Cape Dory 330 Staysail Boom

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jcmacleod

Cape Dory 330 Staysail Boom

Post by jcmacleod »

I am looking for a staysail boom, boom pedestal mount and chainplate for a 1988 Cape Dory 330. I am considering purchasing this boat, but the current owner purchased the boat sloop rigged with those parts missing. I would like to be able to get the original parts and return the boat to its cutter rig , but I do not have measurements or part numbers. Would any of you 330 owners be able to provide me with the length of the boom and any stamped numbers on the boom itself that might be a manufacturer ident, or anything that might help identify the original equipment? I believe the existing spar and main boom are spartan but I am not sure. They are anodized. I have an email in to rig rite to see if they can help with original equipment replacement, but have not heard back from them yet.

Thanks in advance

John MacLeod
Paul D.

Re: Cape Dory 330 Staysail Boom

Post by Paul D. »

This link may help. It may not be the original item but it would likely work and look right with the other bronze hardware on our CD's. Height would be a factor to consider so the jib boom clears the cabin top rise and forehatch. Some folks on this board have had issues with Rig Right, however this item is listed in their catalog and may not present a problem.

http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/ ... _Pedestals

I would call Spartan Marine first to see if they have the original casting and can make you one, even if it is not listed in their catalog.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Russell

Post by Russell »

As someone who recently got rid of his staysail boom and is happier for it, I offer the following:

Firstly, converting your boat to a cutter in no way requires a staysail boom.

Secondly, if you must have a boom, why opt for the the CD origonal? You are in a position with a boat that never had one in the first place, technology has improved in the 25+ years since the boat was built, no need to try to replicate what CD did. I would consider on a boat that never had a staysail boom, a hoyt boom, though I recommend no boom at all, a hoyt offers more advantages then the more simple boom CD offered.

Too often CD owners I find get obsessed with doing things "original". It adds no value to your boat, these are not collectable antiques, doing things better then original however can add value to your boat. Alberg did design great boats, but he designed them decades ago. CD did build good boats, but they didnt do things perfect and they also built them decades ago. Boat building and boat design has come a long way since, I am not saying go buy a Benetaeu! Your CD is still a better boat, but its not "perfect". Examine why you want a staysail boom, since you can make a cutter style rig without it anyway, and if you still want it, examine why you would want a CD style boom rather then a hoyt, before you invest money and time into it. Starting from scatch with a CD that was origonally made with no boom or staysail, I cannot fathom why you would want to add a boom. The cutter rig is great and sensible, but you dont need a boom for it, I sailed years with a boom on my cutter rigged CD, and I am so much happier with the boat since I eliminated the boom but kept the cutter rig.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Jeff Barnes

Post by Jeff Barnes »

John,

I would echo much of Russell's sentiments regarding the addition of a staysail boom. I am about one week away from eliminating mine while still maintain the cutter rig and staysail which I view as one of Cape Dory's stronger attributes. I know when it's gone it will be one of my happier days (second only to the intallation of a QuietFlush toilet and refrigeration years ago). The more time I spend on my 36, the more that boom seems to get in the way and take up valuable real estate all for the sake of a self-tacking headsail. Also, from an appearance aspect the boat just plain looks nicer without it.

Best regards,

Jeff
jcmacleod

Post by jcmacleod »

Russell,
If you are single handed are you handling two sets of sheets for staysail and yankee when tackin g? Would you now need another pair of winches to handle the staysail sheet? The boat was originally a cutter rig and the hardware was removed. If a hoyt system was installed I would assume it would be mounted on the aft portion of the bowsprit like the original pedestal mount. Anyway , just curious on you handle the sails if by yourself.
Thanks
John
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I think the usefulness of the staysail boom is directly related to how you use your boat. If you are doing a lot of day sailing in and around crowded areas the self tacking feature is extremely useful. In very tight short tacking situations you can roll up the jib and just put the helm over at will. This is how I usually leave the mooring field if I am sailing off the ball. Once I am in the clear, I unfurl the jib and am on my way.

Even if you keep the jib up, it is still a lot easier to only have to handle one set of sheets.

For off shore sailing the boom serves little useful purpose. The lack of a boom would also simplify roller furling of the staysail.

