Need Marina/Boat Club Recommendations in MA/RI

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

GrFa
Stony Point, NY

Need Marina/Boat Club Recommendations in MA/RI

Post by GrFa »

Hello everyone!

It's been a long time since I have posted. There hasn't been much happening with us and our CD. I'll skip right to the good part. Our CD28 s/v Driven was put in the water last year and the year before. Last year she never made it out of her slip once, and only twice the year before. This year she is on the hard. Her current skipper (my father) approached me yesterday and told me that she is mine if I want her. He has never taken her out on his own and it is tough for me to get the 3-4 hrs south where she is currently kept.

So I need to find a place for her up in the RI or MA. I am currently living in Waltham (10 miles west of Boston), working in Salem (could change at any time), and have future in-laws in Middletown, RI. We plan to move to Middletown/Porstmouth/Newport within the next few years. So I need some recommendations for a good boat club or marina somewhere in between. I have a pretty hectic work schedule so even though somewhere on the south shore or RI is a farther drive it opens up a lot of close (36 hr) cruising area (Cape, Islands, Block Island, Long Island...) versus being up north closer to Boston. However, the closer to home the easier to skip out for a quick evening/afternoon/day off sail. I will usually only have an afternoon or a day off at a time, never an entire weekend.

I am open to moorings or docks or floats, budget is of course important as well. And seeing as I live in an apartment availability of winter storage nearby is also necessary.

Please let me know about your clubs and how you like them! Thanks

Greg
Greg Falk
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Need Marina/Boat Club Recommendations in MA/RI

Post by Neil Gordon »

I'm happy to chat about Marina Bay in Quincy and sailing from Boston Harbor in general... I've been there 15 years and have pretty much figured out the pluses and minuses.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I live in Belmont, MA and I have used the Mattapoisett Boat Yard for years. From Belmont it is a 75 minute drive and it opens up the entire Buzzards Bay Sailing area. Close enough to go to for a Sunday afternoon if that is your inclination. Good mooring field, good service, good launch service, accommodating to DIY types, not "tony".

David Kaiser is the Manager - I have been a client for 20 + years.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
GrFa
Stony Point, NY

Post by GrFa »

Thanks for the suggestions. Mattapoiset looks nice and affordable for what it is, essentially just a mooring rental with some facilities and not necessarily a club. Marina Bay is obviously your full service in water marina. I will say that I think it is easier for me to single hand off of a mooring rather than from a dock. We all know how well this full keeled dories handle in tight quarters. Even with two people assisting it is still a pain to get her in and out of her current slip.

What are the costs of summer and winter storage in Mattapoisett and Marina Bay? Definitely would be two different cruising areas.
Greg Falk
Adam
Location: Herreshoff 30 footer, Marshall 22, Typhoon Weekender

Post by Adam »

You really have two basic Sailing locations for the area your thinking of moving to - Buzzards Bay and Narragansett Bay.

Buzzards Bay is some of the finest sailing waters in the country and basically runs the south cost of MA from the RI border to the Cape Cod Canal. Just about every port along here is full of yachting infrastructure and history - and there are plenty of marinas and YC’s to prove it. Access to Cape Cod and the islands are a big plus, Padanarum is my favorite harbor but Mattapoisett previously mentioned is also nice – as are half a dozen others. The conditions are typically SE heavy air in the afternoons (like clockwork) – Many have called the area the “east coasts SF Bay” – The CD’s were made for this area.

The other area is a bit closer to the towns you mentioned – Narragansett Bay. Bristol, RI would be my first choice (though I am a bit one sided here). It’s a nice area with good sailing from Newport to Providence. Easy access to points West (Fisher Island, CT, Long Island, Etc.) as well as East to Buzzards Bay, cape/islands. Overall I think things are a touch cheaper in RI then MA – so if cost is an issue this area may be your first choice. I typically don’t find the winds to be as strong - but I also think the anchorages are not as well protected as along BB.

