I bought a Typhoon and found it has the wrong mast :^(

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

shhiggins

I bought a Typhoon and found it has the wrong mast :^(

Post by shhiggins »

Hola Cape Dory comrades!

A new soon-to-be member here with, unfortunately, a tale of woe. I am not sure exactly what to do and was hoping for some some advice from the community.

A few weeks ago I traveled from MD to FL and look at a 1977 Typhoon that was advertised as having an 'extensive refit'. For pictures, go here:

http://www.yachtcouncil.com/Used/18'0'' ... sel=125444

I met a SAMS surveyor at the boat who gave it a good bill of health, bought it for $8500, and brought it home. I went on vacation right after that and when I got home closely inspected the mast in anticipation of stepping it. Much to my dismay I discovered that it is not the right mast for this boat.

The source of my dismay is that, after paying far in excess the average market rate for what I thought was a good-condition Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender, I find that it is in fact not effectively a Typhoon Weekender at all: the mast and rigging is one half of the beautiful, classic design and key to the sweet sailing this boat is famous for. As it stands, the mast and rigging is not only wanting aesthetically but leaves the boat significantly underpowered, being roughly 70% of the Weekender design.

Had I known that that it was only one half of the boat I expected there is no way I would have bought it. While I expected to replace two shrouds and eventualy get new sails, now I find that I will have to spend at least an additional $3600 for a proper mast and other rigging. And as we all know this being a boat easy estimates are typically far to leeward of the mark.

Now that I am fully aware of of it's condition it is virtually impossible for me to sell it for anything near what I paid. The broker tells me that the seller was unaware of this but I find my credulity strained given the extent of renovation the hull has had. The surveyor's report assures me that is the hull is in good condition and in cleaning the boat it is very obvious that much care has been spent on it. I find it hard to believe that in all the time work was being done it was never pointed out that the rigging was all wrong for this boat.

With regard to the surveyor's report, while a few minor mechanical issues with the mast were noted, there is no mention of it being ill-matched.

I am trying to find out what my options are and I would like to know your thoughts.

Steve
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: I bought a Typhoon and found it has the wrong mast :^(

Post by tjr818 »

Wow! Was this boat stored at a boatyard? If so is there any chance that they just grabbed the wrong mast when they loaded the boat onto the trailer? I would call or visit the boatyard and see if, hopefully, there was a mix-up there. :(
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
bamabratsche

Post by bamabratsche »

That does not sounds like a great situation. What exactly is the issue with the mast--too short, doesn't fit in the mast step, or other? For what it's worth, Dwyer makes an extrusion that matches the original Typhoon mast, and I believe a new one would come to somewhere around $600:

https://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat ... M-375+Mast

I have bought some smaller items from them in the past (new spreaders, tips, spreader brackets, etc.) and they were very helpful matching everything to the original specs.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I have no special expertise in this area but I looked at a lot of Cape Dory Ty Weekenders several years ago before buying my 1977 Ty Weekender.

The acknowledged expert in all things "Ty" is OJ. Hopefully, he will post soon.

The hull, etc. definitely looks to be a Ty Weekender. Deck hardware, OB bracket, winches, coamings, etc. all look to be genuine Ty. The only thing I see that is very different is the tabernacle. I have never seen a tabernacle like in your photos on any Ty I ever inspected. Of course, I may well be wrong about this.

I think Tim may have a good suggestion. Perhaps they shipped the wrong mast. Unlikely, but possible.

When you inspected this Ty I assume the mast was up, etc. Whether up or not you say the SAMS surveyor checked the mast. If he did, he should have noticed it was not a Ty mast. That sounds to me like a big "boo boo" by the surveyor.

I would contact the surveyor and talk with him. I find it difficult to understand how a licensed surveyor would not recognize a "wrong mast", but I am a rookie so I defer to others.

