the West coast were as Russell noted - higher than the East coast ('83 @ $89K, '82 @ $70K, '84 @ $95K)... but I never saw these 3 formally show up as "sold". They just disappeared from wherever they were being advertized - not sure what to make of that.
Matt Ashenden

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jerry:

To get an idea on pricing you can also check various websites that have sailboat listings.

There are a bunch of them including Boats.com, BoatTrader, Sailboat Listings, etc. One of the ones that generally has a lot of photos and detailed descriptions of electronics, sail inventory, etc. is
www.yachtworld.com .

There are 4 Cape Dory 36 sailboats currently listed. 1979, 1983, 1996, 2006 with prices ranging from $49,000 to $199,900.

As I am sure you already know, a lot depends on care and maintenance, upgrades, electronics on board, etc.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jerry Kimble

Post by Jerry Kimble »

My thanks to all for your very helpful input; I will likely be hiring a broker in a few months.
I’m hearing from everywhere/everyone that Yacht World is the place for selling sailboats.
Jerry Kimble San Francisco,CA
mashenden

Post by mashenden »

Jerry Kimble wrote:...I’m hearing from everywhere/everyone that Yacht World is the place for selling sailboats.
I'd say its a good place, but not the only place. This board as well as Craigslist being another places that I have used.
Matt Ashenden

M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Around a million dollars (US).

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where it's hard to part a fool from his money.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Jim Cornwell

Post by Jim Cornwell »

What are the cruising grounds for a CD berthed in SF? And I don't mean Tahiti. Put another way, where do SF cruisers go on a weekend or week-long outing? Jim.
Doug Gibson
'87 CD36 #147
SF Bay, CA

Post by Doug Gibson »

The vast majority of boats day sail and day race in the bay. There are lots of great destinations for an overnight anchor or another marina (Angel Island, SF city front, Sausalito, AT&T Ballpark / McCovey Cove, Oakland Estuary).

What's great about sailing in the bay during a typical summer day is you bash across the gate in a cold/foggy 25-30 knots and then tuck in behind a point or island and feel like your in the balmy med.

Staying in the bay, but venturing further, you can explore the other bays and tributaries.
- Up Petaluma River to Petaluma.
- Up Napa River to Napa (wine country).
- Up the Sacramento/San Joaquin River Delta - thousands of miles of rivers/sloughs to explore. It's fresh water and warm enough to swim in during the summer! Minimum of week needed to explore. Some shallow water - but aground in the mud is part of the Delta experience!

Heading out the Golden Gate: (realistically, probably 5 - 10% of boats ever head out the gate)
- North to Points Reyes / Drakes Bay National Park (a beautiful, remote anchorage with lots of sea life) - 1 full day's sail.
- Further north to Bodega Bay, a secure, primarily commercial fishing harbor - 1/2 day sail from Drakes Bay.
- West out around the Farallon Islands (about 22 miles out the gate). A full days sail to exposed, rugged rocks - but always lots of whales and other sea life. No real anchorage except in dead calm conditions.
- South to Half Moon Bay (1 day sail)
- South to Santa Cruz (2 day sail)
- South to Monterey Bay/Carmel (3 day sail). You can sail non-stop from Golden Gate to Monterey in about 20 to 24 hours.
- Any further south, the harbors/anchorages are pretty scarce until you get to Santa Barbara / Channel Islands.

I've been sailing the bay for 30 years... I've done all the above on a fairly regular basis (we get out the gate about 3 to 4 trips a year) except for heading to Southern California for an extended cruise.. its on the bucket list (along with Mexico and Hawaii !)
Doug Gibson
Jim Cornwell

Post by Jim Cornwell »

Thanks, Doug, for such a complete answer (almost a cruising guide) to a question that many east coast cruising sailors share, I think. Surely, "stuck in the mud" is a sacred ritual that binds together gunkholers in your bay and mine!