What to take on my first cruise?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

David Morton

What to take on my first cruise?

Post by David Morton »

Granted, it's only a two day trip, but it will be my first on a sailboat and single handed. It is also a boat new to me. I will interrogate the previous owner, ad nauseum, but I want to plan for the unexpected (within reason).

My current thoughts run to the following:

1. tools - besides the usual socket set and screwdrivers, wrenches, anything less common?, special tools?

2. spare parts for my CD25D - engine oil, transmission fluid, impeller? anything come to mind?

3. safety equipment - other that the usual CG required stuff?

4. Nav stuff, copy of Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast (of course!!)

5. cabin stuff - (don't forget the toilet paper!!)

Any ideas?

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Russell

Re: What to take on my first cruise?

Post by Russell »

dpmorton wrote:Granted, it's only a two day trip, but it will be my first on a sailboat and single handed. It is also a boat new to me. I will interrogate the previous owner, ad nauseum, but I want to plan for the unexpected (within reason).

My current thoughts run to the following:

1. tools - besides the usual socket set and screwdrivers, wrenches, anything less common?, special tools?

2. spare parts for my CD25D - engine oil, transmission fluid, impeller? anything come to mind?

3. safety equipment - other that the usual CG required stuff?

4. Nav stuff, copy of Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast (of course!!)

5. cabin stuff - (don't forget the toilet paper!!)

Any ideas?

David
Your standard tools mentioned will suffice. I would suggest carrying a multimeter though as well. And a couple good and bright flashlights with fresh batteries, a headlamp is handy too. Little mirrors on telescoping arms can also be a boaters best friend.

For a 2 day cruise, for spares I would carry an impeller, a fuel filter (if you have an on engine filter and an off engine filter, one of each at least).

For a couple days coastal cruising, the USCG requirements are fine. Make sure your flares and fire extinguisher are not expired. A hand held VHF is also a must have IMO, as a backup to the primary VHF.

Paper charts are always a must have IMO, even if you have a chart plotter.

For the cabin, lots of paper towels, I never seem to have enough! A laundry bag to put clothes in is good, these boats never have a got spot for laundry. Plenty of easy to eat snacks that do not require cooking since you will be single handing, be sure to have a variety (not just a pile of granola bars) as you want it to remain appatizing.

I normally suggest a snorkle, mask and fins, but up there in Maine even a wet suit perhaps. And a good sharp knife for cutting away whatever your wrapped your prop in.

And be sure your tow insurance is up to date!!
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

Thanks, Russell, the list is growing. Multimeter is a good idea, missed that one!

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Hi David,

It seems that we take for granted all or most of the obvious things to take with us. But there are plenty of minor things (in our minds) that if not included can make or break the trip.

° Prescription meds

° Cold drinking water

° Black vinyl elec. tape

° Vise grip and adj. pump pliers

° Wallet with credit card(s)

° Spare pair of glasses (as mentioned in a recent thread).

Some readers might say that these and other listed items are academic. Maybe rightfully so. But if you need any of them and don't have them on board, it makes for a looooong trip. :cry:

I think that it is good to prepare a list like you are now doing and add to it as you prepare to sail. Have a last minute checkoff before shoving off.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

David,
I'd second the other recommendations. You might want to pack some foods that don't require refrigeration (canned tuna, for example, or PP&J).

As for engine spares, you might also want to carry a spare belt for your alternator. Changing it on the fly can be a real PITA, but you should have one handy.

Enjoy your first solo cruise. I'm really envious, as my boat is still on the hard.

Fair winds,
--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

... or what you must not forget to take on your cruise.

I'm writing this with a big smile on my face :) remembering what we once forgot to have on board.

Joe mentions bringing canned tuna, etc. We once brought provisions for a grand and glorious cruise. We planned to have pasta with canned tomato and meat sauce for dinner. Oh boy, where's the can opener? Yup, you guessed what ensued. I wish that I had a video of Emeril trying his best to get into the gallon can with a rigger's knife. The air was blue in the galley.

If that wasn't bad enough, we had no way to light the stove. No matches, no striker, no nuthin'. One wag suggested to keep shooting flares at the pasta pot. lol

Oy vey, what a scene. :oops:

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Duct Tape!
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

bottomscraper wrote:Duct Tape!
As OJ would say, "Oy vey!"
How could we all forget that one?
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Russell

Post by Russell »

bottomscraper wrote:Duct Tape!
People always say that, mildly joking, and it IS useful. But more practical and very good to have onboard is a tube of underwater curing epoxy, that silly putty consistancy stuff that comes in a tube that you mix together with your hands. I buy a fresh tube every 2 years or so, its great stuff that could easily prove useful in a bad situation. I used to use it in my coral reef aquarium years ago, making things stick to each other permenently that were wet themselves, dirty and slimy as well and it still cured rock solid underwater. Think below the waterline issues, a blown shaft seal, a smallish hole, etc..
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Binoculars, camera and wet wipes. Do not try to flush the wet wipes or the other items down the head or you will need to include a rebuild kit, Steve.
nosara

Post by nosara »

1. Unlimited Boat Towing Insurance.
SV Krisan
CD178
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Lots of advice! I suggest that you break your "What to take?" list down by categories...

Safety... Life vest, harness, jacklines and the like. (Staying on the boat when it's underway is a really good idea!). First aid kit.

Navigation... Paper charts, hand bearing compass and plotting tools. Pencils and a little notebook. Extra batteries for the GPS. Binoculars. Foghorn/whistle.

Eating/drinking underway... Water and snacks you can access from the cockpit.

Misc... Cell phone charger. Sewing kit.

Etc... It's not a comprehensive list and I didn't repeat all that was suggested above.

Have fun and take pictures!!!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
NateHanson

Post by NateHanson »

I'd agree that in Maine, a wetsuit is good to have on board. Temps are still in the low and mid 50s at the offshore buoys. A wetsuit has come in handy once or twice, and there was another time, when I was a kid, that not having one made a bad situation worse for my dad.

Definitely have a handheld VHF, and I'd recommend wearing it on your PFD when single-handing.

Unless this is the last time you plan to single-hand, I'd strongly recommend buying a tiller pilot. They're very simple, and only a few hundred dollars. It was the best money I spent on our last boat. It takes stress out of every short-handed maneuver.

Nate
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Waterproof containers - for things like medicines and cellphone. Don't trust plastic bags for anything that is really important.

Signaling mirror - it is simple and it works. Requires no batteries. Next to a VHF or cellphone, it is the best signaling device, long-range in sunny daytime conditions.

Spare batteries - check flashlights and electronics (VHF, handheld radio) for battery type.

JM
John & Nancy Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Re: What to take on my first cruise? BABY WIPES!

Post by Terry »

While Steve mentions wet wipes, we use unscented baby wipes. We started using them when ouron kids were little, a long time ago, and stuck with them as they're so useful. We buy them by the big box that has a few large bags. While driving over the road, I use them when no shower is available. Unlike paper towel, no water is needed.

Was silicon spray mentioned? I like the stuff for slides and hinges and such.

I keep a length of dacron paracord on board. The plastic thingy whatchamacallit that attaches the sail to the slide broke one day, and I used a double wrap of paracord. A few more broke, and I continued the practice. Sure, doesn't look OEM, but it works nicely. Burn the cut edge to avoid fraying.

Enjoy your cruise. Take pictures. Post 'em.

Terry