Cockpit Table for Cape Dory 27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

VegaIII
Vega III
Charlotte, VT

Cockpit Table for Cape Dory 27

Post by VegaIII »

Vega III is a 1978 Cape Dory 27 (Hull #109) that is one of a few that I have seen that has factory installed wheel (Edson) steering. One of the benefits is that there is a cockpit table secured to the pedestal. I am thinking about converting Vega III back to the original design tiller steering. I have a good opportunity to do this, as it looks as if I am going to have to remove the original cockpit sole which has become quite spongy and replace it later this coming Fall. Eliminating the wheel steering will also reduce the likelihood of problems that always suround complex mechaniscal systems.

One of the things that I will lose is having a cockpit table that provides a place for eating and enjoying a meal at a nice anchorage.

The question that I have is what sort of options have people come up with for providing a cockpit table on the 27 or similar small pocket cruiser. I would like to try and avoid a complex set of brackets etc. if possible. Something that is stable, can be easily deployed and stored is likely the route I will have to go.

Appreciate any and all ideas.
Bill Goldsmith

Re: Cockpit Table for Cape Dory 27

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

A couple of different approaches to cockpit tables that do not require pedestal guard mounting:

This one looks complex:
http://www.webring.org/hub/boatmaintena ... Ehtml;rd=1

This one could fit in a receptacle on the cockpit floor:
http://www.go2marine.com/product/231874 ... ystem.html
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I use a varnished board that simply spans the cockpit seats. It's not suitable for tablecloth and candles but it provides adequate table space for casual dining and/or drinks.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Varnished on one side and a cutting surface on the other would give you a work table and a place to clean fish.

We do have a cockpit table on the pedestal which is very nice. I may just have to make up a board for Raven as we do not have a good place to clean fish. If I make it up for that purpose only it could also have a place to mount a vise. I had a clamp on vise aboard for a while but could only mount it on a fender board and there never seemed to be a great place to use it for work.

When we get a fish now, I always leave a stringer on it and clean it on the aft side deck. It is kind of hard to work in that area but fairly easy to clean up. At least I would not run the risk of dropping the fish overboard before it was cleaned. We had a nice fish for three people one time and after fileting half of it, I lost the other half. The nice fish turned out to be rather meager when half of it went to the bottom with the meat still on it, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>We had a nice fish for three people one time and after fileting half of it, ...<<

Filet and release?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I almost dove in after it but it was getting pretty dark and the water was cold.

At least the crabs got a nice portion, Steve.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

On the Cape Dory 25Ds, we have a table and metal post/rod that fits into a hole in the cabin and into a female plate on the underside of the table.

Someone, I forget who (possible Commodore Bill S., a/k/a "Barfwinkle") found a place where you could buy a similar female plate and screw it into the cockpit sole (or possibly it was a suction plate w/o screws). Thus, the table and post could be used in the cabin or taken up to the cockpit and installed there and easily removed.

If I recall correctly, CD 27s have a cabin table attached to a bulkhead. You might be able to find a CD 25D table, post, etc. to use in the cockpit.

This thread, if I copied it fully, shows a photo of what I was describing above.
http://www.capedory.org/board/search.ph ... 5D&start=0
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

This website may be contained within the thread I cited above. Not sure.

http://www.cgedwards.com/garelick/gar4.html

It seems to provide some good options for temporary cockpit tables, mounts, etc.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
VegaIII
Vega III
Charlotte, VT

Post by VegaIII »

Thanks for lots of good suggestions and ideas. It gives me plenty to think about over the summer. The simplicity of Neil's suggestion of the varnished board I like alot while the CG Edwards site gave me several good ideas as well. I have a very nice teak grate on the cockpit sole that sits about an inch off the sole itself. When the pedestal goes, there will be a hole of about 10" square left, some sort of bracket arrangement might work well there.
Ann and David Brownlee

Post by Ann and David Brownlee »

I made a tiller-mounted cockpit table for our earlier "Windrush," CD 27 no. 181. I trimmed a piece of plywood with teak edges and then made a wooden saddle, keyed into the bottom of the table with two wooden pegs and notched on the bottom for the tiller. The saddle was removable, and the saddle and table were fastened together and to the tiller by a big stainless bolt with a butterfly nut, which passed through the tiller extension hole in the tiller. To dine, the tiller needed to be lashed on the centerline. It stored under the forward bunk cushions, looked nice, and was easy to set up. But we almost never used it!
Ann and David Brownlee
Cape Dory 31 #1 "Windrush"
Havre de Grace, MD
VegaIII
Vega III
Charlotte, VT

Post by VegaIII »

Thanks for a great suggestion. I really like your idea. Would you be able to supply a picture of hoW the table looks? It would help me think about my options.
Ann and David Brownlee

Post by Ann and David Brownlee »

We don't have a photo. I've sent you a message by email.
Ann and David Brownlee
Cape Dory 31 #1 "Windrush"
Havre de Grace, MD