As for where you currently live - I sail out of Hingham - not far from Marina Bay - and Boston Harbor is also a nice area. If you end up staying in Waltham this is definately a good choice. I would pick this over the coastal towns in the area like Marblehead (North) or Situate (South) - I always found the coastal MA towns to be a bit boring in that once you leave the mooring there isn't as much to do - all ocean. Still you can hop from harbor to harbor I supose so maybe it's just my perception...
Last edited by Adam on Jul 17th, '13, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.
GrFa
Stony Point, NY

Post by GrFa »

Adam wrote:You really have two basic Sailing locations for the area your thinking of moving to - Buzzards Bay and Narragansett Bay.

Buzzards Bay is some of the finest sailing waters in the country and basically runs the south cost of MA from the RI boarder to the Cape Cod Canal. Just about every port along here is full of yachting infrastructure and history - and there are plenty of marinas and YC’s to prove it. Access to Cape Cod and the islands are a big plus, Padanarum is my favorite harbor but Mattapoisett previously mentioned is also nice – as are half a dozen others. The conditions are typically SE heavy air in the afternoons (like clockwork) – Many have called the area the “east coasts SF Bay” – The CD’s were made for this area.

The other area is a bit closer to the towns you mentioned – Narragansett Bay. Bristol, RI would be my first choice (though I am a bit one sided here). It’s a nice area with good sailing from Newport to Providence. Easy access to points West (Fisher Island, CT, Long Island, Etc.) as well as East to Buzzards Bay, cape/islands. Overall I think things are a touch cheaper in RI then MA – so if cost is an issue this area may be your first choice. I typically don’t find the winds to be as strong - but I also think the anchorages are not as well protected as along BB.

As for where you currently live - I sail out of Hingham - not far from Marina Bay - and Boston Harbor is also a nice area. If you end up staying in Waltham this is definately a good choice. I would pick this over the coastal towns in the area like Marblehead (North) or Situate (South) - I always found the coastal MA towns to be a bit boring in that once you leave the mooring there isn't as much to do - all ocean. Still you can hop from harbor to harbor I supose so maybe it's just my perception...
Thanks for the advice Adam! I'm going to do some scouting today. FL Tripp in Wesport was recommended to me. You are echoing my exhaust thoughts on any areas close to Boston...not much to do once you unhook. I will be checking out Buzzards Bay and possibly a bit around Narragansett as well....going to ask the girlfriend's father for his blessing this afternoon. Wish me luck!
Greg Falk
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Summer/Winter storage at Marina Bay is about $5600. It's a full service marina and assistance in and out is available on short notice by VHF.

Much depends on how you intend to use your boat, how driving time affects that, etc., etc.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Adam
Location: Herreshoff 30 footer, Marshall 22, Typhoon Weekender

Post by Adam »

Tripp & Sons is an excellent old time Marina. The Westport River can be tricky with it's shoals and shallows - and its a bit of a trip by car to get there (no pun intended) as Westport Point is a fairly long drive down on the point - no easy way there. Beautiful town though.

In the same area:
Just East - check out the South Wharf Yacht Yards (In the old Concordia Yacht Yards) and the Concordia Company - Which moved down the road but own most of the Moorings - In South Dartmouth (Padanaram).

Just West: Right on the border of RI/MA is Little Compton/Tiverton - Both towns have some good moorings/Marina's and have access to good sailing.

Missed the blessing part - Good Luck!
GrFa
Stony Point, NY

Post by GrFa »

I just drove through Mattapoisett and the South Wharf YY. South Wharf seemed like a long enough drive off of 195 that I don't think I can handle Westport. I might cave and just choose on of the Brewer yards on Narragansett. Last weekend I drove all the way out little Compton which was also quite a haul. Mattapoisett was very nice though and could be a contender for sure.
Greg Falk
kerlandsen

Post by kerlandsen »

Just one more opinion to share.
We live in Newton and sail out of Cottage Park yacht club in Winthrop. 25 minute drive, we sail after work on Friday evenings.
What I notice is that we are sailing the second we leave the mooring. There is no 20 minutes of motoring to get to an open waterway. The kids love watching the planes landing. We have never slept on the boat at CPYC, due to the planes at Logan. The club is nice, food, bar. I winter at Crystal Cove, a few feet down the road. Others winter at Boston Boat works, or whatever the actual marina is called, on the other side of Logan.
Our cruising ground is Scituate and Buzzards bay and the islands, although it takes a few days to get to BBay.