I don't think this is a one size fits all kind of decision, Steve.
Russell

Post by Russell »

jcmacleod wrote:Russell,
If you are single handed are you handling two sets of sheets for staysail and yankee when tackin g? Would you now need another pair of winches to handle the staysail sheet? The boat was originally a cutter rig and the hardware was removed. If a hoyt system was installed I would assume it would be mounted on the aft portion of the bowsprit like the original pedestal mount. Anyway , just curious on you handle the sails if by yourself.
Thanks
John
Yes there are two sets of sheets to deal with when tacking, which I do not find to be an issue single handing. I set the windvane or autopilot, whichever I am using at the moment to tack the boat, then tack the staysail first, which is very quick to do. Then I tack the jib, the jib is ussually backwinded by the time I get to it, but no big deal. Yeah it takes a little longer to do it all. But I myself am rarely and mostly never sailing upwind in a tight fairway with other traffic where a quick tack is needed, but if I was I could still sail with staysail only and tack quickly even if not as quick as with the boom.

The mounting location of the hoyt system would probably be similar to the CD boom location, but i wouldnt count on it being identical, they probably have a webpage that goes into that.
Russell
jcmacleod

Re: Cape Dory 330

Post by jcmacleod »

If any of you 330 owners are out there, I need to get some measurements of the staysail boom on your cd330. I need the length of the boom and also the the height and width of a cross section on the end.....it will probably be oval so the widest length and the tallest looking at the boom from the end. Also any stamped numbers in the anodized metal that might indicate manufacturer or model. I need these to pass on to rig rite as I think they have this equipment in stock. I believe this is a spartan spar product. I have to email them these numbers......If only they would let me talk to someone there I could resolve this sooner , but this is rig rite we are talking about here. This would be for a 1988 Cape Dory 330 that is missing the boom, bronze pedestal mount and chainplate. The mount and chainplate is not the problem, just the boom. Any help would be appreciated
John
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

I would seriously consider contacting Dwyer rather than deal with Rig Rite once you figure out the size. I'm away from the boat so I can't measure it but I believe on our CD36 the staysail boom is something like a Dwyer DM375 or Spartan CD2. I would suspect the CD330 would be similar. Back when we had our West Wight Potter I needed a new gooseneck, Dwyer went above and beyond to get us the items before our vacation. I had also ordered a mast and step from Dwyer with similar great service. My only dealings with Rig Rite have be frustration.

https://www.dwyermast.com/default.asp
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
jcmacleod

Post by jcmacleod »

Rich,
Idid contact dwyer, but they would need the measurements and profile as well. I agree they would be better to deal with than rig rite. I know rig rite has the parts, but it is impossible to speak with a tech to nail it down. Hopefully someone with a 330 can send me those specs and maybe a picture or two , and I will be in business. I dont want to make a firm offer on boat until I get this straightened out.
John
Russell

Post by Russell »

I am curious, was the boat cutter rigged at one point? Or did it come from the factory as a sloop? If it came from the factory like that, you are probably missing some other hardware as well, such as the attachment point for the inner forestay to the mast. And the aft intermediate stays and chain plates for them.
Russell
jcmacleod

Post by jcmacleod »

Russell,

It came from factory as 330 cutter. The previous owner removed boom,pedestal and chainplate and apparently discarded them. Everything else is in place and rigged for a cutter., so it is just a matter of finding the parts for boom and pedestal. . John Lowe from Biddeford Pool Maine called me and he was on his 330 at the time and gave me the measurements I need plus I will also visit his boat and take pictures of the hardware and boom attacments and then see if rig rite has them all. That should clear things up, he was a big help. If rig rite cant help dwyer said send pictures and they will probably be able to do something
Thanks for all your help
John
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Or you could get a rough idea of the price if it is part of your sale negotiations and then wait. It seems like enough people are removing the staysail boom that sooner or later one will turn up. If it was off of a bigger boat it would be very easy to cut it down to fit. Once you sail the boat a while you might also decide the boom would get in the way and just stick with another set of sheets.

Unless you are planning a major journey right away you should be able to find a used one, Steve.
jcmacleod

Post by jcmacleod »

Steve,
I believe the boom is a spartan cd2 profile and your right , if someone on a 36 was removing theirs , it is probably the same profile and would just need to shortened.
John
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

Hey John

I removed the boom and related hardware from my C30 3-4 years ago. It's stored in an off-site storage. I'll be there Tuesday and will inventory the parts, measure the boom, and take a few pix. I'll post the info when I have it.

Forrest
Forrest Paddock
Houston, TX
Supporting this site through membership in the CDSOA, Inc. Member 420