I bought a Typhoon and found it has the wrong mast :^(

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sally Perreten

Re: I bought a Typhoon and found it has the wrong mast :^(

Post by Sally Perreten »

Ya know....even allowing for lens distortion, tell me....does that transom/counter shape look like what you see on your TYs? I sorta don't think it looks like Echo's - but she is 35 miles away and I can't at the moment check. I'll see if I can find any of our photos of that same angle for comparison.
Sally
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

In addition to the mast and mast step differences, the things that catch my eye as different are:
  • wooden companionway hatch - possibly someone upgraded to get the look
  • no bronze piece at the bow - possibly got damaged and not replaced
  • three chainplates on each side, rather than 2. This seems to be the least likely modification, making me think it is not a Ty.
But that said, were there really two boat builders building nearly identical boats at one time?
Last edited by mashenden on Jul 12th, '13, 12:51, edited 2 times in total.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

Our bronze bow fitting is so massive it's hard to imagine it being sufficiently damaged as to need replacing without damaging the bow beyond repair.

We have one cleat on our foredeck.
Sally
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

That is either a very pretty but heavily modified Typhoon or a very pretty boat of Alberg design by another manufacturer. The hull ID number should tell the tale. Advertising and selling a boat as one thing and it being another is not too cool. It is still a really nice boat no matter what it turns out to be, Steve.
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

The previous owner may well have thought it's a TY weekender - which it may be -and may have had no intention of misleading anyone. The chain of ownership would be interesting. I've often wondered who previously loved our Echo.

Sally
Hutch_north

Post by Hutch_north »

I took a hard look at the pictures -- IMHO, it's a Typhoon. Lots of differences, but to me, the hull, the covers and hatches for the chain plates, the vertical back of the cuddy, etc. aren't different than mine. (please pardon any misused nautical terminology :) Heavily redone, though.

I will look this afternoon, but I don't recognize the structure in the forepeak. My '80 has wooden shelves; I can't say until I look, but I do not believe my shelves have a fiberglass base which comes off the hull at 90 degrees (the base support for the shelves in the forepeak, in the pictures) towards the bow, in front of the chain plate access hatches. Also, the mast step is completely different than mine, and the brass or bronze bow piece is not there.

If it were mine, I'd raise the sails and see how she did. She is a beautiful boat.

The mystery lives on --
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

There might be a mast you could snag in Stonington, CT at Dodson Boatyard. For many years there has been a neglected TY Weekender languishing in the back of the yard, forgotten and neglected. We always wish someone would fix her up and sail her. I bet there is a mast in a shed there someplace. You might be able to put in on a truck delivering a boat south somewhere and they could drop it off in MD.

Just an idea. But maybe the rig you got with the boat will turn out to be just fine.
Sally
Hutch_north

Post by Hutch_north »

If you do replace the mast with a Ty mast, you will probably have to relocate the chain plates, and wii have to change the step as well.
billsimmeth

Post by billsimmeth »

shhiggins wrote:Thanks for the good wishes from all and I am glad to say that it looks like the dealer is making a good faith effort to remedy the situation; I will keep you posted!
Hi, any updates on how this is going? Hoping all the best for you.
Bill Simmeth - Delaplane, VA
TyWe 1176 "Whisper" - Fishing Bay, VA

Only dead fish go with the flow.
shhiggins

Post by shhiggins »

Hi all,

These comments have me wondering - just what did I buy?! The trailer is at the shop is being inspected at the moment so I cannot check the HIN on the boat, but the title has it as CPDD1402M77G.

I am awaiting a quote from Rig-Rite to see what it will cost to get a proper mast for it. Is there anyplace I can go to see specs on chainplate placement and standing rigging requirements (wire gauge, turnbuckles, etc) ? Would there be concerns about using a split backstay with an otherwise standard rig?

It is clear that the nose has been rebuilt but it looks solid. I sure would love to put a proper fixture on that as well; would Spartan be a place to look for it?

