Replacement Sink Faucet for CD 27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

shinchman

Replacement Sink Faucet for CD 27

Post by shinchman »

Has anyone identified a replacement for the old Peters and Russell sink faucets in the CD 27s? Mine is shot and the PARs are not made any more. Its a tight spot - the 45 degree angle top pump does not seem to be available by any maker.

Two possibilities I have identified: Fynspray WS63 -- http://www.imtra.com/2a5cfbd4-cb7d-48fc ... detail.htm

and the Whale Flipper MK IV -- http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... Pump+MK+IV

Anyone tried either, or have a better solution?

Steve
rorik

Re: Replacement Sink Faucet for CD 27

Post by rorik »

I have one of these for sea water in the galley sink. Works fine, albeit a tad noisy.

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/fynspray ... ight-spout
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

shinchman wrote:
Anyone tried either, or have a better solution?

Steve

This is a completely different approach but I don't think you would be disappointed if you switched to a foot pump and spout.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... +MK+3+Pump

It would be, mostly, a matter of finding a convenient spot for the pump.

We have one of these that we use for sea water with the option of switching over to our fresh water system in the event of an electrical pump failure. The foot operation gives you both hands free to make more efficient use of the water you are pumping. You have great control of how much water you pump and it will move a lot of water quickly if you want it to, Steve.
shinchman

Post by shinchman »

Curious how you tap into the seawater. The CD 27 has 6 seacocks (two for cockpit drain, one for sink drain; one for engine; one for head intake; one for head waste). Did you add one?

Also the CD 27 sole has a chine (so to speak) on port and starboard sides - foot pump would almost have to be in mid-air.

But I love the idea.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Well I suppose the proper way to have accessed sea water for the foot pump would have been to add a seacock. It would have been fairly easy to mount one under the sink cabinet if the boat had been out of the water when I chose to do this. The problem with that location is that you might well be sucking up the back wash from the sink drain and the direct discharge for the head is kind of up stream while sailing. Another location would have been very difficult to access. It would also require a strainer along with the through hull and seacock as well as one more hole in the boat.

I talked to quite a few people about teeing off of the engine seawater intake and was cautioned but not completely discouraged about going that route. Not one to make things more difficult than they have to be, that is the route I took. The engine through hull already has a strainer and a Groco strainer in the line.

I teed off the line where it enters the raw water pump and extended the hose to a stainless steel ball valve so the foot pump can be shut off from the engine intake. We try to close it every time we run the engine but have certainly forgot to do so at times. The foot pump has check valves so it isn't a problem unless they fail. I could have also teed in the fresh water line but chose to keep it completely isolated by disconnecting it and plugging the end. If we would ever have a pressure pump failure it would simply be a matter of taking off the seawater line and hooking up the fresh water one.

I have found that the seawater pump has done more to extend our water supply than anything else we could possibly have done. We used to wash dishes in the cockpit and then rinse in the sink. Now everything is done in the galley and we can use tons of salt water. I use salt to wash my hands and brush my teeth. A very slight fresh water rinse takes away the salt residue.

Fortunately the foot pump was already mounted on Raven. It is meant to go on a vertical bulkhead and ours is about 6" off the sole, so you may have a spot for it, Steve.
Andy Denmark

Post by Andy Denmark »

Here's the Whale Gusher Mk III foot pump installed --- EZ to do, not in midair either

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/9470 ... otpump.jpg
s/v Rhiannon

"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid ...
Andy Denmark

Post by Andy Denmark »

Here's a rear view of the Whale Mk 3 foot pump installation.

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/7268/sbf0.jpg
s/v Rhiannon

"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid ...
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Andy Denmark wrote:Here's the Whale Gusher Mk III foot pump installed --- EZ to do, not in midair either

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/9470 ... otpump.jpg
We own Sláinte, a 1981 CD27. I would like to install a foot pump, but Sláinte has an electrical panel installed right where you have the pump. I will have to explore a little more this weekend (if the flooding has receded enough for us to get to the dock. :roll:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
gvanbell

Re: Replacement Sink Faucet for CD 27 - Seawater

Post by gvanbell »

There are, I am sure, a million ways to do the plumbing for the sing. Our installation was complicated by the addition of a hot water tank, which required the use of a 12 volt pump. We replaced the existing sink with a simple stainless bar sink and a small mixer faucet. I put a 12volt pump inline (it's under the port side settee).

I also added a sea water faucet. I used a small Whale V manual pump (it adjusts vertically and fits easily under the overhang). I plumbed this to the sea water intake for the head. It's a long hose run, but better than plumbing it off the engine. You really, really don't want any chance of getting an air lock in the engine raw water.

The other thing I did is plumb the icebox drain to the manual pump. It basically "drains" into the intake line for the seawater, so when we pump raw water, it pulls the water from the bottom of the icebox into the sink and overboard, rather than into the bilge.

I have photos and diagrams of all of this stuff.

-g