If the seller/surveyor/broker are not willing to "make you whole" and compensate/refund you monies sufficient to offset the "wrong mast", then, sadly the only recourse you may have is to "unleash the lawyers" :!:

I wish you well in your efforts. If an owner of legitimate Cape Dory sailboat sold you the sailboat knowing it had "wrong" parts (wrong mast), that would be very surprising. In all of my dealings with many, many CD owners I only met one who I would not trust on a hand shake. In my experience (I admit I am a little biased) sailors, and Cape Dory owners in particular, are some of the most honest, decent folks I have met in my many years of NOT pushing up dirt.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

There are a few things on that TY that are not original but it is a damn pretty boat. Someone spent a lot of time cleaning and polishing as well as making some innovative changes. If your goal was to have a factory original TY you might have failed. If you wanted a very pretty little boat with great sailing characteristics you certainly didn't go wrong. I would change the name for sure but you might like the rig, Steve.
shhiggins

Post by shhiggins »

Thanks for the good wishes from all and I am glad to say that it looks like the dealer is making a good faith effort to remedy the situation; I will keep you posted!
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

A very nice looking craft - especially the hatch and hinged cockpit hatches. However it appears that the mast tabernacle is not the original and that there is a split backstay - indicating that there have been some rigging changes. The mast is either painted or carbon fiber - and could have come from another boat as suggested. Check the bottom of the mast to see if it fits on the mast step and see if there is a split backstay to confirm whether it is the errant selection at the yard.
Carl Thunberg

Split Backstay

Post by Carl Thunberg »

With the split backstay configuration, you may find you need to stay with the mast you have. It's hard to tell from the photograph, but if there are two backstays attached at the masthead, then they probably have the correct mast, if not the "right" mast. Whatever resolution you come to, it should definitely include rigging the boat on the trailer to make sure everything works. That should include raising the sails on a calm day. If the mast is shorter or taller than the factory original, then the sails should be proportionately smaller or larger. She sure is a pretty boat! I'm with Steve. Definitely change the name.

As for recourse, I doubt you have any. However, you may like the rig as-is. Presumably, they made these changes for good reason. The overall craftsmanship on the boat looks good. Hopefully that craftsmanship extends to the rigging.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

That's one pretty boat there, and your price was certainly reasonable. Unless you're a stickler for one-design racing, I'd tend to second Carl's advice. Having a tabernacle mast should make it easy to trailer-sail that Ty if you're so inclined.

If it turns out that you got the right rigging with your boat, change her name and enjoy her!

You'll still be welcome on this board and as a member of the CDSOA.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Selling and buying boats is something akin to the "bar scene" in Star Wars. The linch pin in your story is the Surveyor who gave it a "clean bill of health." For what it's worth, all roads lead back to that comment. Therefore, it is a simple matter of getting into that conversation. Sounds like you're having success. We wish you the best!
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

On the positive side, a great hull, paint job, cover, trailer and motor. Please let us know how above the deck line pans out.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

Are we very sure this is a TY Weekender? Awfully pretty boat, in beautiful shape. But something....maybe it's the angle of the photos....something is not looking like ours....the sheer, maybe....the keel configuration....I'm probably nuts :? .
Sally
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Hey Sally,

Welcome to our little club. I've been biting my tongue on this issue. Now that the can of worms is open, I have been wondering the same as you.

Check out the abnormal shape of the rudder (for starters). :?:

I wonder what the builder's plaque looks like or what the HIN # is.

Sail on, Sally

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Sally & OJ:

I think you're right.

That rudder doesn't look like a Ty.

Could it be a modified Corinthian? Also an Alberg design.

In any case, it's a pretty little boat.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

The Genoa track is not in the same place as ours, nor is the cleat on the coaming. These are changes someone might have made renovating, of course, along with the split backstay. And what looks like a different hull configuration could perhaps be wide angle lens distortion. I thought of this looking at her transom...it looks really wide and almost tubby in the photo that shows her name. This must be the wide angle effect, surely. And someone might have rebuilt her rudder.

There are mysteries
Sally