We day dream about leaving the boat at Parkers Boat yard in Cataumet some summer, just the other side of the Bourne bridge, but that has its own complications, so we will just visit there often.

(its been two weeks and now I have a new fuel injector and mixing elbow, so I am itchin to get back out)

Kyle E.
casampson

Post by casampson »

You could also look at Sippican Harbor in Marion, one town east of Mattapoisett. The harbor is crowded but very well protected. You could have Barden's or Burr Brothers manage your boat for you. There is a strong southwest wind almost every day, especially after lunch. Sometimes it can be wicked.

Chris Sampson
Marion, MA
GrFa
Stony Point, NY

Post by GrFa »

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We have an excellent boat club in New York which is making this so difficult. New England is definitely more expensive. A slip with power and water where we are is about $1800, plus $800 or so for winter storage. It looks like it will be just about double everywhere I've looked. That is the real reason I said I might cave and just go to one of the Brewer Yards, as it would be the most convenient.

I had taken a look at Cottage Park and Marion looks nice as well. Luckily I have a while before I need to make a decision as the boat will not be coming up until next spring. I need some time to service the seacocks (I don't think its ever been done in our ten years of ownership) and install a dripless shaft seal (the bilge has always taken in water with no rhyme or reason).

Oh and both father and daughter said yes. My new fiance is lying her next to me as I type this!
Greg Falk
GinoDelG

Post by GinoDelG »

Check out Earl's in Fairhaven. This is our second year there and there is another CD "Chartly" as well. It's a straight shot across Buzzards Bay to Woods Hole. The sailing in the harbor is flat and often windy.

I think you'll find the prices more to your likely. Ask for the manager Kevin and tell him Gino Del Guercio suggested you call.
Chris Reinke
Location: CD330 - Innisfail (Gaelic for "A Little Bit Of Heaven on Earth"), Onset, MA

Post by Chris Reinke »

Greg - Congratulations on the new fiancé. Most of the Buzzards Bay harbors are excellent choices and since you can change from season to season the cost can be a significant factor until your sure the area is convenient. I am on my private mooring at the top of Buzzards Bay in Onset with our CD330, and the marina and yacht club are both a bit pricey compared to the other suggestions in Marion and Mattapoisett. We have winter stored our boat in Mattapoisett for several years at the Brownell yard. They haul at the Mattapoisett town ramp and have a storage facility about a mile away. They are GREAT to deal with and allow for DIY work in the spring. If your looking in the Buzzards Bay area they may offer you a lower cost winter storage alternative.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

kerlandsen wrote: We day dream about leaving the boat at Parkers Boat yard in Cataumet some summer, just the other side of the Bourne bridge, but that has its own complications, so we will just visit there often.
Here in Cataumet (I'm typing this looking out over Parker's mooring field), we do indeed have some wonderful sailing, sheltered harbors and convenient access to both the Cape Cod Canal for points north and Woods Hole for the Islands. However, to get to the lovely eastern shore of Buzzards Bay by land, you'll have to cross the Bourne Bridge and negotiate terrible traffic on Fridays and Sundays. This, I suspect, is one of the "complications" mentioned by Kyle.

If your schedule lets you get away during the week, I'd recommend looking seriously at Parker's or Kingman Yacht Center next door. Otherwise, I'd go with Chris's suggestions on the western shore of Buzzards Bay--you can always sail to this side and enjoy our sheltered coves and hospitality.

--Joe Myerson
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627