Rig-Rite, again

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

barfwinkle

Re: Rig-Rite, again

Post by barfwinkle »

Joe if you haven't already, it might be worth the cost of a phone call to call dwyer mast!

Fair Winds

https://www.dwyermast.com/contact.asp
Bill Member #250.
Russell

Post by Russell »

I agree, give Dwyer a call, they may have something that fits and has you back in the water and sailing before RigRite gets around to making yours. And I would be willing to bet for cheaper too. If they dont even plan to make your part for another 2 weeks, I see no reason to feel bad about canceling the order and getting a refund. RigRite really does not deserve anyones business, I can only think they remain in business because so many of us with old boats think they are the only option and thus have a pseudo monopoly, but there is always something else that works.

Someone should really point out to them all the threads on this board about them over the years (but not until Joe gets his part in his hands, wouldnt want them delaying things out of spite or something).
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Russell

Post by Russell »

Also, webmasters, any chance of putting a note on the "Parts & Suppliers" page where RigRite is listed, about the frequent issues many people here have with them? A word of caution is in order I think.
Russell
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Bill and Russell:

I'll contact Dwyer tomorrow. I'm not sure which mast section is closest to my 25D, but they have two goosenecks that look suspiciously like the pieces that I'm thinking of having custom made. In any case, I'll cancel my order with Rig-Rite tomorrow. The person I spoke to said I could still cancel, which sure indicates that these imbeciles haven't even started work on my order.

Enough vitriol ... but I agree that we should put the word out about this company, again. I can't say that I hadn't been warned. (Wasn't it Einstein who reportedly defined insanity as "doing the same thing over again and expecting different results?" I guess I fit that definition.)

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

FWIW I called Dwyer about a CD27 mast and they indicated they didn't have a means to make one of the correct dimensions.

I believe one of their standard boom sizes lines up with the Spartan boom, though.
Russell

Post by Russell »

If Dwyer cant help you, for what its worth, my gooseneck is made by selden (when I put a new boom on I replaced it), its a "universal" gooseneck, hinged so it can fit most mast sections, as long as the pin size for the boom attachment is the same, this could work as well, though the width of the bracket may be an issue, especially since its all metric. Another company to check with would be Charleston Spars/Sparcraft. But Dwyer is really your best option as their spars are far more traditional without all the fancy modern stuff.
Russell
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

I'd like to replace my goose neck because there is no reef hook or horn. When I reef I run a line from a cleat on the mast through the reef cringe and to another cleat on the mast. I just looked at the Dwyer link posted above and not certain what would work.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I like the Cape Dory set up for reefing the tack. At first I thought it was a little weird but it helps you control the sail. I like being able to pull down on the sail and it never flops around on a sail slide.

I run one long line and feed it back through the second reef, once the first is in, Steve.
Joe Myerson

Post by Joe Myerson »

My gooseneck, the one that I have to replace, has a double reef horn ( by Schaefer I believe) attached to the horizontal pivoting bolt. There appears to be a Dwyer gooseneck that might work, with modifications, but I'm not sure the reefing horns will fit.

Getting back to Rig-Rite, I cancelled that order.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Joe Myerson wrote:Getting back to Rig-Rite, I cancelled that order.--Joe
Did you tell them why you were canceling :?: If so, what did they say :?:

I still cannot understand how this company stays in business with zero customer service.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Joe Myerson

Post by Joe Myerson »

Sea Hunt Video wrote: Did you tell them why you were canceling :?: If so, what did they say :?:
I still cannot understand how this company stays in business with zero customer service.
Robert:
When I reached a "human" who said it would take another two weeks or more, I said I' be looking for another solution. She asked me to cancel if I found one. She didn't seem concerned.

They've got sort of a stranglehold on this particular little part of the market, and don't seem the least worried about customer reactions. I suspect many monopolies operate this way. (No, I'm speaking economically--not politically.)
--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Joe Myerson

Post by Joe Myerson »

CORRECTION:
The stainless reefhorn piece is by Spartan, so my existing gooseneck must be original.
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Ann and David Brownlee

Post by Ann and David Brownlee »

Two years ago we discovered that our mast had split open between 3 and 5 feet from the heel, apparently from the expansion of water that was trapped in the mast by a clogged drain hole and froze during the winter. We had to buy a replacement (fortunately with the assistance of our insurance company--Allstate), and our rigger ordered it from RigRite. The first extrusion was out of spec at one end--too large or small for the end fitting, I forget which. So another spar had to be ordered from RigRite. This did not happen quickly or cheaply, but we did get our spar. We never dealt with them directly. Our rigger said that no other manufacturer's extrusion matched what we had.
Ann and David Brownlee
Cape Dory 31 #1 "Windrush"
Havre de Grace, MD