LOOKING FOR A USED LUKE STORM ANCHOR 65-75LBS

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

LOOKING FOR A USED LUKE STORM ANCHOR 65-75LBS

Post by John Stone »

We are closing in on completing the rebuild of our Cape Dory 36 Far Reach. As such, there are a few items I need to acquire. For the last few years I have been on the lookout for a used P.E. Luke three piece galvanized storm Anchor from 65-75 lbs. I passed on the only one I ran across as it was bent, rusted, and they wanted too much for it given its condition. I am loath to buy a new one but will if I must. I won't regret the price if I ever have to heave that thing over the side, but a used one in good condition is a good as a new one.

I would be most appreciative if anyone has knowledge of one for sale.

Many thanks.
Klem

Re: LOOKING FOR A USED LUKE STORM ANCHOR 65-75LBS

Post by Klem »

Do you watch the local classifieds and go to events where boater's sell gear locally? I see them come up from time to time around here although I usually don't pay attention to what size they are. If one comes up again, I will try to notify you.

Not to open a can of worms but what do you plan to use this for? Unless you will be anchoring in rock, coral or very heavy kelp, there are more modern anchors that have much better overall performance. My favorite anchor that I have ever used was a 500 lb fisherman that seemed to generate immense holding power and never have problems but in smaller sizes, I would opt for something more modern. We now use one of the roll bar anchors as our storm anchor and it stows better, holds better and sets just as well. Fisherman types anchors are not bad and probably set better than anything else, they just need to be massive to generate any real holding power due to their low blade area.
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

John,

Sent an email with pics to a gmail address I have for you. Another .rr something or other was rejected.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

David,
I sent you an email just now.

Clem, thanks. I have been looking hard for a couple of years. They tend to go fast when they pop up. We have one consignment shop in the area. That's where I found the overpriced and rusted one. I need to get this anchor and get it mounted in the bilge, along with a spare primary, so I can finish painting. Yes, I have a lot of room in my boat down low, plenty in fact, for spare anchors and such. Mo ballast is mo better.

Just as you noted, I don't want to get into a discussion on anchoring. Nothing brings out the hard core opinionators like anchoring . . . and who is to say they are wrong. As a general rule, I am not into much new stuff. I like simple stuff that is reliable and works. I do occasionally incorporate new things when it suits me. To each their own I say.

Thanks.
John
Adam
Location: Herreshoff 30 footer, Marshall 22, Typhoon Weekender

Post by Adam »

The Luke anchor is a near copy of the Herreshoff Yachting anchor. While it is a form of "kedge" or fishermans anchor the Herreshoff/Luke has improvements - snagless flukes, a specific widening angle of entry, and breaks down into two to three parts (depending on size). They have a very good reputation as a "Hurricane" or storm anchor - and many hard core crusiers (especially the temperate zone island hopping ex-patriot types) prefer them over more modern designs - such as plow types.

A far cheaper alternative is to look for a Wilcox & Crittenden version - which are also near copies of the type - and can be found used from time to time on E-Bay in the 100lb and less sizes. I carry a WC 50lb'er as my storm anchor on some of my boats.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

If you are looking for a storm anchor that will store easy in parts look at the new Mantus anchors that bolt together. It's very similar in deign to the Rocnas and Manson Supreme anchors. It will have far more holding power than a fisherman style anchor.

http://mantusanchors.com/
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Joe
Thanks for your input.
NateHanson

Post by NateHanson »

http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/3961432923.html

Probably too small for you, but thought I'd post it anyways.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Nate,
Thank you for taking the time to post the sale of the anchor. You are right--too small and I am looking for a three piece so I can stow below the cabin sole as a storm anchor. I found one at an online consignment shop the other day. It was perfect. A 65lb Luke. Great shape. The price was right too. But, unfortunately they sold it last year and forgot to remove the listing!! Tough luck for me! Hahahaha. I have a little time. I'll keep looking and I sure appreciate the help. There is one out there somewhere with our name on it.

John