Would the surveyor be responsible for knowing what the as-intended mast design should be, or only to assess its condition?

Thanks again for all the great comments and warm welcome!

Steve
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Steve,

Just passing along another thought.

If you do opt for another mast, double check for overall mast height above the deck. If it is different from the original, figure on changing the stays and upper shrouds and very possibly the lower shrouds.

Compare sail heights to height of new mast for compatability.

Sometimes a split aft stay is used on a gaff rig mainsail. ???

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

Before you buy another mast and re-rig the boat try it out - It may have been re-rigged as a masthead rig instead of fractional. Also, the split backstay is great for using a block and tackle basckstay adjuster for sailing upwing in heavy air or letting it off to slide downwind. Your boat was listed as 18 feet when the CD weekender is 18.5 feet - measure its length stem to stern to see. She is a sweet looking boat and I like the brightwork - something I was thinking of doing to my Victoria. Once you try the boat out you may decide to keep it as is - you never know! If you do re-rig the boat, get open turnbuckles instead of the closed barrels that came with the CD. It is a lot easer to see how the rig is tensioned. I am not sure this is a C orinthian - the Corinthian I sailed on was 19 feet long and was open to the bilge in the keel and totally different interior. It also had a single backstay.
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I just compared the images with those I took of my 1976 Ty when I restored it a few years ago. There are many similarities such as the shape of the rudder (identical to mine), shelves molded into the interior liner (mine has a teak trim around the shelves), position of interior hatches (mine has masonite hatchboards); and the bronze eye forward of the chainplates (I removed mine during the restoration (probably wish I had left them to attach halyards). The companion-way hatch - I have 3 heavy teak boards for mine - these seem to be smaller and appear to be 4 and the "U" bolt and metal plate are missing from the upper board - this could have been all changed with the new hatch cover. The areas where I see differences include genoa track position - mine are on the toe rail vs on the deck (more inboard) - but that could have been a modification; lack of jib track on cabin top and associated clkeats on teak blocks, lack of a teak taff rail and aluminum half round trim on the stern (I left the aluminum trim off when I restored it); stemhead fitting (major casting where the toerails fit in nicely; the lack of teak trim plate at base of rudder post (newer Tys had a raised molded base). The wood hatch is very different and the intersection of companionway teak trim and seat teak trim also seem to differ from mine. There are also no teak bloske supporting cleats on the cabin top (could have been removed during a refit). The bow profile doesn't look as full as the Ty but that could be a photo distortion. Nevertheless, many items may have been changed during a major refit/restoration. Split backstay and mast info could have been the result of a dismasting and then retrofitted with something else. What a detective story - she is a good looker - should sail OK - would like to know mnore about her history or if it was a modification.
shhiggins

Post by shhiggins »

Hi all,

I took a few photos of the odd features that folks have pointed out, but I have not used any photosharing services out there. Does anyone have a recommendation for one that works well with this board?

Also, I asked for a quote for a mast assembly from Rig Rite and they are living up their reputation as a company with lousy customer service. I can assemble a parts list from their site but was wondering what one might expect a rigger to charge for labor to put the thing together.

And her name is now Kaylee, after my lovely bride who encouraged this adventure in the first place!

Best regards,

Steve
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Steve,

Two answers for the price of one. You can't beat that.

Many members use Photobucket photo service.

I personally use Picasa photo service. I found Picasa easier to use.

There are many ways to spell Kaylee. Obviously, Kaylee is the correct way for you and the admiral. :D

When I was young, the phonetic Kaylee had a different meaning. It is derived from Cailidh a Gaelic word roughly translated for a local town barn dance, or a Saturday night fun gettogether. Since then it has been shortened to caili and is a type of Irish step dancing.

With this earth shaking info and $5.00, you can get a double mocha latte from Starbucks. lol

Good luck with your project.
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490